Should i give up on Ark?

dragonextinction

Ark looked like a cool game to try so i got it on my ps4. I am believing now it may have been a waist of money. Unless I can find away around the fact that if your new to the game and on a public server, and I am on a PVE server, many of the existing players don't want you there and will keep killing you, taking over any shelter you have built and just making it so hard too move forward you end up quitting. I don't have the set up right now to set up my own server, and not sure if I want to just for one game. I just wonder if there are any private servers that are cool with new players and will welcome them to join. 

Don’t give up man, I’ve been on PVE for almost a year now on PS4 after having quit PvP because it wasn’t for me solo. I’ve started off solo on PVE twice now between legacy and new servers and both times the server has been 3k+ days old. One thing I noticed is to just lay low. Only time I see people telling others to go away is when they start to beg for dinos or mats in global chat. Starting off will suck at first cause everyting is going to probably be pillared off on the beaches most likely or just a bunch of bases, don’t complain though move inland a bit and I guarantee you’ll find some land. Try to pick an Island server because from my expeierences those don’t seem to have tame cap issues so you can get your starter dinos and after that you can switch if you want. Also I recommend spawning West instead of South because it tends to be less crowded.

8 minutes ago, dragonextinction said:

Ark looked like a cool game to try so i got it on my ps4. I am believing now it may have been a waist of money. Unless I can find away around the fact that if your new to the game and on a public server, and I am on a PVE server, many of the existing players don't want you there and will keep killing you, taking over any shelter you have built and just making it so hard too move forward you end up quitting. I don't have the set up right now to set up my own server, and not sure if I want to just for one game. I just wonder if there are any private servers that are cool with new players and will welcome them to join. 

Are you sure you are on a PVE server? Other players have to go through extrordinary lengths to grief you if so. From what you're describing, it sounds like you may have been joining PVP servers. Doube check and give it another shot.

If you do want the PVP experience official servers are a bad place to look. I recommend researching a good unofficial server to play on. There are thousands so finding the right one may take a little more time but the ones that are well ran usually have a great community. Youtubers often showcase their servers, so take a look around on YouTube as well.

All in all the game is great fun. It just may take a few tries to get comfortable :)

I will need to look, but I am pretty sure it's a pve server. Thing is the one "survivor" i have left has never been killed by another player while online. It always happens off line and always a dinosaur. And always above level 900. I know there are no dinos in the current area she was in that are that high of a level. I am pretty sure they are someone''s mount or pet. Does that sound plausible?

17 minutes ago, PM88 said:

Don’t give up man, I’ve been on PVE for almost a year now on PS4 after having quit PvP because it wasn’t for me solo. I’ve started off solo on PVE twice now between legacy and new servers and both times the server has been 3k+ days old. One thing I noticed is to just lay low. Only time I see people telling others to go away is when they start to beg for dinos or mats in global chat. Starting off will suck at first cause everyting is going to probably be pillared off on the beaches most likely or just a bunch of bases, don’t complain though move inland a bit and I guarantee you’ll find some land. Try to pick an Island server because from my expeierences those don’t seem to have tame cap issues so you can get your starter dinos and after that you can switch if you want. Also I recommend spawning West instead of South because it tends to be less crowded.

I did try that and at level 5 there was  no where to place a shelter and  once again she was killed over and over by extremely high level dinos while off line.

One thing I want to know is, concerning my one survivor who is now level 20 she did have a nice little shelter. I did lay low while trying to explore a little. I was not able to log in for a few days and when I did log back in someone had taken over my shelter. They had dragged her up to the upper floor and left her there. They left the wooden structure I had crafted and added stone walls and stuff around the outside. I had pin locked that shelter and all of the inventory crates so how were they able to take over my shelter?

• Volunteer Moderator
35 minutes ago, dragonextinction said:

Try looking for an unofficial cluster. You might enjoy that more. Also if you want to try single player if that seems more your play style.

if indeed pve server OP, its not another tribe or their pet, they cannot kill you, but they can say lure a dino into your area to grief you if you built anything less than stone. and in an easy to get to site.  The other thing is yes you have to research the server you are on, does it seem friendly etc and are ppl wanting to help and the chat is not toxic etc.  There are servers but you might have to jump around a bit.

There are unofficials as well and that sort of thing may be for you as well.  Official PvE servers are riddled with pillar spam and dino caps depending on what map you are at.  

On 2/27/2018 at 4:51 PM, dragonextinction said:

One thing I want to know is, concerning my one survivor who is now level 20 she did have a nice little shelter. I did lay low while trying to explore a little. I was not able to log in for a few days and when I did log back in someone had taken over my shelter. They had dragged her up to the upper floor and left her there. They left the wooden structure I had crafted and added stone walls and stuff around the outside. I had pin locked that shelter and all of the inventory crates so how were they able to take over my shelter?

Are you positive it didn’t just auto decay and they built where you had?

On February 27, 2018 at 4:51 PM, dragonextinction said:

If ur on a dedicated server the admin cud steal ur tames or structures wit cheat codes.  On pve u cnt flat out kill another player unless u lure a wild 1 to atk them.  The fact ur saying a lvl 900 killed u means sum1 is cheat summoning it to kill u.  Lvl 900 is impossible 2 achieve even wit perfect bred dinos unless lik lvl 400s r spawning in the wilds.  Id say the admins r attacking u.  Even if u build stone an admin that dislikes u can steal or destroy ur stuff using cheats.  I play single player and quite enjoy it.  If ur wanting a pve experience thn u might as well play single player since other ppl on pve hav basically no purpose 4 u.  Other ppl on pve just ruin spawn locations, take all the resources, and block ur building.  Their existence just hinders ur already solo play.

If you stick with it, it can be very rewarding. Getting started is probably the roughest part. Just ignore the people that are rude to you because you're new. Find yourself a nice plot of land for a small shack. You'll have better luck further away from the starting (easy) areas. You'll die a lot, but once you get a stone shack with a bed down, things will get easier for you. Get yourself some tames to help you out and grow from there.

It's ultimately up to you. The game is really amazing. It has it's downsides, challenges, and problems, but overall, I think it's still worth playing. There are so many things you can do in the game.. some people enjoy building, others enjoy taming/breeding, and others enjoy running caves and doing bosses. If you give it a fair shot and you still don't enjoy playing then maybe it would be better to find another game. Do whatever is the most fun for you. 

Ark has an extremely steep learning curve for new players. One thing you might want to do is play on Single Player for a little while just to learn the core gameplay mechanics such as basic survival, taming, etc. It's also a good idea if you're not a very active player, as online servers do have a feature called auto decay, which is probably what happened to your shelter. If "a few days" was really a week or so, your wooden base auto decayed and someone else was able to build in the empty land where your base used to be.

One thing that will help you determine how you're dying when offline--even as a solo player you should have a tribe. This enables you to view your own Tribe Log and see what events the game records. If you're on a PVE server you cannot be directly killed by other characters, but you can still die. The tribe log would be able to tell you exactly what happened, and it does say when structures auto decay.

Try to stick to one server instead of hopping to a new one every time you die. Part of being an Ark newbie is dying a lot, it's how you learn what not to do.

A few basic Ark safety rules to get you started:

Don't sprint everywhere. This drains your food and water much faster, and you don't want to run out of stamina and run into one of Ark's many unfriendly residents.

Related: always carry a few bolas. They will save you against many of Ark's faster predators that are truly dangerous to new players, such as raptors, and also help you tame/kill animals that would otherwise flee such as a parasaur.

Always build a security perimeter around your base. This keeps wild animals from wandering in, especially once you start taming. Speaking of wandering, don't put any animals on wander in your pens unless you're breeding them, as they will eventually glitch through the fences.

First thing you should make when building a new base is a bed for when you die so you can respawn at your base. Because you will die; everyone does, it's a part of the game. Second thing you should build: a logoff box so if you die while offline you don't lose all your gear.

Personally I always tame a female dodo as my first animal on any new server. They make good early game "refrigerators" and their eggs will be useful later on when you start making kibble. A pack of dilos is surprisingly strong if you tame 3-5 or so of them at decent levels, so if you're actually being killed by wild animals (a level 900 wild or even tamed animal is not even possible on an official server or many unofficials, are you sure you didn't misread it and it was a level 90?) they can provide some early game protection, in addition to having some proper base defense like a fence to keep animals away from you.

Don't worry too much about rushing through the early levels. Take your time and enjoy it, the early game experience as a brand new player is something you can't ever replicate. Sure it can be frustrating and often terrifying, but it's often exciting and you get to discover everything for the first time. Once you start hitting around stone tier the game stops being so much about survival.

On 2/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, dragonextinction said:

It always happens off line and always a dinosaur. And always above level 900.

The max dino level on an official server is 449. That is a highly bred and full maxed out dino. If it reaches 450 the game erases it. A bred dino can't kill you on PvE, only a wild dino can and wild dino's on official PvE are maxed at level 150. 

On 2/27/2018 at 4:51 PM, dragonextinction said:

I was not able to log in for a few days and when I did log back in someone had taken over my shelter. They had dragged her up to the upper floor and left her there. They left the wooden structure I had crafted and added stone walls and stuff around the outside.

Wood structures auto decay in 7 days I believe, right around that time frame. If someone was able to build stone around you that again is not an official server. On official server's unless you are allied with someone they can not build within a certain distance to your structures (hence the mass pillars on PvE servers) unless you are talking about they built stone structures as close as they could to you and completely surrounded your building with them akin to a wall. 

I do not believe you are on an official server and seem more likely to be on a boosted private server. Double check your selection. 

I would take the time to research out an unofficial server as most official server's are hard to build on at this point. 

A key start point. Build something with a roof and out of wood at a minimum. I was too late to help, but found a small wooden shack this week with an Argy attacking. By the time I got up to the shack the Argy was done and there was just a death bag. A rifle, tranq darts, a Theri, crossbow, some tranq arrows, and a canteen.  Guy wouldn't have lost his stuff if he simply had a roof on his structure. On official, structures and dino's are ORP but yourself is not. I stopped by a couple more times but that guy was never on when I did so I haven't been able to give him his stuff back. 

Ark is a very fun game but you have to pick the right mode and settings that fit your lifestyle and not let Ark control your lifestyle. That's the best way to enjoy Ark. you may have to jump around and start a few times (unless you're unusually stubborn like me) to find exactly what you are looking for but once you find it, there's not many games that beat it despite its performance issues (on officials anyway). 

On 3/1/2018 at 4:07 AM, Cullis said:

Jesus you don't play PVP solo unless you're autistic and masterclass at hiding. Join up with some guys, if they're good stay with them if they suck learn whatever you can and move on.

Haha yeah, it was originally me, my gf and her bro but then hey bae both stopped so it was pretty much me trying to maintain a decent sized base and keeping turrets filled. It got boring quick :/

Archived