A Survivors Thoughts on the Raptor TLC Pass

TheDonn

28 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Heh yea you're probably right on that one. :) I forget the classification order for species naming.

I start to get hazy with anything above family level. I let google do all the hard work :D

8 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

I must agree.  It is a fantasy-dino game, these weren't real.  They are creative-license-altered takes on real dinos.

+1 it is a game after all.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Edit: if only we had check points in Ark haha

Technically we do.. we just dont have control over them unless you're an admin or single player. I believe there is a console command for it to make it save? But It does save and thus the point in time which the famous rollback after the crash takes place.. Maybe the meme should say "and déjà-vu are just rollbacks?"

5 hours ago, Xenithar said:

snip

I also dislike how fantasy looking those dinosaurs are to the point I question modellers' basic knownledge of anatomy. You can create fantasy looking creatures and keep their anatomy more or less accurate (i.e any wyverns in films or games), but it's not the case here and it never will.

Regarding the raptor.

The new raptor's arm feathers looks out of place completely. They don't fit this kind of forearm shape and posture, and they're too big. Unless walking and running animation is changed, I guarantee they will clip through raptor's tights more than old feathers. Raptors arms and paws should have a structure of a wing, only then any kind of feathers would look good there. 

Ear holes are way too big and they look quite ridiculous. Nostrils could be scaled down slightly.

Tail's feathers looks odd. They seem to have low quality feathers. If WC wants to have feathers there, I suggest to do something similar that Primal Carnage Exctinction's feathered novaraptors have on their tails. On the other hand vertical feathers don't make sense, because they would have made body balance harder to achieve for running raptor. 

Feathers lack any kind of transition between scaly and feahtered region therefore it looks like they were slapped on the raptor and glued.

It's nice to see they are working on things they should have done during the Early Access finally. Too bad,  instead on working such QoL updates improving the game overall during that time, they were waisting time and rescources on redundant features and dinosaurs. Owing to the fact another DLC is on the horizon, I'm more than sure they will stop working on QoL updates pretty soon and then they will focus on DLC entirely. I hope I'd be wrong and the game would be improved to the point I may consider playing it again.

3 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

I also dislike how fantasy looking those dinosaurs are to the point I question modellers' basic knownledge of anatomy. You can create fantasy looking creatures and keep their anatomy more or less accurate (i.e any wyverns in films or games), but it's not the case here and it never will.

You seem like the guy who got dragged to an art museum and spent the whole visit muttering, "But there's no way clocks can melt that's preposterous...and that didn't look anything like a real bowl of fruit." :P Outside of people wanting to see Laura Croft's boobs, most gamers by and large don't really seem to care about anatomical realism in video games.

16 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

You seem like the guy who got dragged to an art museum and spent the whole visit muttering, "But there's no way clocks can melt that's preposterous...and that didn't look anything like a real bowl of fruit." :P Outside of people wanting to see Laura Croft's boobs, most gamers by and large don't really seem to care about anatomical realism in video games.

In dinosaur case, they do care vide feathered dinosaurs. However, I'm not a player who would scream and protest with a torch in hand, because modeller decided to make a fantasy looking creature. Modellers can still make fantasy looking creature without sacrificing accurate anatomy too much. I prefer a balance between those two things.

1 hour ago, Lewiatan said:

In dinosaur case, they do care vide feathered dinosaurs. However, I'm not a player who would scream and protest with a torch in hand, because modeller decided to make a fantasy looking creature. Modellers can still make fantasy looking creature without sacrificing accurate anatomy too much. I prefer a balance between those two things.

Obviously it's a fundamental difference in opinion...I just have a hard time understanding how such things would cause a person to quit or come back to playing a video game. I agree that they need to find a balance, but personally I think they have...moreso than I think you're giving them credit for. At some point the developers have to learn to say, "OK, that's good enough." Considering the quantity of realism complaints, I feel like they've found a pretty happy medium.

5 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

At some point the developers have to learn to say, "OK, that's good enough." Considering the quantity of realism complaints, I feel like they've found a pretty happy medium.

Agreed.. I have hit my reaction limit today due to ignorantly trying to like/thumbs up everyone assisting me in my breeding thead so this is the best I can do to haha.

12 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Obviously it's a fundamental difference in opinion...I just have a hard time understanding how such things would cause a person to quit or come back to playing a video game. I agree that they need to find a balance, but personally I think they have...moreso than I think you're giving them credit for. At some point the developers have to learn to say, "OK, that's good enough." Considering the quantity of realism complaints, I feel like they've found a pretty happy medium.

Fantasy looking dinosaurs didn't make me quit the game. The answear is more complicated than that. Main reason was the game does not respect my time and other things such as terrible server and game performance, lackluster gameplay mechanics, the most primitive AI I've ever seen. After 0,5 year from premiere they started working on QoL updates, that should have taken place during EA tbh. There is a chance after those updates game would be polished enough to give it a shot again. However, unless devs adress one problem "if you tamed, built, bred what you wanted, the game becomes really stale and boring", I won't bother. Mods only delay that problem. 

52 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

Fantasy looking dinosaurs didn't make me quit the game. The answear is more complicated than that. Main reason was the game does not respect my time and other things such as terrible server and game performance, lackluster gameplay mechanics, the most primitive AI I've ever seen. After 0,5 year from premiere they started working on QoL updates, that should have taken place during EA tbh. There is a chance after those updates game would be polished enough to give it a shot again. However, unless devs adress one problem "if you tamed, built, bred what you wanted, the game becomes really stale and boring", I won't bother. Mods only delay that problem. 

First off, I know you didn't quit the game over it, I was referring to yourself and a couple of other folks who a bit more melodramatic on the subject in other threads.

Second, I feel like the discussion is drifting into different territory. We were talking about dino aesthetics and anatomy at first, which I'm down for. But now you're bringing up poor official server performance, buggy game performance, subjectively unfavorable mechanics, the limitations of programming for thousands of server controlled AI instances, and grievances about the poor state of the game on release. None of this had anything to do with what we were talking about, and we could fill multiple threads with discussions about only half of the new points that you've brought up. If you want to keep talking about character models I'm down, but there's no point in trying to discuss any of the other stuff here.

7 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

First off, I know you didn't quit the game over it, I was referring to yourself and a couple of other folks who a bit more melodramatic on the subject in other threads.

Second, I feel like the discussion is drifting into different territory. We were talking about dino aesthetics and anatomy at first, which I'm down for. But now you're bringing up poor official server performance, buggy game performance, subjectively unfavorable mechanics, the limitations of programming for thousands of server controlled AI instances, and grievances about the poor state of the game on release. None of this had anything to do with what we were talking about, and we could fill multiple threads with discussions about only half of the new points that you've brought up. If you want to keep talking about character models I'm down, but there's no point in trying to discuss any of the other stuff here.

I thought you assumed I quitted due to visual aspects of creautres, therefore I gave you my true reasons. This is why I mentioned them. I agree let's not move to offtopic areas. As for raptor design I said what I had to say about it. One thing that I'm curious about is the pounce animation and what creatures raptor would be able to pin down exactly.

On 2/20/2018 at 1:08 AM, EssentialFrenzy said:

Personally, I think that if one creature gets a pack buff then all pack creatures should receive a pack buff.  If only one pack got a buff then all the other pack creatures wouldn't stand a chance.  This at least helps a bit to allow raptors to burst down a target.  And I would say these abilities are fairly unique.  The pack buff isn't the exact same as others and the pin is a great new addition.  Also I would say that if anything this pack buff definitely extends the time that raptors are relevant to players.  This doesn't really make them any harder to tame.  Bola + sling shot/club = easily knocked out raptor.  If people go about it properly then this will only prolong the use of raptors rather than only making them harder tames.  These changes will likely promote the use of raptors in more stages of the game now.  Some people enjoy using high level raptor packs later in the game, which will be slightly more impactful now.  I can also see the pin and speed buff being somewhat useful in certain pvp situations.  My hope is that they won't be outclassed as easily anymore and maybe instead of people trading their raptors in for carnos they will trade them in for better raptors.  Also I'm sure the carno will be receiving a tlc pass at sometime (at least I hope) which will likely move it up from its current position in the game.  The same goes for trikes as well.  If this all happens then the raptor will be needing these changes, especially when the trike receives the ability to impale smaller creatures like raptors.  

It's call survival of the fittest. Not survival of the well balanced.

2 hours ago, TheNeoReaper said:

It's call survival of the fittest. Not survival of the well balanced.

That is pretty much what I mean!  If the playing field is fully level, there is no food chain, there is no pecking order.  Keep it unique, pack buff for movespeed only, nix the dmg/resist buff!  Raptors will gain a new threat with it and a bit of an expansion to their window of usefulness, and it won't make them so-so-so fatal for lowbies and unbalance the game for them.  The Utahraptor is very well known for its speed and agility.  This will add perfectly to it!

On 2/22/2018 at 3:00 PM, Lewiatan said:

Regarding the raptor.

The new raptor's arm feathers looks out of place completely. They don't fit this kind of forearm shape and posture, and they're too big. Unless walking and running animation is changed, I guarantee they will clip through raptor's tights more than old feathers. Raptors arms and paws should have a structure of a wing, only then any kind of feathers would look good there. 

Ear holes are way too big and they look quite ridiculous. Nostrils could be scaled down slightly.

Tail's feathers looks odd. They seem to have low quality feathers. If WC wants to have feathers there, I suggest to do something similar that Primal Carnage Exctinction's feathered novaraptors have on their tails. On the other hand vertical feathers don't make sense, because they would have made body balance harder to achieve for running raptor. 

Feathers lack any kind of transition between scaly and feahtered region therefore it looks like they were slapped on the raptor and glued.

It's nice to see they are working on things they should have done during the Early Access finally. Too bad,  instead on working such QoL updates improving the game overall during that time, they were waisting time and rescources on redundant features and dinosaurs. Owing to the fact another DLC is on the horizon, I'm more than sure they will stop working on QoL updates pretty soon and then they will focus on DLC entirely. I hope I'd be wrong and the game would be improved to the point I may consider playing it again.

The only thing model-wise I am inclined to agree with, is the last bit about being a bit artless with how they are attached.  But here's a thought:  They were just jazzed to get the model out and tossed out a rough-render?  I mean we have -zero- ETA on the rest of this TLC pass, and I think they just wanted to show us what's coming.  The rest of the arguing about the model, I dunno...  I can handle the other changes.  I think its going in a good direction.  It might change more, we shall see.

• 2 months later...

I made the mistake of starting a new world the day AFTER the TLC pass :( They are so cool but really hard to tame now because they pounce when in bola range pretty much. (And I suck at using bolas) I finally tranqed one on that world, and my parasaour charged. I whistled passive, then it killed the raptor in its sleep and looked up at me, now passive. That one looked cool, and it was the only on e I could find in that area. AND it was alone >:(.

But, the pack buff is accurate, the sounds are cool, and I like the thinner face and the new skin. And I have raptors in other worlds and its fun to run around with my pack and pounce on stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I always found that raptors are just annoying and derpy and they still are just in higher quality, the mohawks look goofy and their tails are a brush. Upscale the Microraptor model, add some color and you're done lol. Or go the JP/JW non-raptor lizard route, this in-between thing looks like it's ill with a bad skin condition and now when I get pinned down from one it's just annoying as I have no respect for it, thankfully my Kapros make short work of them.

I know it's ARK and the dinosaurs aren't supposed to be realistic, and I like the added flare I mean even the humans are superhuman and far too buff, it's how ARK is. But these raptors are just too far from what they should be, it's like giving the Rex wings level of different.

On 2/20/2018 at 5:58 AM, TheDonn said:

@Jen

Model looks good!  The bigger feathers and narrower snout definitely make it look more distinct and fierce.

BUT:  It feels like too many creatures are getting homogenized abilities.  Keep 'em unique!  Pack buffs aren't necessary for every pack-roaming dino, the terror birds don't need them, and neither do the raptors.  I'll explain why I think so specifically regarding the raptor.

The dmg/resist buff from the roar boost will slightly increase their usability for low level players sure!  But mostly it will make them a more lethal dino to lowbies while not contributing much to tamed raptor packs, seeing as how fast raptor tames are outclassed by the other bulkier tames.  So instead of being able to tame raptors at a low level, use them, and then move on to Carnos or high level Herbivores, they will just ground-pound you as a lowbie or a group will roar-buff and eat you and your tames.  The threat of the pack boost pushes the raptor further out, narrowing the already slim level range they are useful even further.  I just feel like the dmg/resist howl will contribute more negatively to the game than it will positively.

The ground-pound pindown thing is great!  The movement speed boost to a pack is also awesome!  The model looks soo good!  But I think the roar-boost should increase the movement speed only of the pack (kinda like a Raptor Overdrive mode!) and have a movement speed effect that is active 15 out of every 30 seconds, instead of 45.

But I think more consideration should be given to the actual space the Raptor occupies in the ARK.  They are abandoned very early on, and go back to their life of eating people's low level tamed parasaurs, phiomias, low level trikes/stegos, and actual low level survivors.  I don't think the lack of better HP (I assume this is intentional to relegate their usefulness to starting levels) can be offset by the howl pack boost past ~lvl 45.  Hopefully this gets read before it is buried in another random thread after a thread-merge.

Did nobody watch Jurassic Park, Raptors or well known to be pack hunters so i believe they should have a pack boost. 

Archived