How to explain ARK to someone who has never played it before?

Evo99

Hello everyone,

today I was trying to explain ARK to someone who has never played the game before and hasnt even seen any gameplay about it.The only thing the person knew about ARK was that it is a dinosaur survival game. I wonder how you guys would  explain ARK and what would you think is the best feature in ARK (e.g. taming,breeding,raiding, building, exploring...)?

When I was trying to explain it, it took me ages to even find a beginning because there is too much you could talk about when talking about ARK. ARK pvp  politicts where the hardest to explain :D honestly how would you  to explain that poop without leaving out any important aspects  ^ ^

Guest DJRone89
6 minutes ago, Evo99 said:

Hello everyone,

today I was trying to explain ARK to someone who has never played the game before and hasnt even seen any gameplay about it.The only thing the person knew about ARK was that it is a dinosaur survival game. I wonder how you guys would  explain ARK and what would you think is the best feature in ARK (e.g. taming,breeding,raiding, building, exploring...)?

When I was trying to explain it, it took me ages to even find a beginning because there is too much you could talk about when talking about ARK. ARK pvp  politicts where the hardest to explain :D honestly how would you  to explain that poop without leaving out any important aspects  ^ ^

My RL friends thought it was insane when I expained official rates to tame and breed stuff.

They aren’t wrong.

Ark is a game where you play a survivor on an Island, that's floating in space and populated by dinosaurs and other creatures.
At first you don't know what's going on, but as you learn to die in numerous ways, and finally succeed at establishing a small base for yourself, you learn that all of it is an experiment.
The goal is to create some kind of ultimate life-form since the human race has gone extinct.

You can either follow the story and try to learn everything there is about the game, or you can play online and for a serious ass-whooping and crappy gameplay on official servers, or try your luck on the numerous unofficial servers trying to find something that suits your play-style.

The game requires dedication, flame shields and good salt filters.

Guest DJRone89
6 minutes ago, Evo99 said:

In a way that is true. But you got to see the game from a perspective where you are actually able to play it lol. ARK is based on an idea that no other game could replicate before.

If the fact the only thing going in their favour is that no other game can replicate a similar experience, that isn’t necessarily a good thing.

It just means that some people may just continue playing because of that reason, and have to endure all of the flaws that go with it.

an absolute grindfest packed to the brim with troll dinos including such notable cast members as evil little thieving rat demons that have the health of a creature many times there size. gun nut seagull pelicans that will straight up steal your shotgun from you and probably eat it. derpy "pacifist" sauropods that think its fun to push you off cliffs. and mach 20 chickens of doom that will end you if you so much as think about mounting a dino. and a mobile game over screen in a godzilla costume that weakens to only slightly better than a rex when tamed. but occaisionally cool stuff happens but no matter what that high level dino will 99.9% of the time be a color you hate and its minimum level comrade will look amazing.

Guest DJRone89
1 minute ago, Havokpaintedwolf said:

no matter what that high level dino will 99.9% of the time be a color you hate and its minimum level comrade will look amazing.

“Oh look at the beautifully coloured dino, I bet it’s level 15!”

As much as i try and find a simple way to explain why i put 2100hrs into a dinosaur survival game to my NonGamer friends.. Trying to compare it to a widely known similar game.. Heres an actual conversation i had with a 45yr old NonGamer during one of our poker nights..

"You play pc games..Whats your favorite game? "

"Ark Survival Evolved.."

"Oh ive never heard of that.. Whats it like"

"Think minecraft, crossed with Turok/Dino Crisis, with 4k graphics,primitive tech and futuristic technologies." It kinda seems silly when they immediately cling to the concept of Minecraft.

"So its like minecraft!? I know that game my kids play that.."

"NO its NOT minecraft. Its way more complicated.. Its way better.."

"Ok.. So it has dinosaurs..? Must be likethose jurrasic park films..?"

"If the crew on JP had to craft their own tools guns gear and buildings by hand.. Then were able to tame, ride and breed such dinosaurs.. then yea i guess its sorta like that.. really just watch the trailer!"

8 hours ago, Evo99 said:

In a way that is true. But you got to see the game from a perspective where you are actually able to play it lol. ARK is based on an idea that no other game could replicate before.

At least until Pokemon and some of the other "catch em and battle em all" genre games that have been around for over 20 years decide to finally fully step into modern day 3-D gaming.

Easiest way to 'describe' a game for people now a days though is simply show them gameplay videos so they can actually see how it is.

Guest DJRone89
5 hours ago, KrystalN2 said:

A game to play if you want to spend a month of your life creating something and then waking up to it all destroyed.

This is only an issue for noobs who don’t know how official PvP works.

Personally, If I ever played it again, I’d be the most toxic player I could be. That’s my personality when it comes right down to it. I’m a troll.

However, I enjoy Ark without the PvP aspect of the game. But with that said, official PvE can be just as toxic, if not worse because you can’t just fight back, so noobs have a hard learning curve either way.

Back to the topic specifically, even when I talk about my unofficial to my RL friends, they still call me crazy - for hosting. Can’t win.

Wow, so many jaded responses.

Tell your friend that it is a survival game like no other on the market, that lets you die in never imagined ways. And along the way, you get to tame and ride all sorts of prehistoric creatures.

But most importantly, tell them that you get to tame and ride your own pet T-Rex (or Spino) depending on what their favorite dino is.

DO NOT forget to tell them that you can make them roar on command and eat other dinos. They will be hooked and playing tomorrow.

Archived