Question about Kentros

Cowgirl

So I know they have that thorn reaction or whatever where when something attacks them the attacker also gets hurt. I was wondering if the injuries the attacker gets is dependent  on only the kentros mele, only the attackers mele, or both? (if 2 raptors attacked them and one had 130 mele and the other had 321 would the one with more mele get more damage?)

40 minutes ago, Demigod said:

is there a cap as to how much can be reflected? because using high level rexes on kentros doesn’t seem to put a dent in the rexes’ health.

I'm pretty sure that's because Rex's strength is more stacked on the health side than the damage side. Kentros are more of a counter against glass cannon dinos.

2 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

I'm pretty sure that's because Rex's strength is more stacked on the health side than the damage side. Kentros are more of a counter against glass cannon dinos.

thing is, my rex is biting 750 damage. yeah it has a lot of health, but the max amount of reflected damage i’ve ever seen is 300 or somewhere around that. maybe it’s because of the saddle?

55 minutes ago, Demigod said:

thing is, my rex is biting 750 damage. yeah it has a lot of health, but the max amount of reflected damage i’ve ever seen is 300 or somewhere around that. maybe it’s because of the saddle?

Sounds about right. I don't remember the exact amount that gets reflected, but I know that it's not 100%.

6 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

So does the Kentros mele have any affect on hit back, or just the attackers?

i don’t think melee affects the rebound damage, but i could be wrong. melee will indeed affect the damage of the tail swing and impalement, but the rebound is determined by attacker’s melee.

would be cool if the kentro was updated to where the hard cap of how much damage it could reflect was based on its melee; otherwise they are only good for being stacked in health as to deliver as many rebounds as possible before dying.

since kentros are herbivores, does that mean they are technically viable for the dragon boss? if bred and imprinted, i could imagine that using kentros as soakers wouldn’t be a bad idea. like, have them in the front lines taking direct damage and eating veggie cakes while you ride around on equus with shotguns or rifles. 

personally i’ve never done a boss battle so i couldn’t tell you if that would work or not, but it sounds nice in theory. i hear people often say that the dragon will quickly switch up aggro to different tames so i don’t know. 

20 minutes ago, Demigod said:

i don’t think melee affects the rebound damage, but i could be wrong. melee will indeed affect the damage of the tail swing and impalement, but the rebound is determined by attacker’s melee.

would be cool if the kentro was updated to where the hard cap of how much damage it could reflect was based on its melee; otherwise they are only good for being stacked in health as to deliver as many rebounds as possible before dying.

since kentros are herbivores, does that mean they are technically viable for the dragon boss? if bred and imprinted, i could imagine that using kentros as soakers wouldn’t be a bad idea. like, have them in the front lines taking direct damage and eating veggie cakes while you ride around on equus with shotguns or rifles. 

personally i’ve never done a boss battle so i couldn’t tell you if that would work or not, but it sounds nice in theory. i hear people often say that the dragon will quickly switch up aggro to different tames so i don’t know. 

Ah ok, thanks! As for use in boss battles I really have no idea. I have only ever done the spider, with a group of friends.

i hate to resurrect this thread but rather do that than start a new thread on the topic that has already been discussed. hope OP doesn’t mind since their question was answered :) 

has anyone attempted using kentros for any of the bosses?  i would like to start breeding them but not unless there is a purpose behind it. i imagine that kentros could be used to soak damage in the front while also passively reflecting, but how would their health hold out? would they last long enough to serve as distractions or would they be useless?

the reflective damage is a good addition, but since it is hard capped at around 300 i don’t think that alone would work. can anyone post what the damage output of a fully imprinted high level kentro would be with a tail swing? just brainstorming ways that this could work.

• Volunteer Moderator
16 minutes ago, Demigod said:

i hate to resurrect this thread but rather do that than start a new thread on the topic that has already been discussed. hope OP doesn’t mind since their question was answered :) 

has anyone attempted using kentros for any of the bosses?  i would like to start breeding them but not unless there is a purpose behind it. i imagine that kentros could be used to soak damage in the front while also passively reflecting, but how would their health hold out? would they last long enough to serve as distractions or would they be useless?

the reflective damage is a good addition, but since it is hard capped at around 300 i don’t think that alone would work. can anyone post what the damage output of a fully imprinted high level kentro would be with a tail swing? just brainstorming ways that this could work.

That is a bit off-topic and shouldn't be added on even after the OP has their question answered.

There is another thread out there in the wild where that is being discussed however. 

16 minutes ago, Demigod said:

I think if it was to become a viable boss killer WC would just make the bosses immune to the reflective damage.  They tend to nerf anything that isn't rex spam.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, Lockjaw said:

Have you ever bit three Kentro's at the same time with a Giga? Because you know they never walk around in groups of two or three.

Insta Enrage, Insta Unsaddle you, Insta GIga Kills you. Always fun to have happen.

On 18/02/2018 at 3:37 AM, DarthaNyan said:

Have anybody tried to chomp a Kentro with a Giga under new rage mechanics yet?

I have and received as much as 2k damage from them without the giga enraging.

The enrage bar did go up a fair bit though so be careful not to kill 2 or 3 an once as they sometimes like to hang out in groups.

30 minutes ago, Palenor said:

Have you ever bit three Kentro's at the same time with a Giga? Because you know they never walk around in groups of two or three.

Insta Enrage, Insta Unsaddle you, Insta GIga Kills you. Always fun to have happen.

Um, ok? But yes a herd of Kentros is a hard counter against a Giga. In fact I think that's the main reason it was brought into the game: To introduce a sort of rock-paper-scissors balancing between him, the Giga, and the Rex. Because other than a Kentro encounter there's no good reason to ever use a Rex when Giga is an option.

Archived