Boss Mammoths?

anubis3691

I know that the Rex's and these are the bossinators, but has any one ever tried Mammoths? I know average when I tame a high level mammoth I'm looking at 7-9k health, so surely if you search them enough like everyone does rexs you can find higher. I was looking through base dmg on wiki and one of the attacks (I guess the stomp) does 65 base dmg if I'm not mistaken.

Since Mammoths can have veggie cakes too.. I mean... Is it plausible? Boss mammoths? (Plus they are a heck easier to raise then a thez or a Rex)

What's everyone's thoughts?

Is there any Dino's you've ever considered trying for boss runs, just to see?

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using SurviveTheArk Community mobile app

One of my friends tested this on singleplayer at my request. Apparently mammoths are too fat and thus don't all get to reach the boss, therefore you can't fit as many around it as you can with rexes or theris thus lose on dps [emoji20]
Yea, that seems like a down fall.. any ideas for counter? Bullets would take to much.. And then you run the risk of killing your own mammoth.. 10 Mammoths, 9 allosaurs for xtra dmg 1yuti for... Well yuti lol.

Whatcha think?

5 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Yea, that seems like a down fall.. any ideas for counter? Bullets would take to much.. And then you run the risk of killing your own mammoth.. 10 Mammoths, 9 allosaurs for xtra dmg 1yuti for... Well yuti lol.

Whatcha think?

Well, considering theris have the same hp and they run faster... Id say they would be better.

However, if youre fighting the dragon, maybe having one or two mammoths for that sweet aoe to deal with dimos might be interesting.

5 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:

How about uploading the mammoths and then downloading them all in the obelisk, they might fit as they get one on top of the other when you download many tames at the same time.

I believe he was referencing in the actual fight. Not all can reach say the broodmother so they can't all hit her, thus lowering dps. 

16 hours ago, anubis3691 said:

Yea, that seems like a down fall.. any ideas for counter?

Since zone of boss teleportation is a sphere around the terminal, how about: trapping a drop mid-air on a platform and position mammoths around it in 3D. The concern is that mammoths below the drop may end up below the boss arena.

Or build some sort of ramp(s) to position some mammoths just above obi terminal.

1 hour ago, banggugyangu said:

@Wazzamaniac Have you taken a reaper into the dragon yet?  The reason  I ask is that mine is currently on Ragnarok being used as an alpha slayer.  The fire DoT is reduced by the natural armor.  I'm wondering if the dragon is the same situation.  If so, then omg 19 reapers + 1 yuty....

As a matter of fact, I am bringing one next week :)

But imagine raising 19 reapers... yeesh!

12 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

Yeah,  but if it reduces fire dot, then reapers will be king of that fight for sure, and I imagine overseer as well...  Also using the "Let the baby eat me!" technique, reaper raising isn't really too bad.  Just need to make sure you get those imprints.

Lemme know how it goes, though.  

Oh yea definitely. Its really finding good queens though, I spent 8h during the valentines event and found two. One of them sucked, the other was average. Its down to luck, often i find 145s immediately, other times it just doesnt happen... But hey, I got 700 reaper glands from that xD

1 hour ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

I've tried boss mammoths vs the dragon. 1 or 2 didn't teleport, only the few in the front could attack, un-ridden mammoths cycle through their 3 attacks resulting in a poor DPS..I would NOT recommend..lol. The super cheap price for their ascendant saddles vs rex or theriz was nice though xD

@banggugyangu I predict this will also happen with reaper kings. They will use tail swipe and web shot a lot instead of biting.

Well, given that the debuff from the shot affects the dragon, that's not a bad thing for the unridden ones to keep it stacked on him.  The tail swipe would be a problem, except that they would likely swarm.  The damage is lower than the bite, but not by a lot.  I have been 1shotting a lot of dinos that at level 1 have 300+ health on a 692% melee reaper.  That's still a hefty amount of damage for the tail swipe.  The typical attack patter for unridden reapers seems to be a howl > projectile > 2-5 bites > howl > tail swipe > 2-5 bites > repeat.  They still will put out a decent DPS when unridden.  Regardless, though, if they take reduced damage from the fire breath on the dragon, then it would still be worth riding one instead of a rex.

The only real viable alternative to Rexes at the moment is Megatherium against the Broodmother.  20k health, 500 damage, mastercraft saddle Megatheriums can out damage a equivalent rex in that scenario only.  Megalosaurus can do well at night, but that is so gimmicky and risky I don't really find it to be viable.

5 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

Well, given that the debuff from the shot affects the dragon, that's not a bad thing for the unridden ones to keep it stacked on him.  The tail swipe would be a problem, except that they would likely swarm.  The damage is lower than the bite, but not by a lot.  I have been 1shotting a lot of dinos that at level 1 have 300+ health on a 692% melee reaper.  That's still a hefty amount of damage for the tail swipe.  The typical attack patter for unridden reapers seems to be a howl > projectile > 2-5 bites > howl > tail swipe > 2-5 bites > repeat.  They still will put out a decent DPS when unridden.  Regardless, though, if they take reduced damage from the fire breath on the dragon, then it would still be worth riding one instead of a rex.

The thing that makes theris shine is their ability to heal from veg cakes more than the fire resist. The problem with multiple attacks, is the reapers waste biting time on howling, and the cocoon/tail swipe are very slow attacks. You only need to shoot the dragon once to ground it, you can do it as a rider and dont need the 19 ai to do it.

Not to mention, having it landed doesnt give you any advantage other than just completing it. This is normally not a boss you run out of time on, its more about your dinos dying.

1 hour ago, RipRavage said:

The only real viable alternative to Rexes at the moment is Megatherium against the Broodmother.  20k health, 500 damage, mastercraft saddle Megatheriums can out damage a equivalent rex in that scenario only.  Megalosaurus can do well at night, but that is so gimmicky and risky I don't really find it to be viable.

Therries do works as well.

Megatheriums are much better than rexes or theries on the brood mother.

4 minutes ago, Thorium said:

Therries do works as well.

Megatheriums are much better than rexes or theries on the brood mother.

I forgot about Therizinosaurs, but they take an ungodly amount of time to tame and their kibble is expensive.  Unless you have Megalosaurus eggs laying around its hard to justify picking them over rexes since they have similar damage output and rexes are cheaper.  Megatheriums are relatively cheap since Honey is almost as effective as kibble taming them.  I got a 350 melee Megatherium on my first honey tame of them.

2 hours ago, RipRavage said:

I forgot about Therizinosaurs, but they take an ungodly amount of time to tame and their kibble is expensive.  Unless you have Megalosaurus eggs laying around its hard to justify picking them over rexes since they have similar damage output and rexes are cheaper.  Megatheriums are relatively cheap since Honey is almost as effective as kibble taming them.  I got a 350 melee Megatherium on my first honey tame of them.

Aberration makes megalo kibble trivial.

8 hours ago, RipRavage said:

Depends on the maps you play on. Megalosaurus for eggs is very easy to get on Ragnarok in the big cave system. Just fly in with a quetz and grab them.

I find therizinos easier to tame then rexes. While they do take a lot longer, you can grab them with a wyvern and throw them in a box for your convenience and tame many in parallel.

Archived