Solo players given raw deal

lashton

3 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

This is silly. If you want to play alone, use single player. If you don't know anybody, join a server with good ping to you and start making friends. Why is this a hard concept? Multiplayer is for MULTIPLE PLAYERS. Single player is for solo play.

Man did you see my post before.. totally answered and solved this entire thing.. unless I missed something? Now it's just wasting breath trying to solve this seemingly simple concept. I really believe some will complain about anything. You're right though, silly sums it up well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is only true for official PvP. I've been playing official solo on new servers since release. Granted I already knew how to play the game from EA. But still solo isn't that bad. The key is to have personality and makes friends who also play on our server. Then you ally and if you ever need help then you have options. Be nice and help people and you'll get help back.

If you don't get hung up on the wording "Solo", I think there is a valid point the op is bringing up - The despondency between a small tribe and a large (mega tribe) is far too great. I understand the game is intended to be multiplayer and you are encouraged to tribe up...But equally there are many small tribes that do not for what-ever reason wish to be any bigger. There choice just like a solo player's choice has limited their chances of "success" that is if there is ever such a thing in this game.

If the playing field was to be somewhat evened, would the health of the game play out better in the long run?

Would PvP be more fun?

As an example, If say the tribe numbers were reduced to 10 and number of alliances reduced to 1 -- Would this setting prove more enjoyable to the whole community?  Solo players would have a chance as well as small tribes without fear of mega tribe server wipes.

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, Mendoza said:

If you don't get hung up on the wording "Solo", I think there is a valid point the op is bringing up - The despondency between a small tribe and a large (mega tribe) is far too great. I understand the game is intended to be multiplayer and you are encouraged to tribe up...But equally there are many small tribes that do not for what-ever reason wish to be any bigger. There choice just like a solo player's choice has limited their chances of "success" that is if there is ever such a thing in this game.

If the playing field was to be somewhat evened, would the health of the game play out better in the long run?

Would PvP be more fun?

As an example, If say the tribe numbers were reduced to 10 and number of alliances reduced to 1 -- Would this setting prove more enjoyable to the whole community?  Solo players would have a chance as well as small tribes without fear of mega tribe server wipes.

If you don’t like the way official is set out, go play unofficials. The devs say the same exact thing.

Official doesn’t cater to the casuals and the hard done by.

This thread has devolved into either agreeing with someone's opinion or disagreeing. I don't see anything constructive being produced here. I would just let this thread die. Some think MULTIPLAYER is too difficult for playing solo and others see the purpose for multiple playing options: Multiplayer and Single Player. Lets not forget there are unofficial servers available as well as the ability to run your own server. Everyone save your energy no need to start bickering over something so ridiculous.

Here is this thread in a summary: Some think one thing and others think another thing, welcome to life. Okay next topic as there isn't anything else to be discovered here. Move along people, nothing to see!

On February 14, 2018 at 11:50 PM, lashton said:

Solo players are given a raw deal, when they don't wanna join a larger tribe the game is so anti solo players

I dunno I feel like we are in a better place now as solo players than we have been in a long time, turret limit and the heavy turrets. Just gotta adjust your play style.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:50 AM, lashton said:

Solo players are given a raw deal, when they don't wanna join a larger tribe the game is so anti solo players

I think you may have worded things a bit wrong.  If you were pointing out that PVP servers are toxic then you would have a point, because PVP servers in all online survival games are aimed at entertaining raiders as opposed to builders.  I do wish that games like Ark or Rust would give a builders edge to defenders, but they wont because most of the fanbase of these types of PVP games are angry offline raiders that want a pat on the back for killing somebody in their sleep.  You have options though, you can play an offline raid protections server, you can play PVE, you can play single player, the list goes on.  PVE has tribal warfare, so you can still engage in PVP style fights with consent from both parties.  PVP will never be good for solo players just like in the real world numbers almost always win.  It doesn't matter how skilled you are, one soldier isn't going to magically defeat one hundred soldiers in a straight up fight.  The old saying is wrong, because quantity almost always trumps quality in a fight for survival.

On 07/03/2018 at 10:28 PM, Xenithar said:

This is silly. If you want to play alone, use single player. If you don't know anybody, join a server with good ping to you and start making friends. Why is this a hard concept? Multiplayer is for MULTIPLE PLAYERS. Single player is for solo play.

Why should a solo player have to just play single player lmfao, when this game first came out we were all solo players

So sick of all the self proclaimed experts always telling us solo players to play single player using mods to be able to complete this game solo. MOds are the same as cheating and i shouldnt need to cheat to complete a game ? (Ark cheating evolved) i play on official servers so i cant use mods or commands to play the game as it was intended to be!  (vanilla)

11 minutes ago, jpipher said:

So sick of all the self proclaimed experts always telling us solo players to play single player using mods to be able to complete this game solo. MOds are the same as cheating and i shouldnt need to cheat to complete a game ? (Ark cheating evolved) i play on official servers so i cant use mods or commands to play the game as it was intended to be!  (vanilla)

Nicely put

Guest DJRone89
14 minutes ago, jpipher said:

Can you point out these self proclaimed experts please?

6 minutes ago, jpipher said:

Dude I primarily play single player nowadays and I play on vanilla settings for everything except breeding.  There is almost no legit way a solo player on a crowded server can collect rexes with the stats he needs to solo the bosses and complete the game.  Since I play single player I am the only one hunting high level rexes on my maps which gives me a chance.  I have breeding set to 6x so it takes me 16 hours to imprint a Rex and not the 92 hours official takes.  The only way a solo could get the rexes he needs on official would be if a Mega Tribe decides to give them to you, and where is the skill in that.  On a PVP server it just is not feasible to solo every aspect of the game with the threat of Alpha tribes wiping you and the bosses and breeding set up to be so grindy.  

Guest DJRone89

When you play a multiplayer game mode, it’s intened you play with other players, and this game has a tribe system in place for that very reason.

Official rates are set for group play and as a result, are balanced that way. Take taming and breeding for example (excluding imprinting that was brought in later as the game developed), the average times for mid to high level tames are long, taking hours to obtain. Then breeding can take days at a time. Is that not a big enough hint?

End game is all but unachievable as a solo player, coincidence?

Many aspects of this game are only achievable as a tribe because you can’t do everything without the necessary help the game implies you require.

Solo players given the raw deal... Correct. Play smarter or tribe up.

Guest DJRone89
24 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

So where's the multiplayer tribe help when i had to drag my backside out of bed to imprint my wyverns in the middle of the night? Right.. ?

Imprinting is a choice, not a necessity.

Guest DJRone89
2 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

There is a server setting to allow tribe imprinting on creatures.  The general gist of this thread should be that official PVP sucks and that nobody play it unless they don’t have a job or they are really good at convincing goons to follow their orders.

Isn’t official PvP mostly politics anyway?

4 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

Regardless, where's the tribe help? Oh there isn't any.

That is your choice entirely. I play on an official PvE server with one other player. Granted, it would be great if there was 10 of su sharing the workload but we trust one another and are happy to grind between ourselves. My tribemate does by far the hard work i.e. building and taming the hard dinos whereas I feed, breed and organise.

I live in a different country to him and due to the 5+ hrs difference in timezone, he does his bit and I do my bit in the week - we are practically solo players. Only at weekends do we hook up for a few hrs and go and do somethings together. 

I have 100% imprinted bears and rexes but having a large tribe doesnt help achieve this, this is a solo process.

Your statement of solo players getting a raw deal isnt clear? Is this because you feel solo players cant get 100% tames? They cant get end game content? They cant beat bosses?

Your assessment needs further justification and explanation. 

It's a hard life, that of the solo player on Official. I wouldn't even try on PvP, but I'm not a fan of PvP anyways. I've been solo on official servers now for well over a year total, not counting the 5 month break I took to run a dedicated one.

The only things a solo player cannot do on PVE is run mid or high bosses, and probably the labyrinth in Rag now. Given enough time, you can eventually accomplish all the things. It's hard. It takes time. It takes a LOT of trial and error. But it can be done. Strategy, dedication, alarm clocks, energy drinks, vacation time, yeah, you can even 100% imprint gigas.

24 minutes ago, Wyrmbear said:

It's a hard life, that of the solo player on Official. I wouldn't even try on PvP, but I'm not a fan of PvP anyways. I've been solo on official servers now for well over a year total, not counting the 5 month break I took to run a dedicated one.

The only things a solo player cannot do on PVE is run mid or high bosses, and probably the labyrinth in Rag now. Given enough time, you can eventually accomplish all the things. It's hard. It takes time. It takes a LOT of trial and error. But it can be done. Strategy, dedication, alarm clocks, energy drinks, vacation time, yeah, you can even 100% imprint gigas.

You are exactly right, solos can absolutely do anything on a PVE server.  I feel like most of the time when you see people complain about it being unfair to solo players they probably have no idea PVE exists.  Of course PVP servers are going to be bad, even if you don’t get preventatively wiped by an Alpha, low ranking trolls on the server are going to make your life hell.  The worst thing that can happen on PVE is somebody kiting a Titan to you.  If you don’t like the advantage large groups have on solo players your only options are PVE or single player. 

Archived