Dedicated server problem

I just managed to setup a dedicated server on my computer so i could play with a friend.

At first i did forward all the ports for ark servers and steam.  After that i could join(in LAN) but not my friend, so i thought it was my new ISP that wasn't allowing me to open these ports.  I verified with ports checking websites and none of them were open.  I live in Canada and switched to Bell, since then no port forward have been working, with my previous ISP i was able to open the same port and make an ark server that worked.

I didn't know what to do so I tried to use a higher port : 40000 and query port 40001    :     ?Port=40000?QueryPort=40001?listen    (server startup batch file for shootergameserver.exe )

Opened both of these ports for UDP and TCP, because i wasn't sure which one it was.  Now my friend can join, and i can see the server is opened on https://arkservers.net but on my side when i try to join from the website, steam says the server is not responding.

Now i'm not sure what to do so i'm asking for help.

Thanks !

6 hours ago, Thorium said:

If steam says the server is not responding wait a few seconds and hit refresh, sometimes it takes multiple tries. It's a steam issue.

Tried. Didn't work. Thank you for responding. 

Then I tried searching for my server from steam. (In Steam, go to View -> Servers.)  Went on the friends tab(my friend was connected on the server) and i could see my server, but it said not responding.

Then asked two other friends and they could see it was on.  My brother on the same network as me couldn't see it on.

I think it's probably a network issue not letting LAN connection go through, but still i'm hosting the server...

On 3/4/2018 at 8:18 PM, MikeWazomski said:

I just managed to setup a dedicated server on my computer so i could play with a friend.

At first i did forward all the ports for ark servers and steam.  After that i could join(in LAN) but not my friend, so i thought it was my new ISP that wasn't allowing me to open these ports.  I verified with ports checking websites and none of them were open.  I live in Canada and switched to Bell, since then no port forward have been working, with my previous ISP i was able to open the same port and make an ark server that worked.

I didn't know what to do so I tried to use a higher port : 40000 and query port 40001    :     ?Port=40000?QueryPort=40001?listen    (server startup batch file for shootergameserver.exe )

Opened both of these ports for UDP and TCP, because i wasn't sure which one it was.  Now my friend can join, and i can see the server is opened on https://arkservers.net but on my side when i try to join from the website, steam says the server is not responding.

Now i'm not sure what to do so i'm asking for help.

Thanks !

Try separating the port numbers by 2.  ?Port=40000?QueryPort=40002?listen

and double check that the firewall is open for your client.

When you say " i try to join from the website" is that giving you the internet address of your server, or your local 192 address.  You should be using the internet address.

Have you looked in the list of unofficial servers for your server?

When you see the servers in the Steam server list, if you right click -> properties, which IP does it show you? Your internal or external?

I was having the same issue until I manually added my servers to the Steam server list using the internalIP:port

After that, they would appear in my favorites list in game and I was then able to connect. Transferring to a server in the cluster has been another story though.

Players outside the lan can transfer without issue, players on the lan cannot even see the clustered servers (no sessions found). I will never understand why WC made the server kit like this. I have run many game servers over the years and this one has by far caused the most issues.

Archived