Wanting to set up new server, wanting ideas

Hello, iv'e been playing ark for a year and a half and iv'e finally decided to set up my own ark server, sick of admin abuse and servers getting shut down. i have several ideas, such a boss dungeons, specified engrams, and some mods i might install as well. i would use nitrado , and i don't have an idea for a name. i want to use Ragnarok with 20x taming, 5x gathering, 15x breeding, upped weight, stam, and speed. the turret dmg would be 2x as would Dino health. i also might have no fliers, since i feel like once u get a flier, it takes the exploration aspect of the game, and make things more localized. i should have a full list of all the stats if i decide to run the server. If any of you smart guys (or stupid) have any ideas, speak up, i'm all ears. 

I don't have any specific ideas, but be aware that it is very hard to get your server populated. You need to put a lot work into advertising it. There are thousands of low pop unofficial servers and most people are looking for servers with a already existing population. So right from the start you need a player base.

5 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

You can’t run mods, so there’s that.

ah thank you, my bad

6 hours ago, Thorium said:

I don't have any specific ideas, but be aware that it is very hard to get your server populated. You need to put a lot work into advertising it. There are thousands of low pop unofficial servers and most people are looking for servers with a already existing population. So right from the start you need a player base.

i realized this, mostly why this i made this post, plus i have a friends and my brother should play, so that will be of some help

Guest DJRone89
3 minutes ago, Racketrc1 said:

i realized this, mostly why this i made this post, plus i have a friends and my brother should play, so that will be of some help

As the other guy said, its very difficult starting off let alone maintaining a population.

I’ve been hosting for 18 months but only my first 8 months were advertised to the public. It felt like a second job trying run the server and keep it populated.

So, in the end I just host for a few RL friends and the people who chose to stay on my server through thick and thin.

All the best starting up but you may want to find a niche to reel in people instead of more of the same - stand out and peak interest. Make sure to to include as much general details as possible so people aren’t guessing, and to save yourself from answering the same questions.

19 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

As the other guy said, its very difficult starting off let alone maintaining a population.

I’ve been hosting for 18 months but only my first 8 months were advertised to the public. It felt like a second job trying run the server and keep it populated.

So, in the end I just host for a few RL friends and the people who chose to stay on my server through thick and thin.

All the best starting up but you may want to find a niche to reel in people instead of more of the same - stand out and peak interest. Make sure to to include as much general details as possible so people aren’t guessing, and to save yourself from answering the same questions.

ok, thank you for the advice, i hope i dont wait 8 months and just give up cause no one will play, but yes, i do have some different ideas, such a dungeons, a "town" system, and (like i said in the original post) no flyers.  

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, Racketrc1 said:

ok, thank you for the advice, i hope i dont wait 8 months and just give up cause no one will play, but yes, i do have some different ideas, such a dungeons, a "town" system, and (like i said in the original post) no flyers.  

Now, I like your ideas so you should be ok but just know that it’s a struggle to begin with. Be open to suggestions but don’t drift too far away from your goal.

The benefit from Nitrado are the custom ini.files. I’ve seen some pretty creative incentives that people have on their servers like a starter pack. Some people give away stuff manually like tames but I’d take advantage of the custom drops if you choose that way. Put a starter kit in the white drops or something of that nature.

Focus on drawing people to your server first before you attempt to keep them. Those who want to stay, will.

Good luck :)

Edit: PvPvE servers are the most difficult to admin, so if you go down that route be aware that trolls will make your life a lot harder. You’re better off being completely PvE or PvP. In between is hard unless you have enough admins to enforce the rules. However, RP orientated PvPvE may be better suited, as people are more willing and know what they are signing up for.

Just now, DJRone89 said:

Now, I like your ideas so you should be ok but just know that it’s a struggle to begin with. Be open to suggestions but don’t drift too far away from your goal.

The benefit from Nitrado are the custom ini.files. I’ve seen some pretty creative incentives that people have on their servers like a starter pack. Some people give away stuff manually like tames but I’d take advantage of the custom drops if you choose that way. Put a starter kit in the white drops or something of that nature.

Focus on drawing people to your server first before you attempt to keep them. Those who want to stay, will.

Good luck :)

Edit: PvPvE servers are the most difficult to admin, so if you go down that route be aware that trolls will make your life a lot harder. You’re better off being completely PvE or PvP. In between is hard unless you have enough admins to enforce the rules. However, RP orientated PvPvE may be better suited, as people are more willing and know what they are signing up for.

Hmm, I not a crack at files and stuff, so I'm not sure how I would do the ini.files but I got utube so xD

Archived