Community Crunch 120 & Arkpocalypse Servers!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hey Survivors! Welcome to the latest edition of the Community Crunch, now on Mondays! :Jerbhi:

The Community Crunch is where we share important things going on with ARK, as well as host contests and showcase creations made by the community!

Extinction Arkpocalypse Servers!

large.extinction.jpg.e1b5abed44ff7a47361

Tomorrow, Tuesday at 1:30PM ET our previously named Extinction servers will be rebranded as ARKPOCALYPSE servers for all platforms. They will also now have increased rates! Join a fast-paced server that wipes every month! The increased values are listed below as well as the key ones are listed on the image above.

Taming Speed will be increased to 3x
Harvesting Multiplier will be increased to 3x
XP Multiplier will be increased to 3x
Mating Interval will be reduced by 66%
Baby Mature Speed will be increased to 3x
Egg Hatch Speed will be increased to 3x
Baby Cuddle Interval will be reduced by 2x
Crop Growth Speed will be increased to 3x
Hair Growth Speed will be increased to 2x

You'll be able to play on your favourite map and you'll be able to transfer between other Arkpocalypse servers on a closed cluster, separate from the main PVP cluster. Note: Arkpocalypse servers are not affected by Evolution Events.

The Great Migration #2!

large.594ef828430a1_F1r3fly-MigratingtoR

In case you missed, we will be off-lining some additional Legacy servers on March 9th. If you are a player on the Official Legacy Server Network please read the full post at the link below for more information as well as a list of which Legacy servers are being taken down permanently.

Community Contests!

NVidia Ansel Photography Contest

large.Ansel.jpg.683f020687f3fe873c17912d

Super Resolution Version: http://images.nvidia.com/ansel/SuperResolution/ARK-SuperResolution1/ARK__Survival_Evolved_HighRes_2016_09_01_-_14_38_36_55.html

ARK: Survival Evolved and the Scorched Earth Expansion Pack now include support for NVIDIA Ansel -- a revolutionary new way to capture in-game shots.  Compose shots from any position, adjust with post-process filters, capture HDR images in high-fidelity formats, and share the screenshots in 360 via a smartphone, PC or VR headset. 

Learn more about these features from the NVIDIA blog.

Now let’s get to the contest!

There were 3 potential categories for survivors to enter their shots into and they were the following:

Four Categories

*NEW* Freestyle: These can be images or videos taken using NVIDIA's new Freestyle filters! If videos are submitted, they must have a maximum duration of one minute. 

Super Resolution: These should be taken at 8x Super Resolution. Players can optionally use Depth of Field effects accessible in Spectator mode by pressing the [Delete] key.

Panoramic 360 Stereoscopic 3D: These should be taken at 4x Super Resolution, in 360 Stereoscopic 3D mode. We will crop them to 2D for web display, while also providing the 3D version for viewing within VR display.

Freeform: Any settings, whacky and creative use of Ansel filters are encouraged. Adding humorous titles/captions in Photoshop is also acceptable for this category!

And now without further ado, here are your entries!

Freestyle!

Winner!

StateofMynd42 - English Wolf

large.5a94ba6c28e04_StateofMynd42-EnglishWolf-Freestyle.jpg

Runners-up!

pitsmat - Enhanced Obelisk

large.5a94ba62077cc_pitsmat-EnhancedObelisk-Freestyle.jpg

GP - Glorious Skies

large.5a94ba4bebc19_GP-GloriousSkies-Freestyle.jpg

Honourable Mentions!

BlueDragon - Lurking Death

large.5a94ba3a1feb3_BlueDragon-LurkingDeath-Freestyle.jpg

BlueDragon - Shiny Piranha

large.5a94ba3cd56b5_BlueDragon-ShinyPiranha-Freestyle.jpg

BlueDragon - Surface

large.5a94ba3f40d09_BlueDragon-Surface-Freestyle.jpg

GP - Enter If You Dare

large.GP_-_Enter_If_You_Dare_-_Freestyle.jpg

GP - Gaseous Hazards

large.5a94baf8046a9_GP-GaseousHazards-Freestyle.jpg

Norlinri - Apes

large.5a94bafe4b788_Norlinri-Apes-Freestyle.jpg

Norlinri - Can you see it

large.5a94ba5143ffc_Norlinri-Canyouseeit-Freestyle.jpg

Norlinri - Golden beauty

large.5a94ba5315592_Norlinri-Goldenbeauty-Freestyle.jpg

Norlinri - Pack hunt

large.5a94ba5546d29_Norlinri-Packhunt-Freestyle.jpg

Norlinri - Siamese

large.5a94ba59243df_Norlinri-Siamese-Freestyle.jpg

Norlinri - The ghost

large.5a94bb0e4b6f1_Norlinri-Theghost-Freestyle.jpg

pitsmat - Albino Beauty Enhanced

large.5a94bb0d34560_pitsmat-AlbinoBeautyEnhanced-Freestyle.jpg

pitsmat - Butterfly Demon

large.5a94ba601a416_pitsmat-ButterflyDemon-Freestyle.jpg

pitsmat - Shine Down

large.5a94bb14a73d2_pitsmat-ShineDown-Freestyle.jpg

pitsmat - Tiny Purgatory

large.5a94ba67b04d3_pitsmat-TinyPurgatory-Freestyle.jpg

roguewolf91 - Apparition in the Moonlight

large.5a94ba6a8e638_roguewolf91-ApparitionintheMoonlight-Freestyle.jpg

StateofMynd42 - Snow Chase

large.5a94ba6e2f411_StateofMynd42-SnowChase-Freestyle.jpg

StateofMynd42- Three Billy Goats Gruff

large.5a94ba7053647_StateofMynd42-ThreeBillyGoatsGruff-Freestyle.png

Wolf Amaterasu - Scenic Stare

large.5a94ba72bdac4_WolfAmaterasu-ScenicStare-Freestyle.jpg

Super Resolution!

Winner!

Ego - Danger lies in wait

large.5a94bbd062f88_Ego-Dangerliesinwait-SuperResolution.jpg

Runners-up!

Morgengrau - King of the Highlands

large.5a94bb340ce28_Morgengrau-KingoftheHighlands-SuperResolution.jpg

GP - RUN Galli RUN

large.5a94bb325ef4e_GP-RUNGalliRUN-SuperResolution.jpg

Honourable Mentions!

BlueDragon - Flightless dragon

large.5a94bb1490f14_BlueDragon-Flightlessdragon-SuperRes.jpg

BlueDragon - Grandpa & Grandma

large.5a94bb15d57c5_BlueDragon-GrandpaGrandma-SuperRes.jpg

BlueDragon - Into the sunset

large.5a94bb1777df0_BlueDragon-Intothesunset-SuperRes.jpg

BlueDragon - The Moon

large.5a94bb186ab4f_BlueDragon-TheMoon-SuperRes.jpg

Domino - Project Gateway

large.5a94bbce19205_Domino-ProjectGateway-SuperResolution.jpg

Ego - Exile of Darkness

large.5a94bbcdef526_Ego-ExileofDarkness-SuperResolution.jpg

Ego - ''Payne, I can't feel my legs.'' ''They aint there''

large.5a94bb216194d_Ego-PayneIcantfeelmylegs.Theyaintthere-SuperResolution.jpg

Ego - Today is a sunny day!

large.5a94bbd274c3d_Ego-Todayisasunnyday!-SuperResolution.jpg

EXFIB0 - Next Destination

large.5a94bb2673049_EXFIB0-NextDestination-SuperResolution.jpg

EXFIB0 - Off you go!

large.5a94bb28a40ef_EXFIB0-Offyougo!-SuperResolution.jpg

EXFIB0 - The Battle

large.5a94bb2d23fc5_EXFIB0-TheBattle-SuperResolution.jpg

GP - Baby Protector

large.5a94bb2fc0038_GP-BabyProtector-SuperResolution.jpg

Norlinri - Aberration

large.5a94bb35eeca2_Norlinri-Aberration-SuperResolution.jpg

Norlinri - Cesar

large.5a94bb384890a_Norlinri-Cesar-SuperResolution.jpg

Norlinri - Don't trigger the bear

large.5a94bb3a6cdc0_Norlinri-Donttriggerthebear-SuperResolution.jpg

Norlinri - Featherlight

large.5a94bbeba3f61_Norlinri-Featherlight-SuperResolution.jpg

Norlinri - Obelisk

large.5a94bbed0b00f_Norlinri-Obelisk-SuperResolution.jpg

pitsmat - Curve

large.5a94bb41accd7_pitsmat-Curve-SuperResolution.jpg

pitsmat - Distance

large.5a94bbf27aa91_pitsmat-Distance-SuperResolution.jpg

roguewolf91 - It's Behind Me, Isn't It

large.5a94bbfa3672a_roguewolf91-ItsBehindMeIsntIt-SuperResolution.jpg

StateofMynd42 - Nature Documentary

large.5a94bb48828f7_StateofMynd42-NatureDocumentary-SuperResolution.jpg

StateofMynd42 - We Looked Like Giants

large.5a94bb4a960d8_StateofMynd42-WeLookedLikeGiants-SuperResolution.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - ARK Origins Senu

large.5a94bb4c7ffe6_WolfAmaterasu-ARKOriginsSenu-8x.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Raptor Wildlands

large.5a94bb4f53037_WolfAmaterasu-RaptorWildlands-8x.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - The Great Outdoors

large.5a94bb518fcc3_WolfAmaterasu-TheGreatOutdoors-8x.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - The Watcher

large.5a94bc0323c78_WolfAmaterasu-TheWatcher-8x.jpg

Panoramic 360 Stereoscopic 3D!

Winner!

BlueDragon - Ragnarok Rapids

large.5a94ba170882b_BlueDragon-RagnarokRapids-360.jpg

Runners-up!

Wolf Amaterasu - Bridging the Gap

large.5a94ba21da8a1_WolfAmaterasu-BridgingtheGap-360.jpg

Honourable Mentions!

EXFIB0 - Swamp

large.5a94ba1858d12_EXFIB0-Swamp-360Stereo.jpg

EXFIB0 - The Island

large.5a94ba199ffa3_EXFIB0-TheIsland-360Stereo.jpg

EXFIB0 - Throw

large.5a94ba1b12b1e_EXFIB0-Throw-360Stereo.jpg

roguewolf91 - Relic

large.5a94bacf9a1e0_roguewolf91-Relic-Panoramic360Stereoscopic3D.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Below the Arch

large.5a94ba1e78c31_WolfAmaterasu-BelowtheArch-360.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Between Ponds

large.5a94ba203fb31_WolfAmaterasu-BetweenPonds-360.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Downstream

large.5a94ba2450630_WolfAmaterasu-Downstream-360.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Tallest Peak

large.5a94bad4c8f48_WolfAmaterasu-TallestPeak-360.jpg

Freeform!

Winner!

Starwolf23 - Ravager Mint

large.starwolf23-Ravager_Mint-Freeform.jpg

Runner-up!

BlueDragon - ARK with Googly eyes

large.5a94ba281e8f3_BlueDragon-ARKwithGooglyeyes-Freeform.jpg

Honourable Mentions!

Ego - A horror movie poster

large.5a94ba2ab6e4d_Ego-Ahorrormovieposter-Freeform.jpg

F1r3fly - Rockwell - Arrival

large.5a94ba2e3b388_F1r3fly-Rockwell-Arrival-Freeform.png

Norlinri - Rexvolution

large.5a94ba30d3efe_Norlinri-Rexvolution-Freeform.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Who's that Creature (Pokemon Parody)

large.5a94bae721b02_WolfAmaterasu-WhosthatCreature(PokemonParody)-Freeform.jpg

ARKVideo!

This contest is open to all types of video be they funny, epic, scenic, stories, whatever inspires you. Just a general reminder that they should remain safe for work, think of the children!

And without further ado, the ARKVideo for Community Crunch 120 is...

ADDICTED TO TEK TIER! - ARK Skits by LameWolfProductions

ARKitect!

This is an award given to Survivors to celebrate the amazing structures you build. These bases are judged based upon a number of different factors such as their creativity, uniqueness, how fun of a base it is, the difficulty of building it, the functionality it provides and much more!

The ARKitects for Community Crunch 120 are…

ARK Titanic by Wolf Angelus!

and...!

Aberration CLIFF PLATFORM CASTLE | BASE TOUR | Ark Survival [NO MODS] by badassunicorn

Congratulations to both of our ARKitects this week for their stunning builds!

If you'd like to check out the submissions from the rest of the entrants, you can do so here:

Fan Feature!

The Dragon egg movies theater by Valoule

YNeNP98.png

BECOME A SUPERHERO!! Ark Survival Evolved - [CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE] by SmileB4DEATH_YouTuber_71K

Harbor village by MissyPrime

FIRE ROCK DRAKE!! HOW TO GET A "FIRE ROCK" DRAKE!! - [ARK SURVIVAL EVOLVED] by SmileB4DEATH_YouTuber_71K

How to Build a Reaper Trap: Explore the Ark #18 (Ark: Survival Evolved) by MrWhitehearth

Ark Survival Evolved - Magic by gOOglyOwl

WHAT IF ARK HAD NUKES??? | ARK SURVIVAL EVOLVED by AxeMan

Volitare by Violet
94866E96C94D7BE35BA4E13751D08B28F0296D1C
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1308967192

Eternal. by Sayler
797715999F02B7F94940BECA1D47056C0A0C8C18
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1308692497

My Raptor, His Name is Tim by UwU//
C4B22512BB45B2A43AC0AE2391A103F0BAAFE85E
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1308262656

Iris by Dryicicle
CF6C01472CD86A1EE40EBC30523692D942DFFB27
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1308110639

a first digital thing by mateaperic51
CC1CF44F86928D2425B8170FDA6EFB0F698D18C3
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1313008531

Ark: Lost Continent: Achillobator skin design by Kaprodonychus
CCB79CBB7F560B10710D3F6F50A5B7FFCB381AB3
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1313089448

Ark: Lost Continent: Achillobator skin design - Shockal's Take by Shockal
04D912850950F5D1C4A70C928731AEE1C7A242CA
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1313373518

Bulbdoggo by Cupcake
E9A25782024401D92F9793BE0C689D9D9BA05B34
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1308247995

Good against evil by Juy BlackSoul
17635D09F93DDA725EEB09CFB96166D6AD360AF3
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1311600710

Stegoceratops by milokamilo
2112947A0C87A06FA8BF7AAD34F090FE1925FAFA
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1310067868

That's it for this post guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share please get in touch and be sure to follow us on:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

:Jerblove:

View full article

I can't believe that Titanic build won, it's nothing but an empty shell.
The Aberration build deserved to beat it, the build that I entered had layers upon layers of detail in every building to the point where it was too much for my xbox to handle. The final layer of graphics wouldn't load due the strain I put on my xbox & any attempt to add more detail would crash my xbox so I had to get my friend TLC to come & film footage to prevent my entry from looking like an early xbox 360 game!
He obviously only won because he filled the forum with moaning about being overlooked, I thought entries were judged on how good they were not on how much a person moans & floods the forums with claims of being overlooked.
@Jat, I invite you to personally visit my build to look around at the level of detail I achieved & then tell me personally why my detailed build should lose to an empty shell, you have my email address so feel free to contact me if you don't want to reply here.

8 minutes ago, Ego said:

@MissyPrime Two winners in this category. Not only Titanic (which, by the way, is an excellent job).

I know there were two winners, the runner up build deserved to win first place as I stated in my reply. The builder of the Titanic flooded the post for entering CC with non stop complaints that he always gets overlooked & hey presto he won even though his build had no detail, it was nothing but a shell.
The winner has shown that the way to win CC is to moan, not to actually put some effort into making a build interesting, as I also stated his titanic build had no effort put into detail, there was nothing interesting about it apart from the size.
I could build that in under 24hrs, my entry pretty much pushed the xbox to its limits, every attempt to add more to my entry crashed my xbox because I spent 3 months cramming that entry with details.
Maybe in future I'll just build something that's a big empty shell & then flood the rest of the post with complaints that no one is looking closely enough my entry (which is exactly what the builder of that boring shell did)

Edited by MissyPrime

@MissyPrime Unfortunately, it is not always completely clear on what criteria all the same is being evaluated. Some screenshots are also difficult to do, especially with the current bugs nvidia ansel but at the same time, something much simpler comes out on top. But in my opinion, everything that is published here is first of all self-expression, and only then earnings. Although the latter, of course, is pleasant, there is no dispute :-)

• Administrator

Both Wolf Angelus' entry and badassunicorn's entry were tied for first place, there were no runners-up for ARKitect selected this time. When we pick a winner, it's not just based on how functional a base is, or how much it contains, whether you've filled every spot, but sometimes we pick things which are visually pleasing, maybe we think the design is very creative, perhaps it's something new that we haven't seen before. All the builds are always impressive and let's face it, this contest is done for fun -- there aren't any formal point allocations, we're not saying one build is more impressive than the other, we're just choosing the winners which we believe deserved it this week.

The entries are specifically judged collectively, perhaps there's an argument for us being a bit more strict with how we handle submissions and judge contestants, but then we'd need to introduce more rules to the process, and it gets a lot more finicky. In the meantime, we're happy with how the ARKitect contest is run presently, were prize winners are selected based on a variety of factors. If you're unsatisfied, you need not enter. 

Additionally, despite what you think, someone complaining about the forums doesn't lead to the prizes being swapped around, or bias being made towards them. It's just that people submit different things each week, and sometimes they deserve to win, which was the case with today's contest. It isn't the first time someone has moaned about how a prize was selected, and it isn't the last. 

However, if you feel like your entry was overlooked, don't hesitate to let us know. That's absolutely fine, but please don't attack another person's build/submission, it was selected for a reason. If you're looking for some sort of formal judging process to truly identify whether your build is the best building in the game, the Crunch isn't where you find that. The crunch is a presentation of community goodies (and news) which we encourage players to share, and the prizes are just a bonus we do as a showing of gratitude for what you're able to create with our game.

If you are looking to take part in another building contest, y'all should check out this video:

@Jat, the competition you promoted that is being run by gg fizz is a pc competition so is of no use to us on console, I've said it before & i'll repeat it here, I think consoles should get a separate category for Arkitect as we are creating without mods & to make a build the size of many of the pc builds is beyond the ability of the consoles. As I stated very clearly my build pushed my xbox to it's absolute limit, I wanted to make my build much bigger but was prevented by the limitations of the hardware.

With regards to you saying that I shouldn't attack another persons build is a bit hypocritical as the person who built the titanic frequently attacks others for their builds beating his, he did it with Cpt Fatdog winning for his innovative round build (Even though that comment has been removed myself & others clearly read it). Previously he has attacked other builds such as one of the valentines builds yet you did not chastise him for frequently attacking others, instead you awarded him a win, how can anyone not think he's been rewarded for being a bad sport?
I carefully worded my response to mirror the way he attacked other people entries yet for some reason my response was deemed out of order whilst at no point have I seen you chastise him for this repeated behaviour (If you provide proof that I'm wrong about this then I will not hesitate to apologise).

Unlike the builder of the titanic I'm not going to keep this debate going, I wanted to highlight the impression that many will now have due to this debacle, I've said my piece & will move along.

Edited by MissyPrime

• Administrator

The response wasn't targetted at you, just a general message for everyone who takes part in these contests, going forward we'll just remove submissions if people want to attack each other's entries. It's gotten to a point where it's getting out of hand now. As I mentioned before, it's not the first time someone has complained about not placing, nor will it be the last but that doesn't effect the judgement. I've received emails/messages from multiple people, and there have been posts made here and on other platforms about how X deserved the win over Y, and it'll never influence the decision making process. However, there are times when entries may be missed, not often, but we're human and make mistakes so if you think that was the case don't hesitate to bring it up.

As for console entries, we can consider doing that, I'll discuss it with the team :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

The response wasn't targetted at you, just a general message for everyone who takes part in these contests, going forward we'll just remove submissions if people want to attack each other's entries. It's gotten to a point where it's getting out of hand now. As I mentioned before, it's not the first time someone has complained about not placing, nor will it be the last but that doesn't effect the judgement. I've received emails/messages from multiple people, and there have been posts made here and on other platforms about how X deserved the win over Y, and it'll never influence the decision making process. However, there are times when entries may be missed, not often, but we're human and make mistakes so if you think that was the case don't hesitate to bring it up.

As for console entries, we can consider doing that, I'll discuss it with the team :)

Perhaps two categories for mods and no mods instead of console/PC. I'm a PC builder, but I often build without mods because I'm making videos for Youtube of builds that others should be able to reproduce on consoles. But however you decide works for me. 

Edited by SWChris

@Jat, thank you for the honest response. I've entered & lost many times & have always taken it with good grace but it really irked me to constantly read complaints from this person & to then see him win, it definitely gives the impression that constant complaining can influence the outcome.
I'm passionate about Ark because it's the best thing to come to consoles in years (in my opinion), I'm an admin on a facebook builders group with over 2000 members & I know I'm not the only one who feels that it's unfair to have modded builds in the same category as non modded builds.
I agree with SWChris that instead of a console category it would make for a fairer competition to have an unmodded category for both those on console who do not have access to the mods & those on pc who do not wish to use them.

I'm honest enough to admit that I'm going through a bought of depression that did influence the way I worded my post & I apologise if I came off as being snarky, my intention was to highlight an issue not to attack another person.