Building Advice Needed

GenTech1000

Hello people of the Ark forums, I am I need of advice. I am a proud builder in Ark, maybe even an Arkitect! Bad pun? Okay, to business. I am looking to improve my building skills with the tips and tricks YOU provide. (Please note that I know how to use the building system pretty well and that I am looking for any tips. Mods like S+ and Castles and Keeps are some mods I would like to work with. My standard architectural choice are modern and minimalist, however, I would like to delve into other architectural styles. Tips with furnishing using vanilla items would be greatly appreciated. Please provide pictures or video links if possible. ) thank you and happy Arking!

17 hours ago, OrisRas said:

try the eco mods adds a HUGE new book on what you can create

I am familiar with the eco mods and I love the items they implement. I especially like the mounts due to them making a wood house into a hunters cabin. However, I am looking more specifically for BUILDING tricks and how to use DECOR better. Can you give me any of those?

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Just something else... Prepare to expand... Your initial floorplan will NEVER be your final floor plan.

Snap everything together. If you don't you end up with trouble later on.

Build in wood/thatch first, then upgrade to stone/metal.

I like GGFizz, Aaron Longstaff and occasionally Syntac for YT building videos. I'd say I've learned the most from Fizz in regards to actual techniques which I've ended up implementing in my own builds.

My advice for anything with pillars, don't ever place your first set of pillars where you want the final ones to be because direct replacement of pillars is tricky and rarely works correctly. You can accidentally end up demoing a significant part of your build if you're not careful. I always offset mine and lay a whole new set of pillars, then demo the old ones. I also only do this because I hate "pillar nipples", if you don't care about it that much it's not an issue really.

S+ is not the miracle fix you might think it is. It does vastly improve the building system, but I find it has frustrations of its own. I usually end up using a mix of S+ and vanilla structures when I can't get the S+ to do something the way I want it to due to the variances in snapping. Luckily you can convert pieces to S+ or vanilla and the demo gun works on vanilla to handle any misplacements or changes in layout.

15 hours ago, Cymas said:

I like GGFizz, Aaron Longstaff and occasionally Syntac for YT building videos. I'd say I've learned the most from Fizz in regards to actual techniques which I've ended up implementing in my own builds.

My advice for anything with pillars, don't ever place your first set of pillars where you want the final ones to be because direct replacement of pillars is tricky and rarely works correctly. You can accidentally end up demoing a significant part of your build if you're not careful. I always offset mine and lay a whole new set of pillars, then demo the old ones. I also only do this because I hate "pillar nipples", if you don't care about it that much it's not an issue really.

S+ is not the miracle fix you might think it is. It does vastly improve the building system, but I find it has frustrations of its own. I usually end up using a mix of S+ and vanilla structures when I can't get the S+ to do something the way I want it to due to the variances in snapping. Luckily you can convert pieces to S+ or vanilla and the demo gun works on vanilla to handle any misplacements or changes in layout.

Thanks! I have heard of fizz and watched some of his videos, but I will look into each of these YouTubers. 

22 hours ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Just something else... Prepare to expand... Your initial floorplan will NEVER be your final floor plan.

Snap everything together. If you don't you end up with trouble later on.

Build in wood/thatch first, then upgrade to stone/metal.

Thanks for the advice, however, I know of this technique. S+ also makes it not as necessary to do, but again, thanks!

Archived