Is it possible to start from scratch

dragonboas

Like the title says is it even possible to start and play this game now?  I just bought it 5 days ago and been playing pretty constantly trying to build up stuff.  So far at least 100-150 hours and I have basically what I started with.  I have a raft...that's it.  Everytime I build something it just gets destroyed within 12 hours.  If I tame something it just runs off to go commit suicide.  IE the dumass retard ptera I just lost.  From looking at the server list basically nothing is newer than about 2k days old.  Is my only option to wait for a new server before I can actually play and if so how often does that even happen?  Also speaking of that dumbass ptera.  Set on nuetral/not follow and i'm rafting along when a carno bites the wall of my raft, whatever no big deal but the ptera runs off to fight the carno.  This has happend with about 6 tames so far.  All pteras except one raptor and every one of them on nuetral just runs off to fight something I don't want it fighting.  So basically I'm a level 68 with a stone walled raft and some wood in a storage locker.  That's it.  Oh I think I picked up a metal pickaxe somewhere.

Not doing too bad really. Welcome to Ark the game where everything goes wrong if or when it can and even when it shouldn't.

Some tips if you will:

• If you don't want stuff fighting keep on passive.
  • Flyers will sometimes fly away when attacked. If you don't want them going far keep them on follow or tame a dodo on the raft and keep on follow if you don't want it to follow you.
  • Maybe start on single player to get more comfortable with game play or perhaps start with PvE before PvP as depending on what you are trying to achieve one will absolutely suit you better.
  • If choosing PvP the learning curve will be GREATLY reduced in a tribe.

Good Luck!

Aside from them adding the new servers once the game went official I dont think I have really seen servers get wiped to restart tbh. If you want that sort of thing, unofficials are more often wiped or reset.

As for the ptera too.. neutral creatures will try to run off and rescue you from danger- so the birds have flown off due to the carno or whatever biting and setting off an attack- passive will make them ignore the attack.

First off welcome to Ark, I hope you enjoy your stay :-)...

As far as things getting destroyed within 12 hours, I'm assuming you are playing on an official PVP server is that correct? You don't mention that anywhere so just guessing by your experience so far.  Official PVP can be rough for noobs, and if that's where you want to play I'd highly suggest building in the most hidden places possible.

Other options surely exist as well. They include joining an already established tribe on the server, scouting out other servers that might let noobs build up, and playing on a non-official player dedicated server.

As far as your dino's running off to fight other dinos, this is what setting them on neutral does.  If you, one of your other dinos, or even one of your structures gets attacked they will run to defend it/you.  If you don't want this to happen make sure to set them on passive instead.

Happy Arking!!!

31 minutes ago, dragonboas said:

Like the title says is it even possible to start and play this game now?  I just bought it 5 days ago and been playing pretty constantly trying to build up stuff.  So far at least 100-150 hours and I have basically what I started with.  I have a raft...that's it.  Everytime I build something it just gets destroyed within 12 hours.  If I tame something it just runs off to go commit suicide.  IE the dumass retard ptera I just lost.  From looking at the server list basically nothing is newer than about 2k days old.  Is my only option to wait for a new server before I can actually play and if so how often does that even happen?  Also speaking of that dumbass ptera.  Set on nuetral/not follow and i'm rafting along when a carno bites the wall of my raft, whatever no big deal but the ptera runs off to fight the carno.  This has happend with about 6 tames so far.  All pteras except one raptor and every one of them on nuetral just runs off to fight something I don't want it fighting.  So basically I'm a level 68 with a stone walled raft and some wood in a storage locker.  That's it.  Oh I think I picked up a metal pickaxe somewhere.

HOnestly, as long as your leveling up and learning the ins and outs you are actually accomplishing more than you think.  The ebst thing for you to do is find a nice hiding place to build and setup. DOnt think of it as a mega super awesome base but instead make a small 4x4 or a little bigger and get the lay of the land. A map like Ragnorak might be good for you because there are many places to hide. We find noob bases that progressed nicely which were hidden really well. Depending on their attitude in chat we sometimes let them live and learn. SOme of our best recruits were beach noobs that we secretly watched and seen how fast they learned the game and what they could build up.  I wouldnt jump into a big tribe until you learn the ropes. As cool as it sounds having everything in the game at your disposal it kind of takes some of the fun out of it and the learning curve.  Have a thick skin and be prepared to have your soul crushed a few times.

I would suggest going with a dedicated server. I tried the PVP official server scene on Xbox for about 2 years, and it's just... toxic. The only way to play the game to its fullest is to be in a huge tribe, and that's when you attract all the hardcore people who want to wipe you for odd reasons, want to be allied to inside you, or under map wipe your entire base. Who are more like sociopaths, if you ask me. Stalking people's facebooks because a new player made a "your mama" joke and doxxing their entire information to the whole server, and various other problems relating to that kind of attitude that's widespread in the PVP scene. It's scary how they can find your other online presences even when it's not linked to your gaming profile and you don't ever hand out your real name to your tribe mates. PVE isn't any better, the larger tribes just constantly pillar off everywhere to prevent new players to the server. Even with the pillar decay timer, they always renew the spots with more pillars. 

I hear dedicated is really nice but I'm personally done with people, so single player is now my primary source of ARK-ing. Dedicated servers and single player servers have special sliders that can really make ARK stay fun. Like not having to spend actual 13 days, from incubation to maturation, raising a Giga without a breeding event. These servers can decrease that time to just a handful of hours. It's honestly better imho, but ultimately up to you if this is the scene you want to stick with.

Ok that's useful about the passive thing.  I see neutral and think that it means it won't give two poops that i'm being attacked.  I'll try passive next time.  That's been my number 1 problem for sure.  I have tried building in hidden spots but people still fly in with wyverns and level a forest for some reason and my house happens to be in there.  This is now my 3rd server i've transferred to so hopefully it will work but I don't want to go non-pvp because eventually I want to actually do pvp, it's just getting leveled up and built up to that point that is a bit frustrating.  Also I don't even know how to find a tribe lol.  Noone ever talks in global chat.  Except for two people that are always looking for each other...it's weird.  I'm definitely learning.  Had a big house on the last server with a dodo farm, rokarrot planters, and was kibble taming pteras but then they'd just die on neutral so glad I got that figured out hopefully.  Then my big house got destroyed by 5 wyverns at once.  good times......

I would not recommend building on a raft unless you know what you are doing, I am in a large tribe but decided to play solo for about a month, learn to not rely on tames and you will be fine. Also, dont build big and keep lights at night to a minimum. My 1x1 with all my loot is still around after trolling the Alpha on that server (I built in the render of their base, They don't think to look close to their base.)

12 hours ago, dragonboas said:

Lol sounds about right. Welcome to ark pvp

Put pteras on passive. They won't run off to fight things that attack you. Also if you need to get on it it will stay still for you. 

No new servers you just have to survive on the ones that are up. Not all servers are as bad as each other, some will let you build turrets and Tame a few things before they destroy everything. 

Build metal, build hidden, build defences. There is three types of raider. The first is a beach Bob raider, he don't have anything himself and looks for easy targets, a few plant x and your dinos inside a building will deter and stop this type, then there is the cross server troll raiders, they come with rockets c4 and pteras, they don't want your stuff just to destroy your base, a few turrets and a metal base will make them think its not worth their time. Then there are the alpha raiders, they are the big tribe on the server they have everything, there is nothing you can do against them, if they are wiping you best to leave the server. 

Build a few turrets and talk to the big tribes on the server, see if they are friendly, chances are they will let a new player like you build in peace as you are no trouble If not find a friendlier server. 

10 hours ago, dragonboas said:

Oh forgot to ask, I've been trying to grow species x defense but in 3 days I haven't gotten one to mature.  They always get destroyed, always when i'm offline so don't know by who or how.  So is there a good way to protect them until they grow up?

Put wooden spike walls over them while they are growing, 

If you find yourself just not able to make the break on official and you're frustrated, you can try a private server. 

Private PvP is waaayyyyyyy different than official. People on private actually want you there. Rates are bumped a little bit usually to encourage more PvP. Find one you like. I'm personally on a 4x harvest 2x breed server and it's been good.

16 hours ago, dragonboas said:

yes it is. problem with ark is that single player is boring and not persistent, pvp officials are full of bad people that think wiping wood shack makes them good players, pve officials are overloaded, same goes with pve legacy. good unofficial is impossible to find as there is not filter for rates and mods, so i would suggest that you try official pvp legacy servers. they arent overloaded as pve is, you have lot of free space to build and most tribes help new players

15 hours ago, dragonboas said:

Ok that's useful about the passive thing.  I see neutral and think that it means it won't give two poops that i'm being attacked.  I'll try passive next time.  That's been my number 1 problem for sure.  I have tried building in hidden spots but people still fly in with wyverns and level a forest for some reason and my house happens to be in there.  This is now my 3rd server i've transferred to so hopefully it will work but I don't want to go non-pvp because eventually I want to actually do pvp, it's just getting leveled up and built up to that point that is a bit frustrating.  Also I don't even know how to find a tribe lol.  Noone ever talks in global chat.  Except for two people that are always looking for each other...it's weird.  I'm definitely learning.  Had a big house on the last server with a dodo farm, rokarrot planters, and was kibble taming pteras but then they'd just die on neutral so glad I got that figured out hopefully.  Then my big house got destroyed by 5 wyverns at once.  good times......

If I may interject, here are a couple of points I haven't seen elsewhere in the thread that may be of help.

1:  Learn the whistle commands keyboard shortcuts.  Sometimes it's extremely helpful to be able to hit a key and have your mount go passive instead of neutral, or to start following when it starts to fly off.

2:  Continue to interact with our amazing community here on the forums and very quickly you will leave Early Bird status, which means that you will also then be able to see the Tribes section of the forum.  You may find that handy when making decisions about where and with whom to play.  As the others have pointed out, learning the game in any mode is much, much easier when gaming with like minded individuals that are willing to answer your questions as you go.

3:  Once you have learned what aspects of the game you like as is, and those you would prefer to alter to better fit your lifestyle, check out the server advertisements section and investigate unofficial servers.  They can take basic ARK and do anything from tweak it slightly to transform it into an almost completely different game altogether.  This is completely optional though.  Some folks are content with Official servers their entire ARK life, others graduate up to unofficial almost immediately... just consider it an option available for you try out any time you like.

Guest DJRone89

Ark: Beach Evolved.

The only reason I bought the game after my trial was up, was so I could see what was beyond the beach ?

It’s a hard learning curve in the beginning but tribing up will make that time much better, or at least you’ll have others to hold when you inevitably get wiped again.

my advice, don't bother with official. from what I've been able to gather, People there are schvinhunds. PvP they destroy nood huts for no reason, PvE people put pillars everywhere. and this isn't even accounting for the problems that PvP has, such as the huge attacker advantage, undermeshing, duping, and i'm p99.9% sure that most of the bugs and issues people report are caused by official servers being sub-par.

My advice? find a good unofficial PvE server, learn the ropes, and if you feel like doing PvP afterwards, be my guess. My only warning is that many unofficial servers will wipe every few months, do note however, that many unofficial servers have increased rates, nothing to crazy, but with these rates (particularly breeding) you can get through the game rather fast, once you get the hand of it. i believe the server admin on the cluster i play on and his tribe managed to ascend within 30 days of the server being wiped.

Do you play on ps4? I'd be happy to help you get on your feet.

To addon on to Ranger1's post, you can reassign the whistle hotkeys to your function keys so you arent accidently hitting them in the heat of the moment. I always suggest switching the actions of the E key to the R key. Just moving it one key over prevents a lot of splatter deaths.

Passive: dino does NOTHING when it or your property is attacked. If its a flyer it will move a little ways away sometimes when its attacked.
Neutral: All dinos on neutral will attack anyone/anything that hits anything you own within its agro range. If the dino is on follow, it will return to the object it is following after all attackers are dealt with.
Aggressive: Dinos will attack anything hostile that gets near it. It uses the same follow rules as neutral.

Archived