Who else remembers?

WolfBrink

Back in the day 2 years ago or so when I was playing on Xbox (not sure if it was the same on other platforms, I play ps4 now) getting into a server took literally an hour IRL. Every server was at 70/70 players and you had to sit there spamming the join button, occasionally the player count would shoot up to like 78/70 and you would just sit there refreshing the page waiting for it to dwindle down... I'm so happy it's not like that anymore lol

Lol was the same at official release, was same for centre release and aberation and scorched release, new maps and servers mean more players go there to try and get established early. The player count drops as people get wiped and quit when they realise they will never be alpha, or the hype dies do win and they go back to their island server, because no matter what the other maps offer island is always the best some how. 

who remembers back in the day when you could tame dino's and there wasn't the annoying server tame cap that ruined PVE server events like the current Valentines event, can't tame dinos, so can't get the valentines colours, and can't breed dinos cause i don't have any to begin with, and the tame cap is preventing me from taming!!

aah the good old days

On 2/19/2018 at 7:11 AM, Smuggler said:

who remembers back in the day when you could tame dino's and there wasn't the annoying server tame cap that ruined PVE server events like the current Valentines event, can't tame dinos, so can't get the valentines colours, and can't breed dinos cause i don't have any to begin with, and the tame cap is preventing me from taming!!

aah the good old days

back in the day when there wasnt a tame cap limit the game had more lag and everyone was screaming for optimization, well the game got "optimized". so be careful what you ask for

Guest DJRone89
On 19/02/2018 at 3:11 PM, Smuggler said:

aah the good old days

Servers have always had hard caps as the hardware can only handle so much.

What you mean, is before servers reached that cap.

I’m betting that the same servers with tame cap, lag a lot due to the game trying to track all of those dinos, especially platformed dinos w/structures and rafts.

6 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Servers have always had hard caps as the hardware can only handle so much.

What you mean, is before servers reached that cap.

I’m betting that the same servers with tame cap, lag a lot due to the game trying to track all of those dinos, especially platformed dinos w/structures and rafts.

Maybe there has always been a tame cap, but I've been playing since early 2015, and I remember some of the players had huge bases with tons of dinos, and we never had tame capped servers, perhaps people are just more prolific now taming and breeding than before, but it hasn't been a problem since day 1, and I've only recently come back to ARK after having a break, so it feels worse now, also as for "track all those dinos" as far as I am aware 9and I may be wrong) but I believe the servers don't track them unless someone is near enough to load the areas that the dinos are in, so unless someone is close enough to load the dinos, then it doesn't care about them, this can be felt when you get close enough to a mega base full of dinos, suddenly the client starts lagging, or if someone logs on into a mega base, the effects can suddenly be felt be other users of that server. but, as I said I may be wrong about that

4 hours ago, Smuggler said:

Maybe there has always been a tame cap, but I've been playing since early 2015, and I remember some of the players had huge bases with tons of dinos, and we never had tame capped servers, perhaps people are just more prolific now taming and breeding than before, but it hasn't been a problem since day 1, and I've only recently come back to ARK after having a break, so it feels worse now, also as for "track all those dinos" as far as I am aware 9and I may be wrong) but I believe the servers don't track them unless someone is near enough to load the areas that the dinos are in, so unless someone is close enough to load the dinos, then it doesn't care about them, this can be felt when you get close enough to a mega base full of dinos, suddenly the client starts lagging, or if someone logs on into a mega base, the effects can suddenly be felt be other users of that server. but, as I said I may be wrong about that

that's because back then, on xbox anyway, TRIBES had a 120 tame cap.  Alliances didn't exist so you didn't have an alt in an allied tribe storing additional 120 dinos.  Breeding also offered no benefit other than giving you another dino or combining tamed dino stats since imprinting and mutations did not exist.  Thus, a tamed dino could very well be better or as good as any of your bred dinos.  People still bred tons of SPECIFIC tames, namely war tames like brontos, paracers, turtles, argies and pteras... but you didn't have tribes breeding hundreds of dinos for colors or mutations.

Also, until water/air breeding, stasis breeding and glitch meat/berries were widely used, you didn't have tribes breeding 100 gigas at the same time.

Archived