Thinking of buying game...

nukadaboss

Guest DJRone89
35 minutes ago, nukadaboss said:

Thinking of buying the game...convince me!

1) its for ps4... is online better then offline?

2) how long can u play it for? (til u get bored).. how long of a stretch

3) My girlfriend likes gaming... would she like this game?

4) we have 2 ps4's... can we play together?

1) Depends on preference. If you like social interaction then yes but you have many options to choose from.

2) If you play officials, unless you are in a reasonable sized tribe, you’re forced to play consistently or risk losing everything to auto decay.

3) More than likely, yes.

4) You have many options to choose from.

47 minutes ago, nukadaboss said:

1) Depends what you like more.

2) If you like this kind of games, pretty much forever. My main account is over 3600 hours and i am still not bored.

3) She will absolutly hate it, and she will break up with you because you made her play it. No seriously, how should strangers on a forum know what your girl friend likes or dislikes?

4) Yes

47 minutes ago, nukadaboss said:

If you cherish your relationship and your healthy mental state I'd not advise to buy this game. Only if you are planning to play together offline on a private server than I'd say maybe, but there is no fun in that. 

The core of the game is awesome, The idea of the game is awesome, but unfortunatly its made very hard to play on official servers (due to the owners/devs of the game). Long story short I'd only advise it if you don't plan on playing on official. If you check steam rating for this game its ~ recommended. 

1 hour ago, nukadaboss said:

how do i play on unofficial servers? 

im so tempted to buy... haha

whats the most popular ones?

You can browse the server list in the game.

On this forum, there are server advertisement subforums for every platform. You can read about the servers and try out a few before you decide on one. Don't know about consoles, but the PC unofficial "market" is actually over saturated with servers, pretty easy to find good ones.

5 hours ago, nukadaboss said:

1, online is much better than offline

2,you can get thousands of hours out of it and not be bored 

3. Girls love this game, I know lots of girls that play thousands of hours on ark 

4.yeah you can both play online together and be in a tribe 

thanks [emoji4]
(Xbox player, but I'm sure not much difference between the console versions)

1. Offline is great, but tethering is awfully no fun. You guys can't be out of sight of each other basically. Online is imo better rather it be offical or unofficials both have thier ups and downs.

2. When you first start you'll play it day in and day out.. till you get to the point where you need bigger better things than just a few low level Dino's and wood house. Then the grind kicks in. The grind can be fun, but it's a grind none the less. (Speaking of offical, unofficial servers can make the grind less grindy)

3. I have yet to meet a girl who didn't like all the cute pretty Dino's and things you can get in the game. Breeding Dino's letting them hatch out the eggs and see what cute little Dino's come out is normally a instant sell. Now, rather or not they like the grind for meat to raise the baby... That's a different story lol.

4. Ofcourse!

Convince you: this game has it's faults. It's not perfect in any way, and learning how to play can be a pain. (You'll most like spend your first week dying every 20 mins, getting your first tames killed and losing alot of stuff. Get past the "ok I shouldn't do that anymore" lessons and it'll be amazing from there) once you've learned how to survive the game, well my wife and I have basically spent our gaming time on this one game for the past two years it's been out on Xbox. (Or however long its been)

As a man with a girlfriend, I think the best way to describe it to you is:

This game is like a fine women.
It will make you fall in love with everything about it.
Then it will break you.
Torture you.
Make you want it even more.
Take everything you have.
Give you just enough to keep going.
And just when you think you've had enough, it pulls you right back in and makes you fall in love all over again.

It's a great game!

7 hours ago, nukadaboss said:

If you buy it, get ready for the single life brother!

7 hours ago, nukadaboss said:

1) Depends. Generally, you want to talk four server types: Official, Player Dedicated, Non Dedicated, and Singleplayer. In my experience, Player Dedicated and Non-Dedicated are the best modes to play. I'll touch back on this a bit more in Question 4, but starting off, I'd generally recommend a non-dedicated with some good friends who play the game. Official servers account for like... 2/3 of the problems in the game at least, if not more, so if you can steer clear of those you'll have a much better experience
2) I have around 2200 hours total, and I'm still playing. Having people to play with helps a lot. I'd say that you can probably expect to churn out at least 200 to 300 hours, if you're average
3) I don't know, because I don't know what she likes! If she's into open-world, sandbox survival games, then yes, she will most likely like this game.
4) Yes. This is where I recommend using a Non-Dedicated server. You can host and play from one console, and she can play on the other. She'll be tethered to you (i.e. she can just wander all the way across the map, limited to ~250 meters), but seeing as you two would probably be playing together most of the time anyway, I don't think you'd find it to be an issue.

Just a few other recommendations. If you choose to play from a Non-Dedicated server, I'd recommend turning up your rates (i.e. Tame Speed, Harvest Amount, etc) some to facilitate gameplay. On Official rates (the default), you really have to invest a lot of time to progress, which if that's what you're looking for then no issue, but at least personally, I find that I like things to be more-moderately paced. Secondly, try to play the game without any guides for a while first. You'll eventually get to using the guides, which I find to make it more monotonous because it removes the sense of discovery and mystery, but at least give yourself the opportunity. Finally, ARK happens. This game does still have issues, and occasionally, they'll bite you in the butt. It's life, just work around it, I've found that just rolling with the punches when they come and not sweating it makes the game infinitely more enjoyable.

1) online but NOT officials as they are full of griefing and trolls 

2) Infinitely at least for me

3)I am forever alone so IDK

4)yes definitely (even on the same console you can

5) a quote so you can see this:

9 hours ago, nukadaboss said:

I would say if you insist on playing this game wait until it goes on a pretty big sale, which is fairly frequently anyways. 

What types of games do you and your girl usually enjoy? That's the easiest way for others to guess if y'all might like this or not.

I'll say this though, in my opinion there are better survival hybrid games out there. They jus't don't have dinosaurs. (yet)

10 hours ago, ZeroSeconds said:

If you cherish your relationship and your healthy mental state I'd not advise to buy this game. Only if you are planning to play together offline on a private server than I'd say maybe, but there is no fun in that. 

The core of the game is awesome, The idea of the game is awesome, but unfortunatly its made very hard to play on official servers (due to the owners/devs of the game). Long story short I'd only advise it if you don't plan on playing on official. If you check steam rating for this game its ~ recommended. 

HEM HEM? EXCUSE ME?

Okay yes officials are ridden with trolls. But mental state? *stares*

Offline has its perks but with friends or a  decent unofficial server it makes the game that much richer. I love seeing bartering in action and folks of a tribe or maybe a friendly tribe helping out one another reach goals they couldn't on their own. You could play the game as it is or you could join a roleplaying server make it however you wish.

I could go on for  hours playing this game but lets be realistic you should play about a hours worth and take some time to move around and remember to eat. I've been sucked into this game before when working on several different projects at once and forgot to eat for most of the day. I don't do it anymore thanks to timers.

Depends on her tastes. I for one love the hunt and some just like to build which is fun too! Also, there is a creative mode coming up which could open up the possibility of different types of scenarios players could use in a map without the restriction of harvesting mats to make it happen. Like a giant race track around The Island and so on.

I don't know much about the ps4 but I imagine you could either host it on a local area network or set up a private session that only you or her knows the name of the server and the password to keep out undesirables.

Be careful once you visit the Ark you won't want to leave lol I'm not a typical gamer in fact never been much of one besides a COD here and there but you can only play that for so long. This game is literally endless, you can stay up until 4am taming, farming, or simply trying to get your stuff back from a school of hungry piranhas. I'm pretty sure it's one of the only newer games with splitscreen too for single player mode with the gf

1) its for ps4... is online better then offline? personally i haven't tried online yet because i'm too shy, which shows how good of a singleplayer game it is. the devs update it frequently and add really cool new stuff.

2) how long can u play it for? (til u get bored).. how long of a stretch? i've found myself playing it a lot, i've been playing it for a year and a half and still playing single player. the only thing is it is very hard to start off with, don't give up!

3) My girlfriend likes gaming... would she like this game? i'm a girl, but it depends on the kinds of games she likes. but most likely yes

4) we have 2 ps4's... can we play together? yes, but you will need playstation + to host a private server, if not you two can go on to an official server together

On 19/02/2018 at 6:56 AM, nukadaboss said:

I would strongly invite you to check some of the videos of a normal PS4 and the graphics of the game.

Usually console games are optimized for consoles, ARK is not this type of the game. PS4 Pro may give better results but the game is still SUB-PAR on PS4, just slightly better on XBOX.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest DJRone89
19 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

I would strongly invite you to check some of the videos of a normal PS4 and the graphics of the game.

Usually console games are optimized for consoles, ARK is not this type of the game. PS4 Pro may give better results but the game is still SUB-PAR on PS4, just slightly better on XBOX.

Just my 2 cents.

A big issue in regards to what you said is the lack of memory for both the standard PS4 and Xbox One, leaving origami dinos and structures in play for extended periods of time.

However, I turned off high detail mode on my X1X because I prefer the increased frame rate.

Guest DJRone89
8 minutes ago, onedudesmind said:

The game is broken on ps4 it barely runs, i have a PSPro and average about 5- 10 fps (when i'm lucky) moving anywhere even on slow dinos. If your playing single player only its fine. Multiplayer is runs really really badly. Setting change nothing performance wise for me .

You’re only describing official servers. The hardware just can’t handle it effectively.

All unofficials get lag, but not on the same scale. It’s so infrequent in comparison, that you forget about it.

2 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

You’re only describing official servers. The hardware just can’t handle it effectively.

All unofficials get lag, but not on the same scale. It’s so infrequent in comparison, that you forget about it.

Unofficials run just as badly when playing or moving past buildings, unless of course you on a server with 10 people and those 10 people don't build alot.  I play the game over 100 hours (or more) a month, I have owned my own private server.  On the ps4 unless you play the game in single player, or on an unofficial with a very low pop your going to run into what i talked about. Its not a bad game (thats what makes it so frustrating) but it is very unoptimized and barely runs on the consoles.

Guest DJRone89
4 minutes ago, onedudesmind said:

Unofficials run just as badly when playing or moving past buildings, unless of course you on a server with 10 people and those 10 people don't build alot.  I play the game over 100 hours (or more) a month, I have owned my own private server.  On the ps4 unless you play the game in single player, or on an unofficial with a very low pop your going to run into what i talked about. Its not a bad game (thats what makes it so frustrating) but it is very unoptimized and barely runs on the consoles.

Console player dedicated servers suck but PC unofficials don’t.

Archived