JOIN GAME Greyed out- why is this happening?

@Jatheish  Please can you help shed some light over this one?

Over the past few months my dedi keeps reverting (frequently) to an unjoinable state, where the join game button/link is greyed out and unable to be selected. 

It's not the NAT. Can't be the internet as that bounces the game back to home and or start screen.

Really have no idea why it keeps happening- but sometimes it can happen twice a day. The only remedy being to return to main menu and reboot.

It's also not map related, happened on Rag and Ab and now on the Island.

To the best of my memory it seemed to start about a month after Rag was released- can't remember it ever happening before that? 

I read it could be related to password protection- so removed the password.... no joy.

It happened the other night and kicked all players at the same time- then, although the server looked to all intent and purposes fine- no one can rejoin. 

Odd thing though, it has happened in the past and some people can join- but for others it is greyed out (although this is infrequent). 

I've tried the obvious- hard reboot and cashe clear, reset MAC address (a few times).

Any ideas? It's such a pain as I work from home and have to keep stopping to restart the save.

Thanks,

Debzy

I know on window 10 store version, I started to have this issue the past day or so. There was a xbox app update for the app called "xbox identity provider" which is a new app but looks to be some kind of app that allows pcs to connect to xbox live servers. Anyways I updated the app and had to restart my server/pc before others were able to join my server again. @DebzyzZz

Guest DJRone89
On 08/03/2018 at 12:12 PM, DebzyzZz said:

Oddly, since I posted this it has only happened once...?  Around the time when the TLC patch was given. I have now, however, unchecked the join over platforms box.... its a mystery?

I had this issue on my player dedicated server almost 2 years ago, it only became more frequent the early part of last year.

Don’t listen to the tinfoil wearing conspiracy theorists who think Wildcard are purposefully doing this to push people to rent.

So has anyone found a reason why this is happening? I've been hosting a dedicated server for a couple weeks now and I'm trying to leave it on so friends can play when I'm not on. The problem is, after a day the "join game" just greys out and no one can join. It apparently jumps back and forth on its own though as I was just in mexico and left the server running the whole time. On day 1 my friend tried joining and he just got the grey "join game" but day 5 he decided to try again and this time he could get in.  NAT is open. Happens almost every time we try to play if it's left more than a few hours.  

Guest DJRone89
7 hours ago, GenericBeard said:

So has anyone found a reason why this is happening? I've been hosting a dedicated server for a couple weeks now and I'm trying to leave it on so friends can play when I'm not on. The problem is, after a day the "join game" just greys out and no one can join. It apparently jumps back and forth on its own though as I was just in mexico and left the server running the whole time. On day 1 my friend tried joining and he just got the grey "join game" but day 5 he decided to try again and this time he could get in.  NAT is open. Happens almost every time we try to play if it's left more than a few hours.  

Not sure what the reason is, but had this issue almost 2 years ago so it may even be a day 1 early access issue (along with the servers not showing in the sessions list). 

An issue Wildcard haven’t made a comment on because they don’t know what the cause is or potential fix is? Annoyingly as that sounds, I’m used to radio silence so I’d rather they only comment on stuff they can fix then to get your exitement up.

It might also be worth mentioning that Ark is the first game (that I’m aware of) to allow a secondary device to be used as standalone server, something Microsoft allowed but never considered so the fault may lie with them.

Yep I am now getting this issue, I didn't before. Like seriously the window store version is regressing fast after the latest update and I think MS is part of the problem. It is becoming impossible to host via windows store due to client licensing issues not updating correctly and now this. I can't keep the server going up longer than 24hrs without an issue, 2 weeks ago I could run it for weeks at a time with no issues. @Jatheish

This should be a bug and I wish the developers would acknowledge all the issues currently plaguing the windows store version...if they don't want to support/fix their game, I am not going to play it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mine has now got the greyed out join game issue again..... it happened three times yesterday and now I've found it like this again today. So the unchecking of cross platform and not password protected has not had an effect. 

So, have now deleted two single player saves that were on server, not sure how they both got there tbh- think one was from when I first installed to check program was functioning correctly- the other is a mystery! 

I really wish there was a fix for this, well this and the other major problem that I'm now going to make a post about entitled 'DEDI SERVER TURNS ALL BUILDINGS INTO NPC'S AND REMOVES TAMES AND OBJECTS-SAVE FILE CORRUPTION-XBOX' @Jatheish 

Should we be contacting Microsoft about the join game issue?

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:23 AM, DJRone89 said:

I had this issue on my player dedicated server almost 2 years ago, it only became more frequent the early part of last year.

Don’t listen to the tinfoil wearing conspiracy theorists who think Wildcard are purposefully doing this to push people to rent.

Having said that, NITRADO is still a superior option. A week ago I wouldn't have said that. However when the xbox I've been running our dedicated on since Dec 2016 finally died, I decided to give nitrado a try. I'm having a BETTER game play experience than I did when my server was in the next room... and having access to ALL the config options (sans mods) finally is a dream come true (Easter event anyone?)13.99 seems pretty cheep for all the benefits (spend more at a fast food joint) To put it in more ARKy terms it's like finally upgrading from the mortar and pestle to the Chem Bench:Stamina:

Guest DJRone89
23 minutes ago, Kyd said:

Having said that, NITRADO is still a superior option. A week ago I wouldn't have said that. However when the xbox I've been running our dedicated on since Dec 2016 finally died, I decided to give nitrado a try. I'm having a BETTER game play experience than I did when my server was in the next room... and having access to ALL the config options (sans mods) finally is a dream come true (Easter event anyone?)13.99 seems pretty cheep for all the benefits (spend more at a fast food joint) To put it in more ARKy terms it's like finally upgrading from the mortar and pestle to the Chem Bench:Stamina:

Oh I’ve already sold my player dedicated server Xbox and been running a Nitrado server cluster since launch in November. I really wanted to avoid renting but the save corruptions were the final nails in the player dedi coffin for me.

The join session issue as stated in this topic was annoying but bearable, losing 9 months of progress, wasn’t.

Guest DJRone89
4 minutes ago, DebzyzZz said:

$13.99 pm, or £11.74 (here) for 30 days with 10 slots. Or 90 days at £31.74 =  .35 per day = £128.72 per year.

I've already bought an xbox S (when Nitrado servers were just a twinkle in someones eye) and bought the game and DLC's twice. How much should it cost me to play Ark?

PS I don't eat fast food.

If you game shared, you wouldn’t have needed to buy anything twice!

I’m from the UK too and renting is as cheap as you are willing to rationalise. I have 2 x 10 slot servers for my community but I allow server boosting so people can directly donate run time.

So far, my community have saved me 6 months (across both servers) of payments, and all I offer in return are admin dino colour changes depending on their boost size - though no one has redeemed them and are more happy just to help keep the servers going.

If you have the means to do so, it’s worth considering to run a server from a Windows 10 device but know that you will still be limited on features, i.e. the server will run like a player dedi so it’s locked to a gamertag, no clusters, and fewer ini file options.

I game share with my son already- so had to buy again for server.

A cluster- wow- how much does that cost? I'm guessing each map is a separate fee? So for all five maps would be x5 £128.72 pa = £643.60 per year to play Ark. 

Considering most games cost £50/60 this is rather extortionate- don't you think?

Server boosting- I guess that's a way for donations to be made toward cost? But have no idea how that works.

I have thought about running through my PC, but according to this forum the join is very sketchy + I'd have to buy the game again (lol).

@Kyd & @DJRone89

You mentioned mods... what mods can be enabled on nitrado?  Can you get any of the PC mods, like the build one?

How is the lag?

Have the graphics improved ie quality/ render? 

Have you had any issues with the server? And if yes, how quickly was the ticket answered and the server brought up again?

Can you transfer a save from a dedi server- or do you have to start a fresh?

Sorry for all the questions, kinda curious now....

Thanks in advance :-)  

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, DebzyzZz said:

@Kyd & @DJRone89

You mentioned mods... what mods can be enabled on nitrado?  Can you get any of the PC mods, like the build one?

How is the lag?

Have the graphics improved ie quality/ render? 

Have you had any issues with the server? And if yes, how quickly was the ticket answered and the server brought up again?

Can you transfer a save from a dedi server- or do you have to start a fresh?

Sorry for all the questions, kinda curious now....

Thanks in advance :-)  

No mods, what the other guy meant was the vast amount of customisation you can do in comparison to player dedicated.

Lag is far fewer and in between but no server is immune to it. It happens so infrequently that you’ll forget about it, plus I’ve only experienced the odd spike, nothing ongoing.

The only issues I’ve had on my server is the odd crash (3 or 4 maybe?) but the server auto-reboots so it doesn’t affect the host in any way.

No graphical changes as you’d need to upgrade your client for that, same with render.

You can’t transfer from a dedicated save but you can from singleplayer, though it’s ill advised due to other people trolling.

4 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

No mods, what the other guy meant was the vast amount of customisation you can do in comparison to player dedicated.

Lag is far fewer and in between but no server is immune to it. It happens so infrequently that you’ll forget about it, plus I’ve only experienced the odd spike, nothing ongoing.

The only issues I’ve had on my server is the odd crash (3 or 4 maybe?) but the server auto-reboots so it doesn’t affect the host in any way.

No graphical changes as you’d need to upgrade your client for that, same with render.

You can’t transfer from a dedicated save but you can from singleplayer, though it’s ill advised due to other people trolling.

All correct NO mods sorry didn't mean to get your hopes up! I did have a small problem getting my server started but they had it fixed and running in about 24hrs and gave me 2 days extra run time.

Everything is the one monthly fee depending on how many slots you want all maps are included. Have to start fresh at first but after you get started you'll have acess to backups of your world if things go south. I think it saves the map every hour or so :)

I actually LAG/pause less (like almost never) so far on the NITRADO server, a very pleasant surprise.

I have drank the NITRADO Kool-Aid and now see the light! LOL 

(Damn if it weren't for fast food I'd probably starve...:$)

8 hours ago, DebzyzZz said:

$13.99 pm, or £11.74 (here) for 30 days with 10 slots. Or 90 days at £31.74 =  .35 per day = £128.72 per year.

I've already bought an xbox S (when Nitrado servers were just a twinkle in someones eye) and bought the game and DLC's twice. How much should it cost me to play Ark?

PS I don't eat fast food.

I honestly thought the exact same, until I tried it... (nitrado not fast food:D. That ship sailed LONG ago!)

PS Seriously? Not even Taco Bell :Jerblove: LOL

On 07/04/2018 at 10:44 PM, Kyd said:

Everything is the one monthly fee depending on how many slots you want all maps are included.

So you automatically have a cluster of all five maps? You don't have to pay each time for each individual map included?  Hmmmm now I'm wondering how you would differentiate which map you wished to join at loadup- I'm guessing they have slightly different names and you can bookmark them somehow?

On 07/04/2018 at 10:55 PM, Kyd said:

PS Seriously? Not even Taco Bell :Jerblove: LOL

We've only just got that here and I've not tried it... ok I'm not a complete health freak- I do eat rubbish (trash) sometimes ... but rarely- lets face it, the packaging probably contains more nutrients :-)

And one more question guys, say you have a 10 slot server- can you whitelist the players that boost so they can always get on?

Thanks for all your help btw- seriously thinking this is the only way to go as I'd actually like to play the game the way it was intended (minimal boosted stats) and eventually ascend! *voice of angelic singing*  lol

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, DebzyzZz said:

So you automatically have a cluster of all five maps? You don't have to pay each time for each individual map included?  Hmmmm now I'm wondering how you would differentiate which map you wished to join at loadup- I'm guessing they have slightly different names and you can bookmark them somehow?

We've only just got that here and I've not tried it... ok I'm not a complete health freak- I do eat rubbish (trash) sometimes ... but rarely- lets face it, the packaging probably contains more nutrients :-)

And one more question guys, say you have a 10 slot server- can you whitelist the players that boost so they can always get on?

Thanks for all your help btw- seriously thinking this is the only way to go as I'd actually like to play the game the way it was intended (minimal boosted stats) and eventually ascend! *voice of angelic singing*  lol

Each map must have its own server if you want to include them as part of your cluster (auto-generated unique ID shared amongst the servers). Bare in mind you still have to pay for each server too, with discounts only being applied to the run time of each if you buy in advance i.e. 3 months is cheaper than 1 month etc.

Each server must be set up separately too as there isn’t an option to duplicate settings unless you choose expert mode (allows ini changes outside of the standard UI in command line format, so you could affectively set up 1 server on standard settings, switch to expert mode, then copy and paste those settings directly on to your other servers as long as they have expert settings enabled too.)

All purchase must be made via the Nitrado app on the Xbox, but the server settings must be set up through the website. Unfortunately, there isn’t an auto renewal option so everything must be done manually - though if people boost (add run time) your server, you may not have to pay that month(s) like in my case where my community have covered my payments until June.

There is no option to whitelist or set up auto administrators either so an admin password must be set up if you want access to those commands.

One more thing, if you choose to run a cluster, it’s advised that you enable a password for each server (make it the same for ease) unless you go completely public. Each time people log in or transfer from server to server, you must input the password (if enabled).

In conclusion: you pay for each server separately, they must have the same cluser ID to synchronise, you can have as many servers as you like on whatever map you want, all purchases are performed through the Xbox Nitrado app, and there is no auto-renewal.

If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask :)

2 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Each map must have its own server if you want to include them as part of your cluster (auto-generated unique ID shared amongst the servers). Bare in mind you still have to pay for each server too, with discounts only being applied to the run time of each if you buy in advance i.e. 3 months is cheaper than 1 month etc.

Each server must be set up separately too as there isn’t an option to duplicate settings unless you choose expert mode (allows ini changes outside of the standard UI in command line format, so you could affectively set up 1 server on standard settings, switch to expert mode, then copy and paste those settings directly on to your other servers as long as they have expert settings enabled too.)

All purchase must be made via the Nitrado app on the Xbox, but the server settings must be set up through the website. Unfortunately, there isn’t an auto renewal option so everything must be done manually - though if people boost (add run time) your server, you may not have to pay that month(s) like in my case where my community have covered my payments until June.

There is no option to whitelist or set up auto administrators either so an admin password must be set up if you want access to those commands.

One more thing, if you choose to run a cluster, it’s advised that you enable a password for each server (make it the same for ease) unless you go completely public. Each time people log in or transfer from server to server, you must input the password (if enabled).

In conclusion: you pay for each server separately, they must have the same cluser ID to synchronise, you can have as many servers as you like on whatever map you want, all purchases are performed through the Xbox Nitrado app, and there is no auto-renewal.

If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask :)

Nailed it!

Although you CAN move characters and dinos to other maps using the same server. i.e. upload to an obelisk then use the nitrado xbox app web access to change the map and restart the server then everyone joining the server loads into new map. A little cumbersome but doable with a little planning. I think having a 2nd server to crossARK would be easier like have one Main server and the 2nd one to rotate maps like scorched and aberration as needed for what ever.

The more I play on the new server the more I like it honestly.

Feel free ta ask all the questions U like:) Honestly never meant to hijack your thread and make it all pro nitrado but I hope it all works out for you!:Jerbhi:

5 hours ago, DebzyzZz said:

Your welcome. I know my server is "across the pond" in NYC but if your interested in seeing how a server runs you can msg me on Live (Kyd Rok) and I'll hook you up with the password. I have a few Canadians on the server and they say it runs well for them so...

Archived