Ragnarock Dino cap woes

Dropy

So being a fairly new player here my main playtime is spent on The Center. However my friend and I made toons on Ragnarock, which I find very enjoyable also, too tame Griffs, Vultures and Wyvs to take back to The Center and enjoy.  My issue is....Ragnarock is Dino cap'd. Well Ragnarock 14 is. And from what I am told all Ragnarock servers are cap'd.

I started on an island server that was recently shutdown along with 49 other servers. This caused an influx to other servers and maybe assisted with the dino cap? How is a new player to on these Dino cap servers to get anywhere in the game? Remove the server transfers of dinos? Guarantee ATLEAST a minimum number of tames for each person?  

If there is a Ragnarock server, or way to find such a server, that is not at cap all the time then please someone let me know. I would appreciate it. 

Frustrated.

So thanx for the posts folks however neither answer my question here. I was told if the server is less than 100 days old it is not at cap. However after logging into said servers I found out they were already at cap, from what I was told from those already there.  I am not sure which servers are the new ones. Guesse its those with the fewest days on them. 

A guaranteed minimum tame amount would still be nice.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, Dropy said:

So thanx for the posts folks however neither answer my question here. I was told if the server is less than 100 days old it is not at cap. However after logging into said servers I found out they were already at cap, from what I was told from those already there.  I am not sure which servers are the new ones. Guesse its those with the fewest days on them. 

A guaranteed minimum tame amount would still be nice.

Because people already transferred over, spammed hundreds of rafts/platforms to "reserve" slots.

Just a thought, but maybe find a dedicated server with vanilla rates (or rates that you prefer) clustered with maps that you like? I'm not saying that dedi's are immune to dino cap, just saying that I haven't seen any. Finding a good admin is the hard part with finding a good dedi experience. I have been on the server i am on for about 6 months and love it, populated enough to make it interesting but sparse enough that good building spots are available. Play ARK how you want to play it, but to me official is overcrowded and undersupported.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been to a newly opened Rag Server, and I am surprised people haven't tried to be a jerk and cap the server immediately. Few of the newer servers I tried to pillar to build a base, I already seen a few culprits already beginning to spam rafts right under my nose, with like what, already 50 rafts on water and still building and its at every island i flew past, someone with a transmitter, a player, and a ton of rafts; only one dino, and thats their flyers. Its irritating, really.

1 hour ago, flamron said:

Wildcard is taking action by providing only four breeding events a year going forward. They also ran the Easter event for 10 days to let you tame the pretty colors instead of having to breed countless times. 

It's genius actually. I love replacing my old plain Jane dinos with high level colored ones. EMPHASIS on replace. Tame a new one, kill the other. I won't even sell off old dinos bc of cap. It's a serious issue. There are several people on my server who have stocked to many eggs that they are getting rid of their kibble dinos. I have 600 compy eggs. I'll never use that amount so bye bye compies.  I already have my colorful kentros so no more compies. 

That's what people have to do, kill off what they don't need and stop hoarding old stuff. Why do you still need dilos? Why do you need 40+ thylas? 20+ gigas? Kind of ruins the game for everyone else

The problem is that the game is built on climbing a ladder of dino tames and breeding till you can build your dream base and breed an army of bosskillers (several times).    Exacerbated by the mutations and other reasons to breed dinos, and the extreme difficulty of bosses like Alpha Dragon that require many generations of breeding.

This in turn feeds a marketplace, one of the effects of which is that certain tribes use other servers as Storage.   They'll deposit 500 dinos in a cubed base, log in once a week to feed them, and that's all...adding nothing to the server's community or anything, just taking up cap space.    This is really just the tip of the iceberg too, there's issues because of the kibble tree and the need for an imprint egg laying set, there's issues in the lack of "natural" threats that force population attrition, there's issues in server transfers being abused, etc etc.

What we really need is a form of "storage", like a tek device or obelisk upload ability that lets us store dinos or in lore terms their "genetic code" and harvest eggs from such on demand.      Storing "boss groups" in stasis would also free a lot of tame slots.     Etc etc

17 minutes ago, Migol said:

They'll deposit 500 dinos in a cubed base, log in once a week to feed them, and that's all...adding nothing to the server's community or anything, just taking up cap space. 

You might consider using the standard solution for this problem and simply coax a sufficiently dangerous natural threat to their storage base and eliminate the problem.  Rinse and repeat as needed, until they realize that a storage facility on that server is a bad idea.

1 minute ago, Ranger1 said:

You might consider using the standard solution for this problem and simply coax a sufficiently dangerous natural threat to their storage base and eliminate the problem.  Rinse and repeat as needed, until they realize that a storage facility on that server is a bad idea.

Offline protection, PVE server, nothing happens.  

1 hour ago, Ranger1 said:

Our storage server bases have behemoths around them. Good luck getting something inside before I either eat it with a 500 melee giga or simply log off for the ORP timer. 

On 4/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, Ranger1 said:

Have done that to someone who had a side account of I kid u not 300+ thylas. Why do they need that many, killed off a good majority of them before it was in turn killed itself. 

Kibble rework, dino cap increase, or a storage device should eliminate the problem.

However, we all know what happens when the server crashes and dinos are uploaded so I can see it as a bad thing.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, Ranger1 said:

A smart player learns. 

A few on our server did just this. Brought golem's and a giga and killed 37 of a players Wyvern's. Caused the guy to A) glitch the scar for weeks by dropping eggs B) place a large swarm of metal pillars in the desert making it very laggy and hard to get anything to the base C) build a raft and fill it with dodo's far enough out that getting a Giga to it would drown the Giga and with the disable of leeds finding an alpha mega to kite to it while they are on for their weekly feeding has to be timed just perfect D) get his friends from other servers to pop over and tame a bunch of dodo's or something and place them in a metal box until they despawn in a week E) import even more dino's as he sells off the old ones

There's a lot more to this that is currently being investigated but if you kite the right player they can cripple an entire server with a few actions. 

On 4/9/2018 at 11:56 AM, Migol said:

What we really need is a form of "storage", like a tek device or obelisk upload ability that lets us store dinos or in lore terms their "genetic code" and harvest eggs from such on demand.      Storing "boss groups" in stasis would also free a lot of tame slots.     Etc etc

Really good idea IMO.  Storage bases are a huge problem in the game.  People store dinos on a server they don't play on, or even a server they do play on.  You might want to have "boss rexes" available to use when you need them but don't need them on server all the time.  This would not only help cap issues but SEVERE lag as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2018 at 11:16 AM, CruelJustice said:

Really good idea IMO.  Storage bases are a huge problem in the game.  People store dinos on a server they don't play on, or even a server they do play on.  You might want to have "boss rexes" available to use when you need them but don't need them on server all the time.  This would not only help cap issues but SEVERE lag as well. 

Bad ideia. If the server reaches the limit again, you will not be able to download your dinos, as it happens today.

• 3 weeks later...

What if there was a per player quota?  With a min/max of dinos per player and a timer on how long an inactive players dinos lasted...which I guess there is as they'll starve.  But then the personal min/max per player could be used for their tribe, so a tribe's max number of dinos is found by adding up all the players possible tames.  Have a tribemate who doesn't log into the server for a certain amount of time?  He gets dropped from tribe and the total is reduced.  Maybe.

12 hours ago, Jezhryth said:

What if there was a per player quota?  With a min/max of dinos per player and a timer on how long an inactive players dinos lasted...which I guess there is as they'll starve.  But then the personal min/max per player could be used for their tribe, so a tribe's max number of dinos is found by adding up all the players possible tames.  Have a tribemate who doesn't log into the server for a certain amount of time?  He gets dropped from tribe and the total is reduced.  Maybe.

Tribe cap is tribe cap. It's not player specific. A 1 player tribe has a 500 limit. A 10 player tribe has a 500 limit (PS4). If a tribe mate stops playing other tribe members can kill his dino's. 

Dino's auto decay after 7 days if not rendered in. 

Oh, I understand that's the way it works currently.  But if they adjusted it so that it were the way I describe, the server cap wouldn't hit the average player so hard.  I can't think of a good reason why a 1 player tribe would need 500 dinos.  If the tribe cap were based on a per player cap, it would seem more fair and not hard to handle in code.  Seems like an easy, more fair way to handle things.  And it could be a server setting so that private/non-official servers weren't affected.

Archived