Are railings as walls viable?

Hamlion

No just based off foundations being a lot harder to destroy.

You esentially only need to destroy the foundation and half your wall goes down. Where as 1 wall gets blown up the structure stays held up by the other walls, ceilings, and foundations.

Now if this is for your main base or something I would say it doesn't matter only due to the fact that if they make it to your main base your SOL already. Same reason if your base is on pillars or foundations. I personally say it doesn't matter as if they are under your base its hella gg already.

comes down to personal preference tbh but A foundationed, walled, and roofed base should take longer to raid then a base made of tek railings. You also cant use hatch frames or catwalks on the wall but you may be able to glitch turrets thorough the railings similar to how people do it on behe gates.

9 hours ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

No just based off foundations being a lot harder to destroy.

You esentially only need to destroy the foundation and half your wall goes down. Where as 1 wall gets blown up the structure stays held up by the other walls, ceilings, and foundations.

Now if this is for your main base or something I would say it doesn't matter only due to the fact that if they make it to your main base your SOL already. Same reason if your base is on pillars or foundations. I personally say it doesn't matter as if they are under your base its hella gg already.

comes down to personal preference tbh but A foundationed, walled, and roofed base should take longer to raid then a base made of tek railings. You also cant use hatch frames or catwalks on the wall but you may be able to glitch turrets thorough the railings similar to how people do it on behe gates.

I heard you can see and shoot through railings but I don't see why I would need that.

For perimeter or your actual base walls? Definitely not for the base itself, you need real walls, preferably layered at least 2 thick. The durability is weak as heck.

For your outer perimeter, which serves to obstruct/limit draining and sniping, behemoth gates are by far the cheapest per coverage, as well as the least offensive to your framerate. You'd have to stack railing about 7 wide and 24 high to cover the same area as ONE behemoth gate. 

in my last server, i did double walls and triple railings.

place your foundation. place a fence foundation on top of it. snap a wall to the edge of the foundation and one to the fence foundation.

go to the outside of the wall. snap a fence foundation to the ground outside of the foundation — this should make it parallel to the foundation. attach rails to the outside fence foundation.

on the outside fence foundation’s snap points, snap two additional fence foundations — one on each end. they should be snapped at 45 degree angles and will look like “X” (from an aeriel view) if done properly. build rails all the way up. do this all the way around the base. this was an extremely effective set up for me. if you want to take things a step further...

exactly 1 foundation length out from the base, place a layer of walls and fence foundations. turret towers at each end diagonal from the corner of the base, all gridded together.  the wiring connecting them placed inside of the walls for protection. 

snap ceilings to the outside edge of each of the perimeter walls. snap window frames and catwalks to the outmost edge of the ceilings. put more turrets behind these windows on the ground facing outside. set them to “mounted creatures only” and medium range. these turrets will be designed to kill stegos. since they are on the ground, the turret’s line of sight will be lower than where the stego armor plates are. the catwalks ensure that the turrets don’t aim at flyers.

along with this, i had hundreds of other turrets set to different ranges and settings. no one was able to raid us after we finally built it all up. the base remained untouched until the server got deleted.

Tek railings and fence foundations take like 5x as much C4 to pop as a metal wall.  Metal walls take what, 4 C4?  You cannot shoot through a tek railing either.  If you want to keep someone out of a certain area, layering 5 layers of tek railings/fence foundations will cost the attacker over 100 C4 just to get through to your real wall.

Tek railings and fence foundations cost 0 element to make.  They were/are so effective and cost efficient, that WC has decided to nerf their crafting cost in the latest TLC patch to cost element shards to craft.

6 layers of metal walls costs 24 C4 to break through.  6 layers of tek fence foundations/walls would cost like 150 C4 to get through, and, prior to this TLC update, would be a LOT cheaper than metal walls/foundations to make.

On 21/02/2018 at 6:41 PM, Brayn said:

Tek railings and fence foundations take like 5x as much C4 to pop as a metal wall.  Metal walls take what, 4 C4?  You cannot shoot through a tek railing either.  If you want to keep someone out of a certain area, layering 5 layers of tek railings/fence foundations will cost the attacker over 100 C4 just to get through to your real wall.

Tek railings and fence foundations cost 0 element to make.  They were/are so effective and cost efficient, that WC has decided to nerf their crafting cost in the latest TLC patch to cost element shards to craft.

6 layers of metal walls costs 24 C4 to break through.  6 layers of tek fence foundations/walls would cost like 150 C4 to get through, and, prior to this TLC update, would be a LOT cheaper than metal walls/foundations to make.

Nice info, I'm going to build some layers of TEK railings then thx.

20 hours ago, Hamlion said:

Nice info, I'm going to build some layers of TEK railings then thx.

If you're on Xbox or PS4, build them TODAY.  As of right now the TLC patch hasn't hit yet and they still just cost a small amount of metal and paste to make.  They craft SUPER slow though, so you need to spend like 5 element running the replicator to make 300 or so railings.  Still way cheaper than having to spend the 5 element plus shards to craft them.

Archived