Jellyfish=Too many water dinos can't be used

Migol

At present, there are 2 water dinos which aren't affected by Jellyfish and to a lesser degree eels.

This is the Basilo and Tuso.    They're not aquatic, but I hear (can anyone confirm?) that Rock Golems and Karkinos are also immune, though obviously their uses are a bit limited.

Then you have the ones that ARE affected by Jellfish:

• Megalodon
  • Angler
  • Dunkle
  • Manta
  • Icthy
  • Liopleurodon
  • Mosasaur
  • Plesiosaur
  • Bary
  • Spino
  • Sarco
  • Carbonemy
  • Kaprosuchus
  • Beelzebufo
  • Diplocaulus

All of these are water dinos, some more than others (Sarcos/spinos etc are multi-terrain for example).    But, frankly, pretty much all of them are -unusable- in the ocean at the moment.    You can with great care go out into the ocean with them, but you're playing with loaded dice that in the middle of the fight, your 250 level, 5 day breeding effort of a mosa will be completely undone by a level 5 jellyfish.   

This is magnified greatly in the caves, where Jellyfish literally come out of the walls like a spectre from ghostbusters.    It becomes impossible to use anything that isn't a basil or tuso because it will die.

These need a change, I'd be happy with a slow stamina drain, or the current stun+paralsys on survivors only, or just doing damage or whatever.     But having a tiny creature dominate much larger, much better levelled creatures with ease is just unbalancing the ocean game to hell.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Migol said:

At present, there are 2 water dinos which aren't affected by Jellyfish and to a lesser degree eels.

This is the Basilo and Tuso.    They're not aquatic, but I hear (can anyone confirm?) that Rock Golems and Karkinos are also immune, though obviously their uses are a bit limited.

Then you have the ones that ARE affected by Jellfish:

• Megalodon
  • Angler
  • Dunkle
  • Manta
  • Icthy
  • Liopleurodon
  • Mosasaur
  • Plesiosaur
  • Bary
  • Spino
  • Sarco
  • Carbonemy
  • Kaprosuchus
  • Beelzebufo
  • Diplocaulus

All of these are water dinos, some more than others (Sarcos/spinos etc are multi-terrain for example).    But, frankly, pretty much all of them are -unusable- in the ocean at the moment.    You can with great care go out into the ocean with them, but you're playing with loaded dice that in the middle of the fight, your 250 level, 5 day breeding effort of a mosa will be completely undone by a level 5 jellyfish.   

This is magnified greatly in the caves, where Jellyfish literally come out of the walls like a spectre from ghostbusters.    It becomes impossible to use anything that isn't a basil or tuso because it will die.

These need a change, I'd be happy with a slow stamina drain, or the current stun+paralsys on survivors only, or just doing damage or whatever.     But having a tiny creature dominate much larger, much better levelled creatures with ease is just unbalancing the ocean game to hell.

LMAO I assume you didn't play when the eels were just released?

Not every dino on here is going to be equipped to handle every situation the game throws at you. The jellies are slow and easy to hunt by boat or how I enjoy hunting them on the island or anywhere else is with a pairing of the pelagornis and ichthyornis. I lure them out by swimming above them  on the pelagornis until they surface and then I take off above them. Throw the ichthyornis into the air using the R key and use the attack this command with ichthyornis and it will instantly kill it. Then I come down and collect my prize of bio-toxin with the pelagornis.

I agree this needs to be seriously fixed ASAP!

I always hoped that when releasing the jellies they would be half transparent, and half navy blue. I pictured them swimming aimlessly in the sea and if you swam into one, too bad, but they really should not chase players and tames, that's ridiculous!!

Have you ever seen a jellyfish chasing after you like it wanna smash!?

I don't think they are too overpowering because of how slow they are but I think their whole movement and aggro system is weird. Real jellies can't swim sideways and the definitely can't chase down humans, or anything for that matter. Their position should randomly rotate in every direction and they should only be able to swim in one direction. Also I don't think they should actively chase players and tames. 

Yeah! Those stupid devs should at least make them easier to see and avoid. Like, maybe make them glowing white in an abyss of shadows so that players can actually see and avoid them. Then they should make them so slow that when someone dies to them it's like watching that scene in Austin Powers where a guy lies there screaming for half a minute while a steam roller slowly inches forward and crushes him. What the devs really need to do is make them easily kill-able with a few arrows from a crossbow. If they do that, the oceans will be a lot safer.

3 hours ago, edskelly said:

My fully imprinted mosa and everything else just sits in the water pen.

I use nothing but a squid for open water and basil for underwater caves.

broken mechanics....

Exactly something needs changing, I don't even like taking my dunky to the crystals by blue tower on Ragnarok and my base is on the edge of viking bay

I lost one fish to jellies. One. Since I have been playing. I have noted that their speed has gone WAY up (doubled?) in a patch in the last six or eight months, but beyond that they don't bug me. My issue is the sheer number of them and sharks. For example, I live six out of seven days above water on land. Once a week I go down to get fish meat, bio-toxin, etc. The server is around day 230. I have over 1300 shark teeth and a fridge filled to the brim with bio-toxin. The next closest trophy item I have is argent talons. I have like 214 of those. This tells me there are WAY too many sharks and jellies. I use the toxin too! Shocking tranq darts are stockpiled in a fridge. I should not be able to spend a single day a week underwater and have so much more shark teeth or toxin. It makes no sense.

On the flip side of that, I rare see leeds, basils, and squids. Seems balancing is in order.

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

Yeah...people need to pay more attention while in the water and keep a crossbow on them.

Lol yeah sure or just use my tuso instead, the dunkly is the only other water mount that I even want to use, and since I have the resources I need on land I just use the dunk for cleaning up the pirate ship before getting that loot crate

I'll take a fast frog and an ascendant crossbow over most water animal without question. No matter what I use though (including Mosas) jellyfish just aren't much of a problem. Even if one plugs a tame, a few arrows kills them pretty quick. A decent tame can tank that kind of damage for a while. The only time they can really screw you is if you're fighting off a mosa/tuso/alpha and accidentally swim into one. Then it's pretty much GG. 

I think the jellies spawn far too much (on island in my experience), so much so that on my server I turned their spawn rate waaaaayyyy down. If they do want them spawning at the current rate I’d suggest that more creatures have immunity to their dismounting stun and the way id separate them is like this.

Purely aquatic mounts (megas, mosa, dolphins etc) should be immune.

Amphibious mounts (Bary, spino, sarco etc) should not be immune

This is way the purely aquatic mounts gain some more value when going into THEIR primary environment over the amphibious but the amphibious obviously have the advantage of being able to travel on land.

1 hour ago, Krizdug said:

Purely aquatic mounts (megas, mosa, dolphins etc) should be immune.

as i agree with the mosa being immuned i dont think the dolphin should, simply because jellyfish in present day can stun those creatures. I feel anything the size of a whale and above should be immuned as jellyfish have little to no affect on Great whites (closest size to mega) they should be okay

10 hours ago, edskelly said:

My fully imprinted mosa and everything else just sits in the water pen.

I use nothing but a squid for open water and basil for underwater caves.

broken mechanics....

I personally find that the other dinosaurs are extras, if you happen to be in a party with a tank and a squid to cover. Pretty much obsolete things that don't account for anything useful end-game. Squid and basil is pretty much the game.

10 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

I'll take a fast frog and an ascendant crossbow over most water animal without question. No matter what I use though (including Mosas) jellyfish just aren't much of a problem. Even if one plugs a tame, a few arrows kills them pretty quick. A decent tame can tank that kind of damage for a while. The only time they can really screw you is if you're fighting off a mosa/tuso/alpha and accidentally swim into one. Then it's pretty much GG. 

I agree with this but the problem is them randomly coming out of walls in the caves 

2 hours ago, IamTANK said:

you guys are asking for trouble.  you do realise that wc will prolly nerf the tuso and basil instead of buffing everything else?  look at their history.

They already nerfed the tuso. I have one which tamed with 26.6k health. After a recent patch it is down to 21k. Next it will likely become weaker than a jellyfish.

1 hour ago, Sharpshot879 said:

I agree with this but the problem is them randomly coming out of walls in the caves 

You do realize that there are chambers BEHIND the walls where these things spawn, right? This is how caves work. I have use ghost mode to explore behind the walls where they come out. Sometimes there are LOADS of enemies in rooms behind those one-way walls, sometimes only a few. Still, this is what makes the caves challenging. You couldn't put that many mobs in one spot IN the cave without completely blocking the way. This isn't WoW.

Archived