Should Evolution Events almost every weekend come to an end?

jackthelad

WC has taken into consideration those of us who can play in the week, those of us who can play weekends and those who can do a bit of both. They will never be able to make everyone happy but the current method seems to suit most and for that I cant complain. The 2x maturation specials are great when it happens but I dont want it every weeekend, the 2x harvesting is nice as it allows me to concentrate on other things than breeding - so I can extend the base, feed everything and then spend my time exploring, caving etc. 

I think the balance is fairly good considering there are many players to take into consideration.

It could be worse - imagine 0.5 rates as the general and no special events. For those who want x3 and more and many special events - there are unofficials that suit. For everyone else there's official  (I know I took it from the MasterCard advert!)

3 hours ago, Palenor said:

You would still play if they removed weekend events.

So the one thing that is keeping you playing is the x2 events on weekend?

AND a big fat NO to the other ideas, I won't even repeat them they are such a bad idea.

Not that unbelievable...

I've had ARK since way early Access.

I've only played on Center in PvE, I let most of my base decay at one point but logged back in and rebuilt it with all metal.

after which I didn't even log in for 2x weekends, I probally didnt "play" for more about a year.

The only weekend I did log in and play seriously was the charity weekend that it got up to 8x on. Which was wasted time on a  legacy server.

I started playing again with Aberration on a new server since the Center server I'm on is legacy anyways and getting turned off.

I like Aberration ok for now.

(my step-daughter wanted me to play ARK with her so we started fresh on Aberration and we have a good size base and a lot of dinos right now)

So I'm playing aberration now mostly on weekends for 2x and logging in during the week to feed my dinos and breifly play a lil.

so yea.. not a big leap to stop playing again and move on to something else.

Micro tranactions done right arn't a big deal.. Micro transactions didn't mess up SW:Battlefront 2 (which I preordered) SW:Battlefront 2 went to the next level with greed and micro transactions and the community went ballistic as they should have. That was a pure greed/pay to win problem on EAs part.  They screwed themselves with that.

Micro tranactions are what they are, they (EA) made them something next level and got bit in the azz because of it.

and , as I posted.. this is all opinion stuff. We are just discussing 2x topics and possible ideas for removing/fixing it/making it better

I still hold the bottom line opinion that WC needs to fix/optimize their core game first no matter what.

That might get people to play all day everyday.

and fyi, I only log into SW:Battlefront 2 to get my daily crate and log out..I don't even play it (its not that fun)

-Cob

Been playing since release on xbox and suffered through true 1x forever.  Then we got a couple 2x evo events when scorched first hit, presumably because the release was a disaster and they had to update 3 times a day for weeks.  Then rates went perma 2x and we had 1.5x evo events (for a total of 3x original rates).  Then they reduced overall resource harvest and made evo events 2x.  What we see today is really 2x taming, 1.5x harvesting, and ~2x EXP (they lowered alpha xp by half at some point). 

I absolutely refuse to grind resources or tame during the week.  Taming during the week is useless.  You will get better dinos 9/10 times for half the price and time if wait for 2x.  I've come up with some 1x rate tasks that I do during the week and 2x tasks for the weekend.  I make sure to grind enough resources and the tames I need during the events so I don't have to grind during the week.  1x activities include drop running, boss fights, cave runs, tribute gathering, building and raising babies (even though meat runs make my head explode on 1x, but still doable).

In my opinion, they should increase rates to perma 2x, which would be essentially 4x.  They should reduce SPECIFIC resource gains, like chitin, raw prime, mutton, meat (to a small extent), pearls (really these should be a lot rarer) and a couple others.  Metal should stay at its current rate or even go higher.  With the weight restrictions, you aren't giving us too much by having it be perma 2x harvesting.

Charcoal should burn faster and be harvestable somewhere on all maps.  Adv Rifle rounds should craft 3 per craft.  A few taming times should be revisited, like Theris, even on 2x it's WAY too slow.  Raising should be made perma 2x as well, with the max raise taking 7 days.  Quetz should be a 5 day raise and have a 6 hour incubation, giga 7 days, paracer/bronto should be 6 days.  Paracer/Bronto should also drain food 3x faster once raised to make keeping them alive a chore.  Once out of food their HP should drop like a stone.

Hard poly cost should be reduced to 1cp per 2 obsidian, organic poly weight should be 5 per stack of 15.  Smithies should have 85 slots, fabricators should have 75.  Large storage boxes should have 100 slots (like prim+).  Dinos shouldn't auto-decay at all on PVP and cables/genny/outlet should be considered AT LEAST stone tier with regard to auto decay, thus matching maximum amount of run time on a generator.

While we're at it, all work on new DLCs should stop and bug fixes and, specifically Rag, lag fixes should be implemented.  Triple the amount of available center servers for xbox at least, update the average spawning level of dinos on Island, scorched and Ab to match Center/Rag (level 150's spawn like crazy there, barely so on the WC official maps).  Boost quetz and argie sprint speed by 25% or have some custom food or ability we can use to give them the boost at the cost of higher stamina drain.  Chaingun turrets should hit ridden dinos from their old range, which was pretty much unlimited, but only hit unridden or unaggro'd dinos within 27 foundations.

Unfortunatley what I am getting from this thread is that whether you agree or disagree with removing Evo-events,  we can all agree that during the week the majority are only playing it for base maintenance, cooking kibble, looking for loot drops, cave runs etc. I think this is a shame that the Evo Weekends have structured the loyal player base into playing it Mon-Thursday simply to do trivial/boring tasks because it would be considered a waste when compared to doing it on the weekend. Is this how a game should be played? Is this how any other game is intended to be played to this extent? 

I have played this since Jan 2016, and despite the extremely difficult grind rates that was on the game back then, I guarantee I was more motivated to play the game every day of the week then, than I am today.

So personally I believe that to all those people who refuse to play without Evo events, clearly unofficial/boosted is for you. Restore the game back to how it used to be (No or extremely rare Evo events) , and the loyal player base who was playing back then will still be playing now

11 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Or like op suggested just make it permanent x2 all week so people don't feel unmotivated on weekdays. The common thing on a Monday is peopel moaping around not doing anything because rates feel too low and the common complaint is that it' gone back to old x1 not normal x1 after the event because it feels so grindy. Permanent x2 is what we need so you can play all w3ek not just on weekends 

When I left Officials (for a few reasons) I found that I prefer 4-5x servers. For me it's the perfect balance...higher than that seems cheesy, less than that feels grindy. At that time official rates were 0.5x their current setting. That official rate was doubled, and now people want it doubled again permanently. Compared to when I left them, official rates are now the equivalent  of 4x...which coincidentally is the exact same rate that I originally left Official rates behind for.

So let's say Wildcard caved. How long before people start demanding bonus weekends on top of that?  4-5x is still enough for me, so what will be enough for the official players making these demands? How many times is Wildcard going to have to boost the rates on official? Perma 2x? 3x? Perma 5x with 2x weekends and 3x holidays? Then maybe an extra 2x as compensation when the evo events aren't on time? Will that get people to stop demanding higher rates?

Sheesh, so much angst from people about what is "right".  Game.  It is a game.  I think the point is that WC should do what motivates the most people to play on their servers the most often, because that is the biz they are in.  I know that I am more likely to try to get on and tame stuff on weekends because of the higher rates.  This gives me a sense of looking forward to what I am going to do, and keeps me more engaged.  I have been playing since the start, and keeping me engaged is not as easy as it used to be.  I think they are smart in trying to find ways to keep people looking forward to logging in for events.  They should automate the 2x on weekends so it is always consistent though, then people will not complain when it doesn't start at the same times as the previous week.  And yes, I think some people would quit playing official if they dropped the 2x events, but I really doubt anyone would quit because they continue.

Absolutely not to microtransactions. Why would you even suggest this? You want to ruin the game?

Now.. I'm on the fence with evo events. I was a solo player for a long time, and I was able to get a lot more done on the weekend, though I played throughout the week as well. If they scrap the event, then increase the standard rate. It would be cool to see different types of events done periodically. Now that my boyfriend has joined me and there are 2 of us, it's a lot better. We aren't a tribe of 5 or 10, so it's still a lengthy process sometime, but it's a lot better than just me doing everything. 

Now, if wildcard is hurting for money to properly take care of it's playerbase, I had an idea for that too. Take a page from League of Legend's book. Sell skins that have 0 effect on the game for real money, but also make those skins something that could be farmed for within the game. There's plenty of people that would buy them just so they wouldn't have to farm. There could be different skins for tools, for weapons, for armor.. for saddles. They could be 1 time use skins that you don't respawn with. You could either pay a few bucks for that really cool saddle skin you want, or you could spend hours farming caves and drops for them. That way everyone has access without spending real money, but for people that want them now or don't want to farm, they could also get it. Wildcard makes money, players get more neat stuff, everyone benefits. 

Does everyone here use an Argie and a pick to farm metal or other resources? I would not be surprised as I see this quite often on servers, or a Wyvern and a Pick I see lots of times also.

Sure does sound like it. 

On regular harvest rates, we can fill one forge in less than 20 minutes. on an X2 it becomes 2 forges. 

Almost all resources can be gathered at these rates or faster.

There are certain tweaks on harvesting I think could be made but mostly I feel taming and raise times are very balanced. 

In my opinion not everybody should be able to raise a Giga, or a Quetzal, or a Yuty, or any of these other immensely important dino's. I think it should require a healthy amount of time to get these dino's that just make the game so much easier. 

I struggle with meat runs during the week on rag while I'm working and only have a few hours to play since there's not a large concentration of animal's where I'm built up. The runs have made me more aware of what drops what and what it takes to kill them. I bypass megalania's which drop nothing but go hard after hyena's which drop a ton. Meat drops may be the only thing I wish was 2x its current rate. I feel fine harvesting metal, wood, berries, obsidian, crystal, flowers, mushrooms, organic poly, thatch, etc. If you have the right dino's for the job it can actually be a very relaxing and peaceful experience and really gives you a chance to observe and appreciate the great design put into the maps. 

I'm a broken record here but if I can harvest 5k ing worth of metal in 45 minutes on 1x with a couple good Anky's and riding a Thorny for an increase in speed node to node, I think that's a great rate for metal.

If I can fill a 2k weight Mammoth with a Theri and a walk in an hour, I think that's a great rate. 

Meat harvest is probably the only thing I'd change rate wise. I use a 640% melee Wyvern as my meat runner and it takes 4 trips and about 100 rare flowers to fill 16 fridges which is a bit paltry. I'd say up that to 2x the rate and harvesting balance would be perfect. 

Keep evo events on weekends.....x2 harvesting and breeding...On Rag'nar 208 Offic'.. we get capped pretty fast on weekends so i use the x2 to smack out large structures like Beo-gates.. I breed during the week / or tame.. when the cap drops.,(because most tribes arn't breeding 20dragons during the week). I too work and have limited time during the week to play, so for me the weekend bonuses ARE bonuses...Maybe Poll this topic.. I vote Keep x2 on weekends..

Oh thankx Devs for the roo Pouch..its not often we get a time saving update, we time starved players do Appreciate it..:D

18 minutes ago, Gogohorse said:

From the looks of things this argument has two sides, the people who want to waist hours of their life grinding for resources and the people who don’t.

Perhaps more accurately the twp sides of the argument would be "the people who want to waste hours of their life grinding for resources, and the people who prefer to waste hours of their life throwing tantrums when a weekend doesn't have the particular event they want."  :D

It’s supposed to be a challenging game guys and girls! If it was the Evo events all the time it would soon get boring and you would have no sense of achievement because it would be so easy! When it takes you 3 hours to tame something you feel like you deserve it! I think how it is now is perfect as you have jobs to do in the week and prepare for the weekend of tames and get your eggs ready and cooked for the breeding events, don’t shoot yourself in the foot they don’t have to put on these events on for us 

jaxs ?

5 hours ago, Gogohorse said:

From the looks of things this argument has two sides, the people who want to waist hours of their life grinding for resources and the people who don’t.

This argument has multiple sides. The point I am making is that in the past most of the people who felt like official rates were too low left for unofficial, where they could play with the settings they prefer. Many others seem to prefer staying on official. Many of those official players seem to enjoy mocking unofficial players for not playing the "real" game whilst demanding changes to official to make it more like unofficial. If you were to narrow this argument down to its fundamental core, it's about cognitive dissonance.

Definitely not. 

I play in a 2man tribe with a real life mate on official PS4. We both love the game and we make a LOT of time for it, we have too as a duo. We can only play from midnight to around 3/4 on any given night due to having partners (boo). 

Within this context, x2 is a god send. On 1x rates we have never been able to achieve anything except on no-tame, taming any major dino just out of the question - we dont have the time!! 

In megatribes and alliances 1x seems fine when youve already got the dinos or youve got 8+ guys helping you but for small tribes like us its a totally different story.

We are resilient but when we get hit (and as duos we expect this) we NEED 2x rates to recover. This game is too time consuming to be fun without regular 2x weekends, we simply wouldnt play.

If it is not 2x this weekend because of the valentines event, we wont be playing. Its just not even worth it. 

This is turning into a bit of a rant, so to offer WC some advice, up rates and tame to 2x PERMANENTLY. Big tribes and megatribes are already swimming in resources so it wont hurt them at all, but for the casuals who you NEED it would help us a lot.

This is a hardcore game and everyone loves that, but on 2x it is still hardcore, just a little less punushing for the wee guys trying to scrape a little patch of land out for themselves.

Remove the events without upping rates and us little guys WILL LEAVE, say what you want about "expecting it", i bought this game in October, it has always been 2x for me, there is no "going back" its too late for that, new players like myself think this is the norm and it basically is by this point.

Archived