Community Crunch 119 & Raptor TLC!

Jen

11 hours ago, Wolf Angelus said:

I am curious if my stuff isn't being looked at because I have to do slideshows now as my CPU is worn out. I don't find any logical explanation why else a pixel art heart would get runner up rather than a fully functional design considering the shaping and theme were identical.

7 hours ago, GP said:

For the love of the Crunch stop complaining every single time you don't win something. You still won $150 in this Crunch and yet you still have the selfish nerve to pick apart someone elses entry in this Crunch. You have absolutely no respect for anyone else that enters this competition.

I won absolutely nothing in this Crunch, although I entered 6 pieces, yet do you see me complaining that I didn't win, or pointing fingers at other people's entries that did win just because it's similar to mine? No. That's because i'm not a selfish competitor.

P.S. The amount of thousands you've won could easily buy you a few CPU's or more. Also Valoue's box of chocolates is a very original design, more so than yet another building design.

Personally, I think these awards should be based on sportsmanship as well as quality. Yes Wolf you have done some absolutely amazing builds, so much amazingness that I couldn't wait to see what you would do again. But, be that as it may, I have followed this crunch for over two years now and seen you win more than 80% of them. The other 20% that you have loss, you have always complained about your loss.  I have seen nice people offer you advice when you question your loss and yet I have never seen you follow said advice.
I cannot stand to watch your videos. You always put in a lot of instructions on how to watch them and then I have to read your signs cause you cant speak (which is fine, you don't have to share your voice or maybe you can't, nothing wrong with that) But you could make subtitles or title screens or use a computer generated voice, anything else really. There is not enough time to read your signs and I'm sorry pausing and unpausing just gets old. Then comes the horrible frames and lag in your videos...it just makes me get a headache.

I think GP had it right, you could easily get repairs with your winnings. I happen to know for a fact people have offered new parts to you as well. But your pure arrogance and self entitlement in thinking you are the literal best ARK builder ever and declining all help, well I have been looking forward to the new talent here. It is a poor choice on your part to rely on these winning solely to pay your bills. The devs are not responsible for giving you a win just because you need to live off this money. Sorry mate.
-Zee

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, skellri said:

i really adore the raptor's updated look! sad that so many people are complaining about lack of a fully feathered raptor tbh. i always get so tired of this argument of feathers vs no feathers emoji19.png beautiful work to the artists behind these TLC updates!

For me it's how much I love the actual real raptor look, and how outright goofy these naked ones seem to me. I will live with what WC gives us, but tht doesn't mean I love each and every dino they push out equally.

The other thing that causes me to nitpick is my love of realism and immersion. Again the naked Raptors break both for me. I'd laugh at them, but they tear m low level character to shreds.

I was pleasantly surprised by the new raptor model, but one thing bothers me. The arm feathers feel too unnatural + they shouldn't just stop at the elbow (It has a very unfinished feel to it). However, the overall look gives me a nostalgic feeling, reminding me of the Fossil Fighters raptors (for some reason) which is why I only have the one visual complaint :) 

I know WildCard wants to have an iconic half scaly half feathery Raptor
but it just looks goofy and unnatural to look at, it looks as if it's a native american chieftain where its feathers were just attached to its body.
I saw something that might interest some of you, it's more natural looking
where the feathers seamlessly flows through its body 
but still retains some of its scaly features as well
here have a look
https://imgur.com/gallery/jLMsf9P
https://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/turkeys-are-attackiiing-rapturkeys-314984859
Agreed on how it does look odd..... The half scaly part is what's important to keep but more feathers more natural would be better. I love the new face though. This really is a great image! I like it. I vote do it more like this guy suggests.

The Phoenix needs to be redone. The abilities are great, but the model animations and mechanics for it are a little dumb. Especially since it's such a difficult tame and yields little reward. The model is a little funky looking, but not too bad. It would be nice if it looked more like the dossier, but I might be dreaming on that one. Along with the animations looking a little strange especially the space bar ability. Originally it was talked about a heat resistant saddle or hazard armor that needed to be worn in order to ride it. This would make more sense and would make it a more difficult mount to use. (High cost high reward.)  Along with the fact sitting on a flaming bird without burning or overheating making no sense at all. The dumbest mechanic about the creature is the fact it can't land. I don't know if wildcard was trying to hinder the creature, but it makes no sense as in the dossier it's landed. There's little point to making the creature unable to land. The smelting and cooking idea is an amazing idea it is just simply not execute well. This is due to the fact it acts as a forge, but simply can't be used as one due to it's abysmal weight stat.  Truly with it's flame attacks and forge ability it should be a top tier creature, yet I have never seen anyone take the time to tame it for more than novelty. 

17 hours ago, Bowen42997 said:

Finally change the name to Apatosaurus, their both the same creature. It was thought that the Bronto and Apato were two separate animals, but was discovered that there was a mix up with the fossils.

Not true. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-brontosaurus-is-back1/

I would like them to be bigger a little bigger and longer and have much more health, weight and stamina for example 740 of health, 600 of weight, stamina and oxygen 720 and 42 of damage and the speed of attack must be a little slower and its speed would increase it by 5% since this is a utahraptor (LEVEL 1) that measures more than 7 meters long and supposedly more than 500kg and less than 1 ton (for my 750kg weight) comparable to a polar bear real in size so my ideas are so farfetched and to balencear so montuar would be created in the smithy and with 24 metal 48 keratin / chitin 97 hide and 89 fiber. unlockable at level 29
in ability, I would have as passive:
with these feathers on the head, arms and tail could fall with more smoothness and precision without breaking the legs and when this is in the bushes high pastures and when there is little visibility such as sandstorms and storms, terremostos rains of snow this crouch and could not be easily detected
and other abilities with the right click this attack with bites and claws with a probability of 7% cause a bleed and if you keep it pressed the button of a kick, the left click that acive the retractable claws when you kick the probality of bleeding it will be 81% and you will be able to drill the armor, with the activated claws would be slower, you could climb a higher angle, slow down faster and if you jump with the activated claws you can climb trees and large rocks and walls (these only with jumps to climb and to the sides to desender is not necessary)
 and the c key would be for the vocalization to call the group (as it is on the page)
and that ability to point and fall on the medium, small and human creatures paralyze them with the claws and cause 2.4 times more damage and in large creatures if you do not knock them down you stay stuck in your sides causing the same damage but without suffering any damage last 6 seconds
 I mean the utaraptor (I want the common name to be utahraptor not raptor) to be a medium-sized predator for early and experienced assault survivors and such a powerful group to kill two wolves, a dinosaur designed to kill creatures very quickly and con fi rmed by kill and easy to tame and neutralize

As I noted on the thread on Reddit, the updated model comes off as a little uncanny. It's not combing the feathery and scaly portions, it's how abrupt the switch between them is. I think something like the Megalosaurus covering might suit it, where you have a little feathering spreading out to the sides from the back creating a feeling of transition, might go a long ways to making the model feel organic. Likewise, sending the arm feathering a little further up the arm to taper off as in the original model would help as well. "Abruptness" is the main issue with the TLC model I think. 

Edited by Eldar Seer

19 hours ago, Bowen42997 said:

Top 5 creatures TLC I want:

#5 Hyaenodon: I want it to look like the original model before they changed it to a modern day Hyena. 

#4 Brontosaurus: They should reduces the size by 25%, change the head and skin texture. Finally change the name to Apatosaurus, their both the same creature. It was thought that the Bronto and Apato were two separate animals, but was discovered that there was a mix up with the fossils.

#3 Titanoboa: Increase the size by 25%-50%, remove the frill. Have a constricting attack like modern day Boas, Pythons and Anacondas.

#2 Pachyrhinosaurus: Change the head to look more like the real thing. Increased size by 50%.

#1 Triceratops: Change the Head to look  more like the JP triceratops. Increased size by 50%.

5) Have you ever seen a hyena?

4) Source?

3) I agree with all except removing the frill

4) Its not supposed to be real

1) Again, that's silly. Considering its a styracasaur trike hybrid

6 hours ago, PikaSaurus said:

5) Have you ever seen a hyena?

4) Source?

3) I agree with all except removing the frill

4) Its not supposed to be real

1) Again, that's silly. Considering its a styracasaur trike hybrid

5.) Well Hyenadons aren't the same animals as modern Hyenas. Different group of animals, actually.

4.) The whole Bronto-Apato thing is a well-known fact, although recently Brontosaurus has been reclassified as a valid genus yet again as of two years ago or so. Which is great because "Thunder Lizard" is a cool as Hell name

3.) Frill is dumb and superfluous. Adds nothing to the design. Might as well scrap it. Honestly the whole species should just have been made up as "titanoviper" since boas are constrictors and not, you know, venomous :.

2.) I don't see them remodeling the Pachy all so soon but yeah, a head truer to the real thing would be cool. The real life Pachyrhinosaurus has a badass looking.

And is them remodeling a Trike any sillier than the current one being a Styracosaur hybrid? Scrap the Styracosaur elements and add Styracosaurus into the game. More ceratopsians the better!  

On the topic of the raptor. It looks REALLY good aside from those feathers on the arms and broken wrists. I really, highly encourage the devs to fix the broken wrist syndrome so many theropods suffer from and either ditch the feathers altogether and add quills as someone suggested, or add more feathers and give them fully feathered-out wings as raptors are known to have. It would really make ARK raptors stand out compared to the hordes of generic raptors we see in so many various dinosaur games. 

On 20-2-2018 at 8:29 AM, GP said:

For the love of the Crunch stop complaining every single time you don't win something. You still won $150 in this Crunch and yet you still have the selfish nerve to pick apart someone elses entry in this Crunch. You have absolutely no respect for anyone else that enters this competition.

I won absolutely nothing in this Crunch, although I entered 6 pieces, yet do you see me complaining that I didn't win, or pointing fingers at other people's entries that did win just because it's similar to mine? No. That's because i'm not a selfish competitor.

P.S. The amount of thousands you've won could easily buy you a few CPU's or more. Also Valoue's box of chocolates is a very original design, more so than yet another building design.

Why the devs still sponsor him is beyond me, so many people I know have stopped entering all together because of this guy. Now he is entering under two names as to avoid people complaining that the same people keep winning.

I seriously do not even mind others winning week on week as they seem gratefulll and complimentary to others.

Kick him out or stop him from entering or at least forbi him from entering from two accounts.

The older raptor actually looked cooler, but I do really love the new functionality changes.  Raptors being changed into turkeys is based on highly speculative theorizing of another animal entirely that researchers say we would have been unable to distinguish from a vulture or wild turkey.  These bozos just use their imagination and call it ‘science’ in the name of getting more funding.  

1 hour ago, PneumaPilot said:

The older raptor actually looked cooler, but I do really love the new functionality changes.  Raptors being changed into turkeys is based on highly speculative theorizing of another animal entirely that researchers say we would have been unable to distinguish from a vulture or wild turkey.  These bozos just use their imagination and call it ‘science’ in the name of getting more funding.  

It's not "highly speculative theorizing", we have scientific proof of feathered dinosaurs, especially in the raptor lineages. Heck, at one point some sceintists thought raptors to be secondarily flightless birds, though they were in minority. We have a fossil record of feathered dinosaurs, and even a feathered dinosaur tail in amber. We have such detailed feather fossils, that we actually know what color Microraptors, and a few other dinos, were.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eldar Seer said:

As I noted on the thread on Reddit, the updated model comes off as a little uncanny. It's not combing the feathery and scaly portions, it's how abrupt the switch between them is. I think something like the Megalosaurus covering might suit it, where you have a little feathering spreading out to the sides from the back creating a feeling of transition, might go a long ways to making the model feel organic. Likewise, sending the arm feathering a little further up the arm to taper off as in the original model would help as well. "Abruptness" is the main issue with the TLC model I think. 

We definitely share the same general sentiment about the TLC raptor. On page 2 of this thread I made a comment that was coming onto the same points you were making, if in different words & examples. 

I really don't like how flimsy the Arms have become, look at the part before the hands, it looks a lot thinner compared to the old model. The way the feathers are connected is also quite bad, they no longer go around the elbow, probably due to the upper arm being shorter too. It also look more chubby, I don't really like it at the moment.