Question about mutations

bribleck

Say both of a Dino’s parents have 20 levels in melee. The offspring has 22 levels, so it got two bonus levels in melee through a mutation. Suppose the child mates with a Dino that has 30 melee. Can their offspring get the 30 melee plus the old mutation for 32? Or is the mutation automatically incorporated into the stat as if the stat was always 22?  And it would have to inherit the 30 and get a new mutation to reach 32?

58 minutes ago, bribleck said:

Say both of a Dino’s parents have 20 levels in melee. The offspring has 22 levels, so it got two bonus levels in melee through a mutation. Suppose the child mates with a Dino that has 30 melee. Can their offspring get the 30 melee plus the old mutation for 32? Or is the mutation automatically incorporated into the stat as if the stat was always 22?  And it would have to inherit the 30 and get a new mutation to reach 32?

It incorporates the stat, so it won't be in addition to the new higher stat. So it would need an additional mutation to reach 32 in your given example, but the first mutation will still count towards the tracker. 

Yes. If you are breeding for really high stats you will want to first combine all the highest stats you have into one male and at least one female without any mutation points on them and then start to breed for mutations. That way you remove/reduce the risk of getting a mutation on a worthless "lower" stat.

Also if you are playing the (very very) long game of mutations: Breed your unmuated base pair together till you get a mutation in one stat. Now to prevent the mutation-counter to rise exponentially you need to breed the mutated one with the unmutated base of the opposite sex. This means from this point on you only keep offspring with the mutated stat and let go of those with the stats of the base-dino since it will have 1 mutation-counter with 0 stat-increase.

11 minutes ago, Campi said:

Also if you are playing the (very very) long game of mutations: Breed your unmuated base pair together till you get a mutation in one stat. Now to prevent the mutation-counter to rise exponentially you need to breed the mutated one with the unmutated base of the opposite sex. This means from this point on you only keep offspring with the mutated stat and let go of those with the stats of the base-dino since it will have 1 mutation-counter with 0 stat-increase.

You raptoring what... You got me hella confused

3 hours ago, Campi said:

Yes. If you are breeding for really high stats you will want to first combine all the highest stats you have into one male and at least one female without any mutation points on them and then start to breed for mutations. That way you remove/reduce the risk of getting a mutation on a worthless "lower" stat.

I believe what he means, is if you get a mutation on your stat, and try to breed it with another one of the babies that got the same mutation, that instead of being 0-20 / 1-20, you'll be 1-20/1-20 for mutations, having a 2nd mutation counter going for no mutation gained, because parents on both sides will have the same mutation, and both pass it on to their baby.

I always assumed the mutation of a stat stayed with the stat it mutated. My most recent example was a mutation in a lower melee of some therizinos. I was in the process of putting all my best stats from 7 different therizinos together and of course there is bound to be some mutations. For the record, I breed my mutated dinos with the unmuted to exploit the /20 the best way possible. So when I had 408 (2/20) melee and a 396 (3/20) melee from an unmutated Base of 384 I thought to test the theory that the melee mutation can be moved from a lower stat to the higher one. What better way to test it than at the beginning of breeding a bloodline. If that makes sense? So instead I wanted to see if I could get 420 (5/20) melee and so I mated the stats together. Maybe I didn't test it fully, maybe I did but I never did get the 420 (5/20). My friend is adamant it is possible however. In the end, because of the type of breeder I am I wouldn't want to waste that 5th and 4th empty mutation. Would rather get another melee mutation and have 420 (3/20). And it won't ever be a case of mating a 396 (1/20) with a 408 (2/20) because there is always a parents with the 408 mutation being bred. 

Mutation-counter and stats are not bound together. Have a look here:

When a stat mutates the increased points become the "base" of that dinosaur and his mutations counter gets increased by one. The children of 2 parents get a mutation counter of "Counter Parent1 + Counter Parent2 + Count of New Mutations (0, 1 or 2))" always. This counter is not affected by which stat from the parents got to the child.

Lets say you have a male with a mutated meele of +2 and a counter of 1 and a female with a mutated hp of +2 and a counter of 1.

If no new mutation happens you can have:

* A Child with mutation counter of 2 and the males mutated meele and the females mutated hp (2 mutated stats)

* A Child with mutation counter of 2 and the males mutated meele and the males unmutated hp (1 mutated stat)

* A Child with mutation counter of 2 and the females unmutated meele and the females mutated hp (1 mutated stat)

* A Child with mutation counter of 2 and the females unmutated meele and the males unmutated hp (no mutated stat)

So regardless of the outcome it will always have a mutation counter of 2 since each of the parents came with a counter of 1.

Also if you have a Male with 30+6 points in meele (3 mutations) and a female with 20+6 points in meele the child can only be eighter 36 or 26 without a new mutation (or 38 / 28 if a new mutation happens).

PS: If you breed a 20/20 male with a 0/20 female you can get a new mutation even on the males stats but at a halfed propability since only one of the 2 sides can give a new mutation in that case.

Archived