impossible to keep playing

Pyrometheus

I really love this game i do, but i dont know if i can keep playing like this.  Me and my friend have had the game since the first day of early access and have went through multiple servers.  We started on pve dedi for a month and it eventually went down and we lost everything.  then we did a pvp dedicated and again lost everything due to a restart this time.  This trend continues for months until we start an official and proceed to get murdered every time we step on land as i built a small base raft to keep us moving but eventually we have to tame dinos and get resources but since officials have so many people we cant get anywhere without getting killed its ridiculous.  We just wanna keep our tribe me and him but this game seems to be nothing but people harassing fresh spawns in officials and the dedis/unofficials are so unstable that we cant play more than a month without losing everything.  thats nearly 6 months of work between servers lost due to all this. 

@Pyrometheus I’m confused. Did I misread something?

1 hour ago, Pyrometheus said:

Me and my friend have had the game since the first day of early access

The way you write it reads as if you’ve been playing for months but the game has been out in EA on PS4 over a year. I joined this forum a year ago to the day. And had been plying this game for a couple months before I joined this forum. Such inconsistencies make it difficult to take your post serious so I assume I am reading it wrong or there’s a typo somewhere. 

The problems you’re complaining about here sound like someone who has been playing for a few weeks. I guess I’m having trouble buying into what you’re saying. You can’t keep doing the same thing over and over. Google definition of insanity. Something is off with what you’re saying. If you’re not learning and getting better you’re doing something wrong. There are several options available the most popular is unofficial servers. Have you tried those? 

I really love this game i do, but i dont know if i can keep playing like this.  Me and my friend have had the game since the first day of early access and have went through multiple servers.  We started on pve dedi for a month and it eventually went down and we lost everything.  then we did a pvp dedicated and again lost everything due to a restart this time.  This trend continues for months until we start an official and proceed to get murdered every time we step on land as i built a small base raft to keep us moving but eventually we have to tame dinos and get resources but since officials have so many people we cant get anywhere without getting killed its ridiculous.  We just wanna keep our tribe me and him but this game seems to be nothing but people harassing fresh spawns in officials and the dedis/unofficials are so unstable that we cant play more than a month without losing everything.  thats nearly 6 months of work between servers lost due to all this. 

It's called PvE! We may have our griefers and trolls, but under normal circumstances you won't lose ALL your work. (Excluding but not limited to: being kited by a giga, alpha wyvern, Titansaur, or rock golem.)

Edit: offical pve I mean to say***

1 hour ago, Pyrometheus said:

Sounds like your experiences have been rough. I'd recommend checking out a few of the dedi servers people are advertising in the forums. There are some which have been up for a LONG time and will likely continue to remain open. 

Official PvP is second only to League of Legends when it comes to toxicity...so I'd avoid that at all costs. PvE official is a little better.

apparently only like one person actually read my post... I tried pvp and pve, dedicated servers and official.  And yes i know survival games you lose stuff ive played plenty.  but this is the only survival game ive played that it can takes days or weeks to get stuff back unless you are on super jacked servers which i try to avoid.  What im complaining about is the fact that if i play dedis the over 10 we've been in have all ended up either closing or crashing resulting in full loss.  So its disheartening to keep trying new servers when experience tells they end badly.  And granted ive only played official rag pvp once for like a week but i didnt like the fact that there seems to not be enough room for everyone as where ever i went i ran into people and they immediately kill us.  so it seems extremely unlikely we can build and thrive in official without joining a big tribe or hiding somewhere remote with little resources.  and yes the dates were off as i just through a guess out without checking the actual release but we did buy when it first come out.

Guest DJRone89
4 minutes ago, Pyrometheus said:

apparently only like one person actually read my post... I tried pvp and pve, dedicated servers and official.  And yes i know survival games you lose stuff ive played plenty.  but this is the only survival game ive played that it can takes days or weeks to get stuff back unless you are on super jacked servers which i try to avoid.  What im complaining about is the fact that if i play dedis the over 10 we've been in have all ended up either closing or crashing resulting in full loss.  So its disheartening to keep trying new servers when experience tells they end badly.  And granted ive only played official rag pvp once for like a week but i didnt like the fact that there seems to not be enough room for everyone as where ever i went i ran into people and they immediately kill us.  so it seems extremely unlikely we can build and thrive in official without joining a big tribe or hiding somewhere remote with little resources.  and yes the dates were off as i just through a guess out without checking the actual release but we did buy when it first come out.

How are you finding these unofficial servers?

What type are they; player dedicated or PC unofficial?

On console, rented PC unofficials seem to be staying up more than player dedicated ever did, especially since players can donate (unless the host is stupid enough to think they can run without them in the long run).

For player dedicated I'd suggest looking over the dedicated server discussion sections of the forums to sort the wheat from the chaff.  If you're willing to consider joining an established tribe there is also the Tribes section that serves a similar purpose for tribal ads and info.  Obviously that would preclude staying in a 2 person tribe though.

On a side note, for me personally one of the most enjoyable parts of ARK game play is starting over.  That period where everything is dangerous, and survival more depends on personal skills and experience than accumulated stats, creatures, and equipment.  But again, that's a personal preference and not a critique of your motivations.

I read your post before I replied, so if I missed something I'm sorry! I was under the impression you didn't try offical pve! Which is what I was suggesting! Sorry for the confusion and if I didn't read correctly! [emoji4]

There are unofficials that have been up for months, if not years. My first server was an unofficial that was active for well over a year. It takes some research but if you look around you can find them. I'd recommend finding a PVE with lower rates and potentially in a cluster with some other maps, so people are a little more spread out.

But the most important thing is to find a server with a community you mesh with. That imo is much more important than which type of server you play on. It might take a few tries but spend a few hours or a day or so on a new server. Listen to global, tame a ptera or something and scout around some to get an idea of what kind of community the server is. If you see sprawling mega bases and everything is pillared or walled off, then you probably don't want to stay there. If there's a lot of arguing and server politics going on, you'll probably find griefers and trolls, or find yourself eventually caught up in the middle.

Find a good community and the rest falls into place. The server cluster I play on now has much higher rates than I prefer, but the community is pretty nice if quiet so I don't mind so much. The servers have been around for awhile so I have an assurance of their longevity, but if they go down it's not a huge deal. I actually like starting over, it's an opportunity to do things differently. But I also play exclusively on PVE unofficials so it's not like I have much to do with trading or general competition, and I've built up enough times that it doesn't take long at all. Play to enjoy, not to invest, is the attitude I've adopted lately.

11 hours ago, Pyrometheus said:

Read all your posts, double checked didn't miss anything. I get errors happen why I was asking. I type wrong stuff on accident all the time. 

IF I am understanding what your issue is correctly you just can't find a good location to play with your tribe (so single player wouldn't work). 

If that is correct then you ran into same issue I did and my group now play on a legacy server where the population at any given time is really low. I refuse to play with them since it's only a matter of time before it's repurposed/deleted. No thanks! *MY OPINION* is to really search hard to find a dedicated server, talk to the owner/admin(s) and see if it fits your needs OR host your own server. Let me know if I missed something.

yeah its more location.  The one we were just in was pc unofficial but it disappeared so im assuming they stopped paying for it.  I've ran my own server before as well but ultimately had issues keeping players in it so it became boring and nobody would mess with us since they knew we ran the server which sucked.  The issue is just finding a good dedi.  We like bonuses under 4x and most servers have massive bonuses and the ones that dont usually are full of carebears who dont raid or just wanna be friends with everyone.  Like i love building and stuff but game gets boring with no pvp or worry of being attacked but with official its more just griefing where you cant even get started without support of a tribe.

yeah i saw that lol its just sad that officials are really the only option for a fair play server that is supported.  I remember all the issues with dedicated in the past and them never running correctly, doesnt seem as bad now though.  just have to find a decent server i guess and hope it doesnt shut down again

Guest DJRone89
14 minutes ago, Pyrometheus said:

yeah i saw that lol its just sad that officials are really the only option for a fair play server that is supported.  I remember all the issues with dedicated in the past and them never running correctly, doesnt seem as bad now though.  just have to find a decent server i guess and hope it doesnt shut down again

What do you mean by dedicated; player or PC unofficial?

dedicated is player dedicated server and unofficial is pc.  ive tried both and both have failed me lol but im assuming pc is probably the more stable of the 2.  also yeah surviving is easy the only issue is finding a server with a balance of players to fight on unoffical and official just has super tribes that murder you on sight

Make friends with or join a megatribe, its the only way on official pvp. Servers are too laggy and megatribes wipe anyone they dont know to try and keep the lag down and keep it owned by them. If the game wasnt so laggy (esp Rag) you might be able to find one.
Pve is boring and most servers are at tame cap,  hosted servers either shut down or have save data corruptions (happened to me 3 times before I went official).

Archived