The island and high lvl Dino's...

Grandta

Why does the island suck for high level Dino's?

I mean I got two cakes and was hoping to use them on a high rex, quetzal and didn't see any over 80.

I have a base on carno island and was killing everything in sight to try and spawn a high rex. 

After hours I gave in and used a cake on a 135 saber since I didn't want it to go to waste.

1 hour ago, Grandta said:

Why does the island suck for high level Dino's?

I mean I got two cakes and was hoping to use them on a high rex, quetzal and didn't see any over 80.

I have a base on carno island and was killing everything in sight to try and spawn a high rex. 

After hours I gave in and used a cake on a 135 saber since I didn't want it to go to waste.

Kill them all. The more of a certain dino you kill, the more likely you are to find more of the same dino at higher levels as you continue searching. Usually I'll clear out sections of the map, go to another part of the map and clear that one out, and then go back to the first place and look again. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

4 minutes ago, Grandta said:

I play official PvE solo on ps4

Then the Center. All Rag servers are at or near dino cap, pillared extensively, and full. People usually try and chase off anybody new because of those issues. The Center has a lot more open areas and while missing the Griffin, Wyvern, and Rock Elemental's have the rest of the high level dino's you'd be looking for. 

5 minutes ago, Grandta said:

I'll try the center so. Was thinking of just bring gates, bear trap and stuff to knock out and tame. Think it would be better just to have a small base to have a fridge to store kibble.

Your best bet for rexes on the center is volcano and half burnt islands. there's a really small island north of them that would be a good spot to setup a small outpost. also, nothing spawns in the middle of the waterway that's between volcano and half burnt so a taming box raft that could be moved to the shore on either side may be a good plan. just keep the raft away from either end of the water way and you shouldn't have to deal with any leeds ;)

12 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Kill them all. The more of a certain dino you kill, the more likely you are to find more of the same dino at higher levels as you continue searching. Usually I'll clear out sections of the map, go to another part of the map and clear that one out, and then go back to the first place and look again. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Since spawns are shared among different types of creatures, killing only one type in an attempt to spawn more of them can backfire if instead of killed ones something else spawns. So its better to just kill everything in the area where dino you want spawns. Even more so if there are water bodies with fish in the area - those tend to overspawn and clog all the spawners.

1 hour ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

Your best bet for rexes on the center is volcano and half burnt islands. there's a really small island north of them that would be a good spot to setup a small outpost. also, nothing spawns in the middle of the waterway that's between volcano and half burnt so a taming box raft that could be moved to the shore on either side may be a good plan. just keep the raft away from either end of the water way and you shouldn't have to deal with any leeds ;)

Have all the equipment now to build and tame a rex on the centre. Thanks for the tips.

6 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Since spawns are shared among different types of creatures, killing only one type in an attempt to spawn more of them can backfire if instead of killed ones something else spawns. So its better to just kill everything in the area where dino you want spawns. Even more so if there are water bodies with fish in the area - those tend to overspawn and clog all the spawners.

You don't say.

Archived