Glider Suit Nerf

Doth

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DJRone89
3 hours ago, OrisRas said:

why should your armor take more damage if you add the glider skin? youre adding armor (cosmetically) not taking it away.

Because armour has durability and the skin doesn’t.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, DJRone89 said:

Because armour has durability and the skin doesn’t.

That's not what he asked. Just forget about the fact it is a skin.

The question he asked, if you read it again, is why would adding a wingsuit onto the back of your chestpiece increase damage taken to the armour? That's the question. Adding something strong like a wingsuit would add "more" protection. So he's asking why does it do the opposite.

36 minutes ago, GP said:

That's not what he asked. Just forget about the fact it is a skin.

The question he asked, if you read it again, is why would adding a wingsuit onto the back of your chestpiece increase damage taken to the armour? That's the question. Adding something strong like a wingsuit would add "more" protection. So he's asking why does it do the opposite.

adding more things on top of armor, especially something as delicate as "wings" may, in theory, compromise structural integrity of said armor and introduce more failure points with all the hinges, bolts'n'nuts, additional holes in armor to put stuff together etc.

• Volunteer Moderator
20 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

adding more things on top of armor, especially something as delicate as "wings" may, in theory, compromise structural integrity of said armor and introduce more failure points with all the hinges, bolts'n'nuts, additional holes in armor to put stuff together etc.

That's the kind of answer I believe he was looking for :Melee_Damage:, not because it's a skin that doesn't have durability. :cappa:

17 hours ago, OrisRas said:

why should your armor take more damage if you add the glider skin? youre adding armor (cosmetically) not taking it away.

If you're looking for an explanation of the mechanics/balance reasoning in the post you quoted, it's in the paragraph directly above the quote you pulled.

If it's about needing a real-world explanation that preserves the immersion for all Ark players, I don't really know. I kind of assumed that if people can look past the fact that gravity doesn't apply to glider suits, getting past the notion that they might cause a shirt to take more damage would be small potatoes. I could make a few things up off the top of my head I guess...maybe it's easier for dinos to grab on to and beat/chew on the wingsuit and that tugs on the shirt? It makes the shirt wear out faster because it stresses the seams? The additional insulation causes the bearer to sweat at a greater rate, thereby increasing the chances for rust, mildew, or mold? The shirt wears out faster because of the constant tugs and movement of an item connected to the shirt? The holes/cuts/modifications made to accept the wings makes the shirts less durable? 

Like I said...I don't really know...I've just never been under the impression that all in-game mechanics in video games needed to be reconciled with real-world logic.

Is anybody going to point out that the glider suit nerf made stealing Rock drake eggs on foot a lot harder?  Those suckers are going to knock you to the ground fast.  You know how risky it is to take a creature in there to tank and spank those things?  Not to mention the glitches the game is riddled with.  So with the wingsuit being so unreliable now you are forced to take a tame in, which most likely won't make it out.  I took three imprinted spinos down near the entrance to the drake nest and we got shredded by non stop drakes after 20 minutes of pounding, I didn't even take an egg, they just non-stop aggroed and kept coming.  If anything the wingsuit needed a buff so that if would have been easier to make it out of the hell that is known as the rock drake nest, if you don't make it out in one glide you are basically dead in that cooldown period.  Check this video Syntac just uploaded, see how risky it is to take a ground mount into the drakes nest as opposed to just trying to glide out.  He gets swarmed by so many drakes they literally knock him through the floor of the map and into element.

Glitches at 16:00 mark and 5:00 mark

Guest DJRone89

@RipRavage Were you here when the flyer nerf kicked in and made stealing Wyvern eggs harder?

This is just something we will all have to overcome as a community, making these very forums a great place to discuss new methods.

1 hour ago, DJRone89 said:

@RipRavage Were you here when the flyer nerf kicked in and made stealing Wyvern eggs harder?

This is just something we will all have to overcome as a community, making these very forums a great place to discuss new methods.

Yes, and lets be honest, stealing Wyvern eggs has never been as hard as stealing Rock Drake eggs.  You never had to worry about Radiation, figuring a way out of a giant hole, and no access to flyers.  After the nerf stealing wyvern eggs was still easy, you just had to build a storage house right outside the trench to drop the egg in or to trade off your flyer with a runner.  Stealing Drake eggs is literally all luck of the draw right now except for survivors that have a whole tribes worth of people to go and wipe everything in the nest.  The risk of loss involved with gathering a wyvern egg has always been one thing, possible loss of  flyer and a few minutes of time, the cost of trying to get a Rock drake egg is several radiation suits, high level weapons, lots of time to climb down, and most likely the lives of any tames you bring with you.  I don't think Rock Drakes should be tenfold harder than wyverns to get, especially since Wyverns are much more useful.  Even before the nerf I had Rock drakes smack me out of the sky and one shot me as I was trying to glide out, now its just straight up tank and spank if you even want a chance.  Im also going to point out that you literally need the ability to get rock drake eggs since the sadistic Devs decided to put rock drake kibble on the imprinting list, thats just cruel. 

3 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

I was here when the flyer nerf made the game objectively, inarguably worse for some players. :) (Hey you brought it up lol.)

8 hours ago, RipRavage said:

Is anybody going to point out that the glider suit nerf made stealing Rock drake eggs on foot a lot harder?  Those suckers are going to knock you to the ground fast.  You know how risky it is to take a creature in there to tank and spank those things?  Not to mention the glitches the game is riddled with.  So with the wingsuit being so unreliable now you are forced to take a tame in, which most likely won't make it out.  I took three imprinted spinos down near the entrance to the drake nest and we got shredded by non stop drakes after 20 minutes of pounding, I didn't even take an egg, they just non-stop aggroed and kept coming.  If anything the wingsuit needed a buff so that if would have been easier to make it out of the hell that is known as the rock drake nest, if you don't make it out in one glide you are basically dead in that cooldown period.  Check this video Syntac just uploaded, see how risky it is to take a ground mount into the drakes nest as opposed to just trying to glide out.  He gets swarmed by so many drakes they literally knock him through the floor of the map and into element.

Glitches at 16:00 mark and 5:00 mark

My path of progression is this:  high level spin tames for male and female and tames for imprint kibble - > breed spinos for a very high perfect imprint baby or 2 (preferably a male and female for mate boost) - > decent or better saddle BP - > high level reaper queen for impregnation (a good bred spin pair can easily handle impregnation) - >  perfect imprint on reaper baby (fairly generous on imprint windows here) - > reaper for drake eggs.  A perfect imprinted decent level reaper will easily handle all of the drakes simultaneously on official. Even on my private server with a difficulty of 25, I was able to secure 8 eggs before I needed to turn back for healing.  On the super high difficulty, reapers are a bit less effective due to the much higher damage output of wild drakes when they start spawning up to level 950.  (reaper damage reduction doesn't scale, but wild Dino damage output does)  I personally would want to get eggs on foot, because one unlucky moment and you're done with nothing to show for it.  On a reaper, though, you are easily able to clear every nest multiple times. I personally took on 8 drakes at the same time ranging between 150 and 190 and ended the fight with 60 HP lost. 

1 minute ago, banggugyangu said:

My path of progression is this:  high level spin tames for male and female and tames for imprint kibble - > breed spinos for a very high perfect imprint baby or 2 (preferably a male and female for mate boost) - > decent or better saddle BP - > high level reaper queen for impregnation (a good bred spin pair can easily handle impregnation) - >  perfect imprint on reaper baby (fairly generous on imprint windows here) - > reaper for drake eggs.  A perfect imprinted decent level reaper will easily handle all of the drakes simultaneously on official. Even on my private server with a difficulty of 25, I was able to secure 8 eggs before I needed to turn back for healing.  On the super high difficulty, reapers are a bit less effective due to the much higher damage output of wild drakes when they start spawning up to level 950.  (reaper damage reduction doesn't scale, but wild Dino damage output does)  I personally would want to get eggs on foot, because one unlucky moment and you're done with nothing to show for it.  On a reaper, though, you are easily able to clear every nest multiple times. I personally took on 8 drakes at the same time ranging between 150 and 190 and ended the fight with 60 HP lost. 

Every spino I've tamed has been squishy, and short of trapping a reaper queen, this seems a bit overkill just to get a creature which is objectively not as good as the creatures required to tame it.  If I had the ability to get a reaper king I probably wouldn't be so worried about getting a rock drake.  I've tamed over 20 spinos on aberration and I've never got a single one that came out to over 5000 HP, all of whom were over level 130.  I know all the tricks for seeing there health, they just don't spawn for me.  I'm just saying Reapers should be end game, not drakes.  I've taken imprinted spinos down with 50 armor saddles, and they got shredded by drakes.  The closest I've gotten was with a glide suit trying to fly out, I got smashed trying to climb the spine.

Guest DJRone89
17 minutes ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

I was here when the flyer nerf made the game objectively, inarguably worse for some players. :) (Hey you brought it up lol.)

I’m glad you used the term objectively lol. I welcomed it.

While some nerfs are fair, I do wonder if all scenarios have been considered before they are implemented but that’s why people need voice their concerns.

38 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Every spino I've tamed has been squishy, and short of trapping a reaper queen, this seems a bit overkill just to get a creature which is objectively not as good as the creatures required to tame it.  If I had the ability to get a reaper king I probably wouldn't be so worried about getting a rock drake.  I've tamed over 20 spinos on aberration and I've never got a single one that came out to over 5000 HP, all of whom were over level 130.  I know all the tricks for seeing there health, they just don't spawn for me.  I'm just saying Reapers should be end game, not drakes.  I've taken imprinted spinos down with 50 armor saddles, and they got shredded by drakes.  The closest I've gotten was with a glide suit trying to fly out, I got smashed trying to climb the spine.

Spinos have low health, but that's the reason for a decent level saddle, perfect imprints, and mate boost. A decent health spin with a decent melee spin bred to 2 babies will finish imprints pretty close to 9k health and 350%+ melee.  Add in a saddle that has 40+ armor, mate boost, and bro-fist, and they're quite capable of taking on basically anything in the map. I personally see drakes and reapers as a similar point in the game. They're both the end game Dinos for aberration.  One can help you get the other much easier.  It's possible to get either while having neither, though. The same spinos capable of handling queen's can easily handle drakes.  If I'm going to go down to the trench on anything other than reapers or drakes, though, it's going to be a megalo.  For a megalo, though, I opt for breeding first simply for the speed boost. An extra 20% movement speed makes a big difference in getting past the purlovia which are the only real threat in that situation. 

*edit* I guess an important detail is that I'm not particularly fond of spinos, myself.  I havent ever been a fan of them, honestly, but that doesn't change the fact that they're capable of getting you an early reaper, which can get you basically anything else. 

1 minute ago, banggugyangu said:

Spinos have low health, but that's the reason for a decent level saddle, perfect imprints, and mate boost. A decent health spin with a decent melee spin bred to 2 babies will finish imprints pretty close to 9k health and 350%+ melee.  Add in a saddle that has 40+ armor, mate boost, and bro-fist, and they're quite capable of taking on basically anything in the map. I personally see drakes and reapers as a similar point in the game. They're both the end game Dinos for aberration.  One can help you get the other much easier.  It's possible to get either while having neither, though. The same spinos capable of handling queen's can easily handle drakes.  If I'm going to go down to the trench on anything other than reapers or drakes, though, it's going to be a megalo.  For a megalo, though, I opt for breeding first simply for the speed boost. An extra 20% movement speed makes a big difference in getting past the purlovia which are the only real threat in that situation. 

I've got the damage on the spinos, I just don't have the health.  I just don't think tamed Rock Drakes justify the huge effort to get them, they take a tame penalty to both Health and Melee making them objectively worse than a rex other than the fact that they can climb.  I Don't understand why wild drakes should have 1950 base health, but tamed ones should get 900 after all the effort you throw into getting them.  I've also been having a much harder time finding any megalosaurus over level 90 than I did finding spinos.  It is taking me much longer to grind towards these thing than it did to get my first wyvern.

Here are the base stats for the Rock Drake, that health penalty just looks terrible.

Basic Stats
Attribute Amount at Level 1 Increase per point Taming Bonus
Wild Domesticated1 Add Mult
Health.png Health 1950 +165.75 +4.05% -1050  
Stamina.png Stamina 450 +22.5 +5%    
Oxygen.png Oxygen 150 +15 +10%    
Food.png Food 2000 +200 +10%    
Weight.png Weight 400 +8 +4%    
Melee Damage.png Melee Damage 602 +3 +1.7% -25% 17.6%
Movement Speed.png Movement Speed 100% N/A3 +0%    
Torpidity.png Torpidity 725 +43.5 N/A4 0.5  

1 minute ago, RipRavage said:

I've got the damage on the spinos, I just don't have the health.  I just don't think tamed Rock Drakes justify the huge effort to get them, they take a tame penalty to both Health and Melee making them objectively worse than a rex other than the fact that they can climb.  I Don't understand why wild drakes should have 1950 base health, but tamed ones should get 900 after all the effort you throw into getting them.  I've also been having a much harder time finding any megalosaurus over level 90 than I did finding spinos.  It is taking me much longer to grind towards these thing than it did to get my first wyvern.

Here are the base stats for the Rock Drake, that health penalty just looks terrible.

Basic Stats

Trust me... I have this discussion daily with people wanting to buy pre-raised drakes... I agree with you... The stats on a drake are doodoo....  Without bro fist buff, I wouldnt want to even use them other than transport. With that said, though, they are the fastest form of player transport in the game. They're dramatically faster than wyverns regardless of the map you're on. If you get a good roll on one, it's also quite capable of taking on just about anything you'll come across (obviously gigas are a no-go as well as titans.) 

1 hour ago, RipRavage said:

1 hour ago, banggugyangu said:

Screw the spinos just get a few crabs a matebosted pair of fighter crabs will get you that reaper or Drake eggs + jumping is OP. crabs do seam to get glitched under the mesh a lot though 

1 hour ago, TBoa said:

Screw the spinos just get a few crabs a matebosted pair of fighter crabs will get you that reaper or Drake eggs + jumping is OP. crabs do seam to get glitched under the mesh a lot though 

Spinos and reapers have gotten meshed, as far as I'm aware.  Crabs CAN do queen's, but slower than  spinos by quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

I’m glad you used the term objectively lol. I welcomed it.

While some nerfs are fair, I do wonder if all scenarios have been considered before they are implemented but that’s why people need voice their concerns.

IMO far too much of what they decide seems like it was rushed out before thinking about how it affects everyone.

20 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

Spinos and reapers have gotten meshed, as far as I'm aware.  Crabs CAN do queen's, but slower than  spinos by quite a bit. 

I’ve never meshed a spino, reapers crabs and drakes my tribes had loads glitch under, when we used crabs we despawned a lot of low levels so it didn’t take to long, our first abb was to hostile so we uploaded our 4 crabs and a few spinos ank doed and Rat and swapped server. We  had 10 crabs by the end of the first day and a batch of reapers by the end of the week, let’s just say everyone on that server was terrified of us lol the next biggest tribe on server still asks us if it’s okay if they use the charge station in there own base lol

3 hours ago, TBoa said:

I have taken karkinos into the drake nest, and I almost immidiatly got pinned and started floating, it is not nearly as easy as you make it out to be.  If I had three people running with karkinos maybe it would be a different story, but karkinos are just broken once anything gets underneath of you.  I still have a karkinos hanging off the wall in the trench somewhere from  when I tried to jump off to spare his life as he got too low on health, drakes made an immediate Bee line for me as I tried to glide away.

10 hours ago, RipRavage said:

I have taken karkinos into the drake nest, and I almost immidiatly got pinned and started floating, it is not nearly as easy as you make it out to be.  If I had three people running with karkinos maybe it would be a different story, but karkinos are just broken once anything gets underneath of you.  I still have a karkinos hanging off the wall in the trench somewhere from  when I tried to jump off to spare his life as he got too low on health, drakes made an immediate Bee line for me as I tried to glide away.

Oh by no means am I saying there the best trench runner I usually just take a dmg Drake with a good saddle, just that crabs are a really good gateway to getting your first egg or pregnancy and I wouldn’t solo either area with a crab I’d take a  mate boosted pair minimum into either area with a tribemate

On 3/16/2018 at 10:52 AM, RipRavage said:

Basic Stats

problem is, those stats are not accurate, you lose speed when you tame them too. all wild dinos at 100% are faster than tamed ones at 100%

on a side note. this is NOT a flier, so why are they speed-locked? and if they want to cap the gliding speed, why can't the ground speed and "flight" speed be separated so we can increase the ground movement?

Archived