Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
DownLikeSyndrome

A good way to not get raided

Recommended Posts

Tame some purlovias and use them as hidden vaults in undisclosed locations and hide your most valuable tames. Then when they come to wipe you, you will have fun with pvp. Think of it as them showing you your bases weaknesses. Then after you more then likely get wiped go to you purlovia vaults and rebuild in a different server. My tribe is alpha on a center server and we got attacked by cross server raiders. They pushed us back to a point, but our defenses where to strong to push any farther. Eventually they fell asleep and we kicked them off our server then fortified where they showed us where we were weak in our base design. We have also fought people with purlovia vaults and let me just say that was our tribes Vietnam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 6:05 AM, Armadatiny said:

It's a survival game,. If they had come to wipe the server and a deal wasn't reached, then this would probably be  :( "an evil mega tribe wiped us all" thread.

Well done, You survived! well for now anyways and have choices. Give them what you negotiated. Look for allies that might make fighting them possible. Etc etc etc ........ plenty more options.

 

Always a mystery to me why some definitions of survival include slavery and some don't. I wouldn't deem being a slave survival. Let me fix this:

"Well done, you sold yourself! Well for now you are still alive and have to produce what they want or you'll get the same result you embarrassed yourself for to prevent. Call them daddy and other tribes will totally respect you and want to be your allies to overthrow them because clearly you bring something to the table. You basically have unlimited options." There ya go.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:39 AM, Hammond said:

I wouldn't judge you as harshly as some others in here do, it's easy for them to say "go out in a blaze of glory instead" but when it's their months of work that are threatened I think most would sing to a very different tune. 

I would however echo what others have said, this WILL escalate, it's only a matter of time until they either start demanding a lot more or simply come and raid you (maybe even under a different tribe name so they can continue demanding tributes at the same time)

If they're too big to fight directly I'd recommend using the time this has bought you to start setting up base elsewhere and start moving your items/tames. 

Judgement and obvious observation are different. I don't think he or anyone who is doing this is any worse/better than me, it's just a pathetic and embarrassing move. Why even play a game if you're going to end up in servitude? Seriously is that how you have fun? Yikes hate to see the romance life.

I have been in that position and we fought the best we could and lost. We earned the respect of the alpha tribe and they left us alone. On another server we lost to alpha again and we tried a different server. We have butted heads a few times with different alphas on different servers and only once became somewhat successful. Never have I EVER got on my knees and begged to make a deal to keep a freaking digital bird. PATHETIC. But I don't know anything.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:50 AM, Cullis said:

Then you can say I'm already paying taxes to that tribe so take it up with them and if they threaten you tell the big tribe that their free 20k gp deal will be over unless they tell the other guys to pound sand...

Did you just advise them to talk to your pimp? There is a bigger issue here.. how do you look in the mirror and not barf?

On 2/17/2018 at 10:21 AM, Cullis said:

If you die on your feet you're missing on the chance of [stabbing your enemy in his sleep

.. no.. no their not. Plus if you want to go that route WHY ARE YOU PLAYING PVP? When did this game become PvofflineP? Does anyone know the second P stands for player? Not base, not while they are taking a dump, not anything but player. I bet you're really good at offline raids? Just guessing... 

On 2/17/2018 at 12:10 PM, St1ckyBandit said:

Smart move. At the very least you bought yourself some time to hide/transfer out your valuables before they decide to wipe you

I would change smart move to good tactic.. IF and only IF the plan was to follow through with the rest of what you said. But it's clear they are happy living as a servant.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:26 PM, Lickimus said:

Thats how it works irl. some small countries, gangs etc stand up to a powerful apponent and lose everything, but most pay their taxes...

Do you go outside? When was the last time you saw the sky? When you say irl do you mean The Godfather? 

On 2/17/2018 at 9:54 PM, DownLikeSyndrome said:

they ended up giving us anky fert eggs and quezt so we can farm better so they alright other then killing the ptero for poop and giggles they solid and i rather have a base then not have a base

...WOW just WOW.. If you think this is something to brag about we need to have a long conversation. They ENABLED you to be a better .. slave .. I can't say what I wanted to say. I would quit this game if I ever felt the need to brag about this. Why aren't you ashamed? Where is your self respect??? They are laughing at you... our race is doomed if this line of thinking ever becomes the popular opinion. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SirPeter said:

Judgement and obvious observation are different. I don't think he or anyone who is doing this is any worse/better than me, it's just a pathetic and embarrassing move. Why even play a game if you're going to end up in servitude? Seriously is that how you have fun? Yikes hate to see the romance life.

I have been in that position and we fought the best we could and lost. We earned the respect of the alpha tribe and they left us alone. On another server we lost to alpha again and we tried a different server. We have butted heads a few times with different alphas on different servers and only once became somewhat successful. Never have I EVER got on my knees and begged to make a deal to keep a freaking digital bird. PATHETIC. But I don't know anything.

Hm, pathetic and embarrassing sure sound a lot more like judgements than observations to me. Just trying to say theres a lot of people in here talking big about what they would do in the situation and  its easy to make those claims from a message board but harder when a mega tribe is standing at your gate threatening to wipe whats taken you months to accumulate. Personally i think playing for time until you can better prepare to fight/leave is a good idea, although it sounds like OP decided just to bow down to them. Think thats a terrible idea personally but hey we all gotta make our own choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hammond What I am saying is the same as the difference between something is x and something is like x. So not accusing them of being such just saying they are making choices that represents it. So if it makes you feel better to say I am judging their actions sure as that matters little to me. But I am not judging them. And how would you classify their actions? Would your observation be they are tactical, smart, insightful, peaceful, or something else? Really look at the true meaning of the words and then compare to the context of the circumstances. They bent over as to avoid conflict. No plans of running, moving, prepping for a surprise attack, nothing. Then they brag about being given stuff so they can be better as a slave? If that isn't pathetic to you then we have different meanings of the word and I am curious how you would define it? 

Maybe I should change how I said it. I would feel pathetic and embarrassed to roll over like that? Does that make you happy? :P 

As I said I have been in such a place several times and I am proud I acted as I did. Wouldn't change it and never will. And again I must reiterate it's PVP.. feel like I'm beating a dead horse here.

41 minutes ago, Hammond said:

we all gotta make our own choices

Agreed.

Edited by SirPeter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hammond said:

Hm, pathetic and embarrassing sure sound a lot more like judgements than observations to me. Just trying to say theres a lot of people in here talking big about what they would do in the situation and  its easy to make those claims from a message board but harder when a mega tribe is standing at your gate threatening to wipe whats taken you months to accumulate. Personally i think playing for time until you can better prepare to fight/leave is a good idea, although it sounds like OP decided just to bow down to them. Think thats a terrible idea personally but hey we all gotta make our own choices.

OP put a quarter in his butt and played himself. 20k gunpowder is a drop in the bucket to any alpha tribe with with a base covered in turrets. It's an hour or two of farming by 2-3 people. He didn't buy himself time, he demonstrated how weak the tribe is and that he's an easy mark. Would have been better to just get wiped...or at most ask the raiders if they could leave behind some metal tools and armor to get a head start on rebuilding...even that shows more stones than "Please stop I'll pay you!"

 

Edited by LouSpowells
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

OP put a quarter in his butt and played himself. 20k gunpowder is a drop in the bucket to any alpha tribe with with a base covered in turrets. It's an hour or two of farming by 2-3 people. He didn't buy himself time, he demonstrated how weak the tribe is and that he's an easy mark. Would have been better to just get wiped...or at most ask the raiders if they could leave behind some metal tools and armor to get a head start on rebuilding...even that shows more stones than "Please stop I'll pay you!"

 

Well, clearly he did buy himself time since they would've wiped him on the spot otherwise and here we are a week later with his base seemingly still standing. Thats a week he could've spent moving his things or forming a strategy against them if he'd chosen to do so. Sometimes the smart tactics are to know when you're fighting a losing battle and instead respond at a time of your choosing when you can give yourself the advantage and the element of surprise. Simply saying "raptor you" to every mega tribe who comes your way is fine if you want to get wiped all the time, and i respect anyone who wishes to do that but if you want to actually survive past your first week or so as a small tribe/solo player you really have to play smarter than that and learn more creative ways to deal with larger tribes. Unfortunately though clearly his "Stones" weren't as massive as you like to make yours sound.

Edited by Hammond
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hammond said:

Well, clearly he did buy himself time since they would've wiped him on the spot otherwise and here we are a week later with his base seemingly still standing. Thats a week he could've spent moving his things or forming a strategy against them if he'd chosen to do so. Sometimes the smart tactics are to know when you're fighting a losing battle and instead respond at a time of your choosing when you can give yourself the advantage and the element of surprise. Simply saying "raptor you" to every mega tribe who comes your way is fine if you want to get wiped all the time, and i respect anyone who wishes to do that but if you want to actually survive past your first week or so as a small tribe/solo player you really have to play smarter than that and learn more creative ways to deal with larger tribes. Unfortunately though clearly his "Stones" weren't as massive as you like to make yours sound.

Firstly, they're average at best. Secondly, I'm sorry, but I don't understand the intent or nature of your response. I agree that using tactics to buy time for a counter offensive or trick tribes into allowing you an escape is a good idea. Creative, deceitful, guerrilla, and outright dirty tactics are how I survived solo for long stretches on some pretty aggro PvP servers over the years. As you stated in the post I was agreeing with:

On 2/22/2018 at 11:37 AM, Hammond said:

Personally i think playing for time until you can better prepare to fight/leave is a good idea, although it sounds like OP decided just to bow down to them. Think thats a terrible idea personally but hey we all gotta make our own choices.

You and I seem to agree that it's a terrible idea. Using this method as a retreat or counter-offensive tactic is effective because it's a bamboozle, not an arrangement. When used as an arrangement, the attackers get the impression that OP's tribe is a helpless and/or stoneless vending machine. Attempting to survive on a server long term by providing stipends to more powerful tribes is a guaranteed loss. At best it delays the inevitable. At worst it means that, when the attacker finally gets bored with the peasant tax, the "protected" tribe will lose FAR more than they would have if they had simply fought and lost the first time.

 

Edited by LouSpowells

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/2/2018 at 2:39 PM, Hammond said:

I wouldn't judge you as harshly as some others in here do, it's easy for them to say "go out in a blaze of glory instead" but when it's their months of work that are threatened I think most would sing to a very different tune. 

I would however echo what others have said, this WILL escalate, it's only a matter of time until they either start demanding a lot more or simply come and raid you (maybe even under a different tribe name so they can continue demanding tributes at the same time)

If they're too big to fight directly I'd recommend using the time this has bought you to start setting up base elsewhere and start moving your items/tames. 

Pretty much this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Firstly, they're average at best. Secondly, I'm sorry, but I don't understand the intent or nature of your response. I agree that using tactics to buy time for a counter offensive or trick tribes into allowing you an escape is a good idea. Creative, deceitful, guerrilla, and outright dirty tactics are how I survived solo for long stretches on some pretty aggro PvP servers over the years. As you stated in the post I was agreeing with:

You and I seem to agree that it's a terrible idea. Using this method as a retreat or counter-offensive tactic is effective because it's a bamboozle, not an arrangement. When used as an arrangement, the attackers get the impression that OP's tribe is a helpless and/or stoneless vending machine. Attempting to survive on a server long term by providing stipends to more powerful tribes is a guaranteed loss. At best it delays the inevitable. At worst it means that, when the attacker finally gets bored with the peasant tax, the "protected" tribe will lose FAR more than they would have if they had simply fought and lost the first time.

 

I think we agree to be honest, I was never suggesting this was a long term solution but rather a short term tactic to play for time and devise a response, whether that be to leave the server or to counter attack. I find the idea of paying someone an extortion full stop infuriating, let alone long term. Just think you have to pick your battles and respond when it's in your advantage.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we basically gave them the gp and acted like there servants and waited a little while until they had wiped most of the server and then we all stayed up till 4am and hit their base they had they were not on thank god.

The main stuff we killed was 2 90% imprinted giga and 3 queztals 1 bronti 5 stegos and a lot of flyers plus resources tames we got a good amount of turret bullet heavy turrets and explosives. 

Then we went on there center and sniped everything they had with compound bows killed like 40-50 tames just chilling in their courtyard big thing was 8 wyverns and their mining queztal and anky it was by their forge guess they forgot to put it up we could've done more but they got on and we dipped plus we tanked some turret bullet with some stegos and rammed a bronti in there base just 4 fun.

They told us they gonna wipe us but we ain't worried we hurt them bad and they gave us alot of stuff to defend with 23 heavy turrets and 2 vaults worth of ar bullets is good for us.

Plus their scorched isnt that big anyways and their island same story so they aint a mega tribe after all. 

But if we didn't act like we were gonna kneel then we would've gotten wipe us having the element of surprise and really hitting them hard put us on the winning side stayed up for 39hrs but it was worth.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DownLikeSyndrome said:

Well we basically gave them the gp and acted like there servants and waited a little while until they had wiped most of the server and then we all stayed up till 4am and hit their base they had they were not on thank god.

The main stuff we killed was 2 90% imprinted giga and 3 queztals 1 bronti 5 stegos and a lot of flyers plus resources tames we got a good amount of turret bullet heavy turrets and explosives. 

Then we went on there center and sniped everything they had with compound bows killed like 40-50 tames just chilling in their courtyard big thing was 8 wyverns and their mining queztal and anky it was by their forge guess they forgot to put it up we could've done more but they got on and we dipped plus we tanked some turret bullet with some stegos and rammed a bronti in there base just 4 fun.

They told us they gonna wipe us but we ain't worried we hurt them bad and they gave us alot of stuff to defend with 23 heavy turrets and 2 vaults worth of ar bullets is good for us.

Plus their scorched isnt that big anyways and their island same story so they aint a mega tribe after all. 

But if we didn't act like we were gonna kneel then we would've gotten wipe us having the element of surprise and really hitting them hard put us on the winning side stayed up for 39hrs but it was worth.

Glad to hear they got what was coming to em, nice job! :Melee_Damage:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good one :D 

Glad to hear you got a win :) Yours was a much better course of action than playing wannabe tough guy and getting yourself wiped at the time. Kudos!
What I would suggest now is strengthen your base (the heavies will help a little) and build your tribe. No greater defence than having tribemembers online 24/7. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 1:38 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

 

Don't downplay the scenario by calling it just 'pvp' like you just did. As if what's going on this scenario should be considered acceptable. I would rather WC not consider this acceptable so PVP can eventually mean something other than wiping all pvp clusters for luls and lols, at the expense of time consumption beyond comparison to most other 'pvp' games. 

 

On 2/18/2018 at 6:02 PM, Thorium said:

No thats not how it works irl. irl you pay your taxes, so the society in that you live can function. You pay them for your own benefit as well as for others that are to weak to pay for themselfs.

In ARK you just pay because you are a slave, you get nothing for it. No infrastructure you can use, no public health care, no free education, etc. this stuff costs money, thats what taxes are for irl.

Up until another tribe comes to wipe the slave tribe, to which presumably the owner of the slave tribe will attempt to protect them to maintain the income/taxes. So the slave tribe is slaving away for protection in many scenarios, not in all of the scenarios  of course. Can't imagine every alpha not playing by common sense vs boredom. 

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...