tanky creature with rider weaponry?

kolpo

Hello what is a very tanky creature which allows rider weaponry? I want to use it to "tank nacro" certain creatures: shooting nacro arrows at it while you let it attack your mount, hopefully downing it before it kills your mount.

I use a drake a lot to knock out creatures u can use weaponry on there back and good ones can have 15k plus health so tanking is pretty easy with them. Should probably work for anything but a giga or maybe a really high lvl rex I've used it to down 100 plus megalos before with a lot of health still left after it started running and they work well for pinning the creatures up against cliffs after the start running as well

Thylos - not because they are tanky, but because they are reasonably fast and are "all-terrain". So you can easily climb on a cliff and shoot your target from safety. If you have Aberration then Rock Drakes are even better.

Griffins are a perfect tame for the job as well - they are fast flying mounts that allows rider weaponry.

2 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Thylos - not because they are tanky, but because they are reasonably fast and are "all-terrain". So you can easily climb on a cliff and shoot your target from safety. If you have Aberration then Rock Drakes are even better.

Griffins are a perfect tame for the job as well - they are fast flying mounts that allows rider weaponry.

1 hour ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Megatherium gets the job done well.

I approve these messages. It's science.

Megatherium would have been a good option but when you are not walking or running they stand upright.

If your goal is to stand there while it attacks you without moving, megatherium probably won't work.

I would suggest a griffin. You can hover over the tame while looking down. If done properly, the tame will just sit Under you looking up while you shoot it in the face.

For land mount I would go thyla, their head doesn't block your LOS, while rock drake do when looking straight in front.

Unless I'm taming a creature that deals direct damage to the mounted player, I prefer an Anky if I'm trying to face-tank what I'm taming. In my experience, it's got a solid balance between being tanky and still able to defend itself. That said, I'm not so much of a face-tank tamer. If I'm not trapping I typically go for mobility...dodge and weave. 

On 12/03/2018 at 12:29 PM, DarthaNyan said:

Shooting from rock drakes from any position but perfectly horizontal is still bugged, Wildcard. Been reported here on the forum, still bugged months after release.

Iguanodons are a good lower level option. With a few points in health they aren't terribly fragile, plus they can outrun pretty much anything while on all fours and have insane stamina. Their attack isn't half bad either. Of course once you can time more upper-tier type creatures there are better options, but I've tamed spinos while mounted on an iggy. 

5 hours ago, UnknownZombie said:

Don't forget about the trusty ol Triceratops.. Way easier to get than anything else mentioned. Just face it towards what you're shooting at, and let its head armor work its magic.

Surprise! Trike's head armor only works against player or turret generated shots/projectiles. Dinos tamed and wild alike as well as players' melee attacks ignore these kinds of multipliers for specific dino parts.

13 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

How do Thylos compare to Ravagers as a mobile, tanky mount ?

Tankiness vs. Mobililty.

In my experience, Thylos are a different kind of mediocre than Ravagers for tank-taming. They can tank a bit better in my experience, but they're limited by their close-quarters mobility when a weapon is being used while mounted. If you're in a situation where you know you won't have to move too much, the Thylo would be the better choice between the two. If you're in a situation where you will have to move and re-adjust positions while you attempt to tame, the Ravager would be the better choice between them.

If you're attempting to tame from a wall/zipline, I'd go for the Ravager. It is similarly more mobile and precise than the Thylo climbing a wall. If your goal is to have a furry tank-tame mount, I'd go with the bear...can't wall climb or zipline, but it beats them both in mobility and tankiness.

Moral of the story is that there are pros and cons for using various animals you can shoot from to tame other animals. Different situations/locations require different strats, same with the dino being tamed.

3 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Surprise! Trike's head armor only works against player or turret generated shots/projectiles. Dinos tamed and wild alike as well as players' melee attacks ignore these kinds of multipliers for specific dino parts.

Damn, really?? I've spent all this time making sure I fight stuff head-on with my trike and it doesn't even matter? :Jerbmad:

Archived