Is the idea of Multiple Wind turbines just a bunch of hot air

20GT

It says in the wiki that multiple Wind turbines could get different results. 

How do you hook up to more than one? 

I destroyed one on accident and couldn't  replace it into the electrical system. 

Even though wiki mentions multiple turbines it seems like each one will have to have its own electrical systems. 

Has anyone had any luck getting 100% power using multiple turbines in an 80% wind area?

And what good is the wind indicator that they gave us? Is there a minimum wind percentage number that indicates 100%wind area as long as it's met? 

I had 3 side  by side in singleplayer just testing them. I had no structure collision though so that might be why but they weren't placed clipping eachother. I've placed and replaced them in that set up. 

Multiple turbines in a single power grid can function independently of each other. This can be seen in game by placing turbines facing different directions in the same area. there is no guarantee any turbine will be on or off at the same time, building multiple turbines will yield better results for more reliable uptime.

A wind turbine will only reach a distance equal to 29 cable lengths from the turbine itself. Anything beyond that will be dead power lines. A generator 30 lengths away, and a turbine on the opposite end will not work. The turbine must be within 29 cable lengths of the generator. Cables and Electrical Outletspast the 29th cable will show as unpowered and thus will never power anything connected via Electrical Outlets past that point when the Wind Turbine is active. (See the bug section for more information about this behavior)

Turbines will "snap" to existing power grids with cross, angled, or straight cables. The height of the end of the cable to the ground/foundation is more important than anything. Careful though, turbines may give false snap signals while around pillars, walls, gates, and the new giant hatch doors for the roof, never actually snapping to the power lines themselves.

Info posted from the wiki

On 3/2/2018 at 12:34 PM, Weiss said:

If you place one wind turbine in a 100% wind area it will run all the time, except during thunderstorms.

If you place two in a 80% wind area they will run 80% of an ingame day. They will both shut off at the same time and turn on again at the same time.

Wilderness provides 100% wind too.

25% power was on 
18% power was off 

so so far the lowest power i've seen was 25%

Guest DJRone89

I’m also curious about wind turbines. Over on the Island, wind is supposed to count as 100%. Great. However, I’ve noticed that that’s no longer the case because my turbine has shut down for a whole game day but then been on for a full game day too. My whole understanding of turbines in this game has been thrown out of the window.

7 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

I’m also curious about wind turbines. Over on the Island, wind is supposed to count as 100%. Great. However, I’ve noticed that that’s no longer the case because my turbine has shut down for a whole game day but then been on for a full game day too. My whole understanding of turbines in this game has been thrown out of the window.

They have never properly implemented wind on any map outside of scorched earth, and even on scorched earth outside of a 100% wind area they are useless. You can build right on the border of 2 different wind% areas with a turbine on each side, and if neither side is a 100% zone you'll still loose power daily. You can set a gas powered generator to auto failover so it will turn on when the wind turbine shuts off, but the gas generator will continue to run when wind returns.

A related issue with the tek generators is that you cant snap them to power cables, so if you need non-tek things powered that are outside the tek gennys radius you have to run multiple tek generators or keep a gas genny running all the time anyway.

The current best option is to have 2 gas gennys (one running one off) snapped to the same power grid and have them both set to auto failover. If one runs out of gas, the other kicks on. IF everything you need powered can fit in the radius of a tek genny, AND you can keep it full of element, then that is a better option.

Would sure be nice if they made all the power generation options work right on every map, and work together properly xD

2 hours ago, 20GT said:

There are other 100% wind areas. The Highlands have alot plus by the castle. 

Generators suck gas is a pain if you don't own a oil pump 

say whaaat? Oil is so easy to get on TI or Rags. Making the gas is the only pain due to getting hide and crafting it (unless you have an industrial forge). When I have the hide I crank up three rforges and make several hundred at a time. 

Oil spot on TI is in the southwest ocean almost directly south of the west peninsula spawn (forget which it is. The narrow peninsula one with the small bay to the west and the big bay to the east.). Head out with an argy and frog until you see a long oblong under the water, then drop the frog and jump in after it (don't park your argy too high up to whistle down after). Go straight down and you'll see about a dozen oil nodes on a sandy bottom next to the stone (which is an archway). I've only ever encountered a threat twice there, once a euryptid and once a megalodon, and the frog can eat the scorp and run away from the mega np. 

If you want a great TI harvest route, take the argy and frog up to the small pearl cave in the northwest ocean for pearls and some oil, then down to the chitin cave to eat the first meganeura swarm for lots of chitin and cementing paste, then down to the oil nodes in the sandy spot (or whatever order suits you). Good haul of pearls, oil, chitin, cementing paste all in under a half hour, and all you need is argy/frog/scuba gear/best pick. 

A good early oil spot on Rags is Viking Bay. Again with the argy and frog, park the argy on the stone perch with the wooden wreckage and take the frog down to the longboat. Eat all the euryptids and you'll have a couple of hundred oil, like 70 silica pearls, 70 black pearls, a hundred meat and well over a hundred chitin. Again the frog can run away from any adversaries and easily outmaneuver them to keep farming euryptids. *Just watch the frog's weight, black pearls and oil are heavy. If it gets overloaded it stops dead, and then it's very soon actually dead lol. Well worth it to put your gear on the argy first and get the frog's weight up near 300.

If there's no predators or you clear them / lure them away first, you can also collect the oil nodes in the bay for another hundred oil or so. 

Edit: thanks for the tip about the highlands winds. I have messed with wind generators but have a problem with risking my refrigerated goods on them when I can just run a gen.

• Volunteer Moderator
16 minutes ago, 20GT said:

Definitive proof the the wind indicator has no connection with powered turbines!

The % of wind reflects how long your turbines will produce electricity. For example, in a 50% wind region, your turbines will only works 12 hours a day. In a 1% region, they will works only ~15 minutes a day. The wind IS an indicator of how long your turbines will works. However, as previously mentioned, the turbines might not be fully implemented on other maps.

15 minutes ago, 20GT said:

16% wind powered turbine.

Your turbine should only works approximately 4 hours a day in a 16% wind region.

4 hours ago, 20GT said:

Definitive proof the the wind indicator has no connection with powered turbines!

This turbine works 100% of the time. 

3 hours ago, invincibleqc said:
4 hours ago, 20GT said:

The % of wind reflects how long your turbines will produce electricity.  the turbines might not be fully implemented on other maps.

4 hours ago, 20GT said:

16% wind powered turbine.

Your turbine should only works approximately 4 hours a day in a 16% wind region.

That's ridiculous. Because the wind indicator fluctuates. I've never seen it at 100% even on the 3 spots that I know are 100%.

Not implemented, broken, fake, worthless whatever you want call it. 

3 hours ago, OrisRas said:

highland doesnt always have 100% wind normally runs between 65%-80% i only know this because i have a base set up at the farm

True, I don't know about the old farm area you're probably correct. But the little rectangular area on the coast in the top right hand corner is 100%.

This entire map is mostly wrong, when it comes to the 100% area. 

1520309094454.jpg

Archived