Devs, Change the Otter/Hesperornis Taming Mechanic

Daedros

Seriously, what dev thought up the ridiculous taming method for Otters/Hesperornis? It is easily the most aggravating form of taming in the entire game, bar none. Taming a Troodon or even a Titanosaur is a cake walk compared to this ridiculousness. Every time you go to pick up the fish (even a medium one, like a 1.0 Sabertooth Salmon), it gets in your way of seeing the Otter/Hesperornis to feed it, while the "Feed" Key and the "Drop" key are one and the same, "E". So you just end up endlessly picking up the fish and dropping it. If it's a Hesperornis in front of you, they'll eat the fish as soon as you drop it. Sometimes when you drop the fish, it begins ascending to the heavens, where you can't retrieve it. The Hesperornis can't be picked up by any flyer, not even the Quetzal, and so relocating them to where there is Fish is damn near impossible, only a Megalosaurus or Tuso can carry them.

I'm not the only one that's complained about their taming method either.

20 minutes ago, Daedros said:

Seriously, what dev thought up the ridiculous taming method for Otters/Hesperornis? It is easily the most aggravating form of taming in the entire game, bar none. Taming a Troodon or even a Titanosaur is a cake walk compared to this ridiculousness. Every time you go to pick up the fish (even a medium one, like a 1.0 Sabertooth Salmon), it gets in your way of seeing the Otter/Hesperornis to feed it, while the "Feed" Key and the "Drop" key are one and the same, "E". So you just end up endlessly picking up the fish and dropping it. If it's a Hesperornis in front of you, they'll eat the fish as soon as you drop it. Sometimes when you drop the fish, it begins ascending to the heavens, where you can't retrieve it. The Hesperornis can't be picked up by any flyer, not even the Quetzal, and so relocating them to where there is Fish is damn near impossible, only a Megalosaurus or Tuso can carry them.

Try equus with lasso, it helps a lot!

But I agree, it's still annoying. 

1 hour ago, Daedros said:

Kaprosuchus also maybe? Not sure

2 hours ago, Daedros said:

So...just change the key for drop? I thought the taming was pretty easy. Don't forget to use ichthy-blessed fish for more taming affinity.

28 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Kaprosuchus

Yeah, there's a few ways to move a Hesperornis, such as Megalosaurus, Tuso, Equus with Lasso, Kaprosuchus, Grappling Hook, etc, but you'll run into the problem of carnivores wanting that Hesperornis, which is a pain to deal with when carrying/dragging something. There's still the pain in the ass taming process too. I usually use a Ichthyornis to kill a Salmon (any other kind of fish ruins the TE), and i'll kite the Ichthyornis back to the Otter/Hesperornis while it still has the glowing fish in it's mouth. Another pain is that even if you have the Otter/Hesperornis in a pen, if you have to go far enough to get a fish that noone's in render range of the Otter/Hesperornis, it can pop out of the pen when you enter render range again, or even despawn.

14 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

So...just change the key for drop? I thought the taming was pretty easy. Don't forget to use ichthy-blessed fish for more taming affinity.

Both the "E" Key and "G" Key work for dragging/dropping a body on PC. The "E" key is default for "Use", and the "G" key is default for "Drag Body". The problem stems from the fact that the "E" Key functions for both Use and Drag/Drop, even though there's already a key dedicated for dragging bodies.

1 hour ago, Daedros said:

Both the "E" Key and "G" Key work for dragging/dropping a body on PC. The "E" key is default for "Use", and the "G" key is default for "Drag Body". The problem stems from the fact that the "E" Key functions for both Use and Drag/Drop, even though there's already a key dedicated for dragging bodies.

That's weird...for me, the drop/drag is both G, and use is only E. Never had that problem for taming, and I've tamed a bunch of these guys.

Archived