Too Many Servers / Player Fragmentation

ForzaProiettile

I'll start by saying that my opinion is probably going to be highly unpopular but I'll say it anyway.

There are too many Official PVP servers and not enough players to support them. I have played this game since it was released in 2015 and I can remember fondly back then the servers were full to the brim 70/70 each night. You would walk 50m on a server and you would bump into someone and get into a vicious fight. In 2018 though things are very different. I go in the server browser and hit filter by players and I see that there a 4 servers have more then 30 players in it and then I see a long list of over a 100 servers with none of them having more then 15 with most not evening having 5. 

The game currently has 5 Official maps (Island, Center, Ragnorok, Scorched Earth, Aberration) and there are supposedly plans to add another unofficial map as an Official map on top of the unreleased DLC that will soon be coming out. I am a bit concerned what will happen when these two new maps come out because the ARK community is already highly divided. The release of Aberration hasn't improved things in that regard. A lot of servers that were borderline dead are now actually dead due to the big migrations to Aberration. The Scorched Earth servers have been pretty dead for a while especially since Ragnorak made them redundant.

I have to wonder is there a valid reason to keep so many of these dead servers around? All these dead servers make for bad PVP since the players are spread thin everywhere and all that typically happens is you get the occasional night raider come to your server but that's no fun since your not there to fight them. The daily PVP on your server is no longer a thing since there is no one to fight.

I would like to suggest the Wildcard merge/move dead servers so that overall there is less servers and players have to play on the more limited ones available thus making for better PVP since there will be more interactions between players on servers.

the thing is, upon release of maps, servers are always jam packed full of people and capped. when ragnarok first came out, i had difficulty finding a server to join and often times couldn’t even play because of the lag. it was US who begged wildcard to bring more and more and more servers in.

but like all things, the hype dissipatated and the high volume of players quickly dropped off after a month, so we are now left with a slew of servers that will stay at low population until who knows when. wildcard has not made any official word about repurposing or removing official servers so the scattered playerbase bound to those maps may be there for a long time.

the process will repeat itself whenever the next map is released. wildcard will want as many people as possible to be able to play/purchase their map, so they will introduce a massive batch of servers to compensate. when the hype dies again, we will be left with ghost towns. 

It's a known fact that people leave servers when their bases get wiped. I know you specifically have talked about being a very aggressive pvp player, and this is unfortunately one of the consequences of that play style. That paired with a massive amount of people leaving after recent changes that had direct effects on being able to defend yourself along with game breaking bugs that both are new and old eventually grinding people down to the point where official servers are no longer worth the time and effort it takes to fight in them. I witnessed first hand huge groups of players (like over 100 people) leaving their bases behind and either opting for dedicated servers, or going to another game. I don't want to sound like I have a biased opinion on the matter either. I never complain on here about arks decisions effecting their own player base. At the end of the day, they will be the ones to ultimately suffer the repercussions of that and not myself. I just think that it does deserve to be noted that now the obvious lack of people are starting to show on official pvp due to those reasons, as well as many others that ultimately make a player put down the controller and say "I'm done. This isn't a game I'm enjoying anymore." 

Less server = less space for small/medium tribes.

Actually we don't/didn't have enough servers. There was only 1 EU Center and 1 EU Scorched earth server at release = only big tribes prevailed and most of small tribes got wiped. Currently there are 2 Centers and 2 SEs which is still extra low. On legacy it was 25 Center servers per region, which means it was 25 EU and 25 NA servers for western players.

Current state: 90% of all servers are under mega tribes, even if you build strong there, its matter of days until you will get raided.

On 14/02/2018 at 7:35 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

I would like to suggest the Wildcard merge/move dead servers so that overall there is less servers and players have to play on the more limited ones available thus making for better PVP since there will be more interactions between players on servers.

I suggest you go play Rust.. 

On 2/14/2018 at 10:35 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

I'll start by saying that my opinion is probably going to be highly unpopular but I'll say it anyway.

There are too many Official PVP servers and not enough players to support them. I have played this game since it was released in 2015 and I can remember fondly back then the servers were full to the brim 70/70 each night.

Do you buy your rose colored sunglasses in bulk? 

Unpopular opinion is an understatement, lol.

Archived