Should Evolution Events almost every weekend come to an end?

jackthelad

Do you think that double harvesting & taming on weekends should stop? 

In my opinion and a lot of my tribemates, when weekend rates first became a thing we thought it was a awesome to begin with,  however as time has gone on and double harvest and taming weekends seem to become the norm,  I feel it is bringing more negatives than positives to the official servers. Unfortunatley,  the general motivation to go out and farm resources,  or tame a high level dino through the week is much lower for a lot of people than it would be compared to the weekend.  I mean after all,  whats the point in wasting your time doing something that can be done twice as fast if you can wait until the weekend?

Personally,  I feel WildCard should either leave the rates as they are or have weekend rates as standard official rates,  and scrap evolution events unless for rare occasions.  This way the motivation to do a task and play the game will be just as high for people every day of the week. 

What's everyone else's thoughts? 

TLDR;  Are regular weekend Evolution Events (double harvesting and taming) causing people to lose motivation to tame and farm during the week when they can spend half the time doing it on weekends? 

Simple answer is if that happened I wouldn't even bother to play at all.

There are far more optimized and properly working multiplayer games I would be better off spending my time on and also might spend my extra money on in game transactions even.

I supported Wildcard  when I; 1. bought ARK (early access) 2. bought Scorched Earth (but never set foot there) 3. Bought the season pass for Aberration. 4. I bought my daughter the complete full version after release.

I've only played on Center to begin with (now a legacy server) and now I play on Aberration and I mostly enjoy it.

I'll see your event removal and raise you one,

Take the event out and add in game transactions for example, for 99 cents I get a Strawberry Cake that when I eat it it gives me 48hours of 2x.

I have extra money I might spend on that and I would have the choice to do 2x when I want to.

Heres where that gets telling for Wildcard.

I play multiple games and several free to play ones on my pad/phone.

I have no problem giving those game makers that I enjoy   .99 to 9.99 every so often for in game purchases so now Wildcard would have to compete for my 99 cents plus...

-Maybe- that would give them incentive to fix their core game first and treat their users better. I dont know. Otherwise I just spend my 99cents somewhere else.

As it is now, they have our money we spent and no incentive to assist us further.

Thoughts?

-Cob

btw: I only play official also

Scrap the evo events but double the standard rates.  Its no longer a special event being held every weekend, and makes you wonder why they dont double the rates if its that constant. People just expect evo events now. Would be nice to see rarer events and varied types of events. 

Then again I have no horses in this race as I no longer play official so I dont know why I actually care lol. 

4 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Scrap the evo events but double the standard rates.  Its no longer a special event being held every weekend, and makes you wonder why they dont double the rates if its that constant. People just expect evo events now. Would be nice to see rarer events and varied types of events. 

Then again I have no horses in this race as I no longer play official so I dont know why I actually care lol. 

I'm not quite there yet, still playing officials.. only just dabbled on unofficial

• Volunteer Moderator
41 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

What I think is most internet browsers have the capability to zoom in on text if needed so no need for massive font that takes up way to much unnecessary space and scrolling.

However, as for Evolution Events I feel that if they were to be stopped completely now, then they would probably lose a lot of players, particularly those that only make an effort to play at the weekends because of the events.

Now there's a difference between "should they" stop the events, and "if they" stop the events. So what I said was in relation to "if".

As for "should they" then I think yes, however, it depends on the Devs reasons for doing it in the first place. The Evo Events started off as being a random thing, it may happen, it may not, but it pretty much instantly became a regular thing every single week.

What that resulted in was the expectation from players of an event every single weekend, and if there wasn't one there was outrage. Then there was the outrage of the fact they were never started at the same time every week (yes Wildcard could have timed them better to happen at the same time each week, but they didn't, but that doesn't stop people complaining about the same thing every single week).

Then, 2x became permanent, that was great, people (in general) were happy. Then not long after, 2x started again at weekends. Big mistake to make. Now people still expect 2x every single weekend without fail, and complain every single weekend without fail because it's "late".

Every single time the ARK Devs tweet something out, 99% of the replies are are we getting 2x breeding?, even if the tweet has nothing to do with the Evo events, and even if their tweet has nothing to do with ARK, they still get "are we getting 2x breeding".

Now I must admit, Wildcard has brought this on themselves by introducing the Evo Events in the first place. The Playerbase can't be blamed for that, and can't be blamed for expecting Evo Events every weekend. But the playerbase can be blamed for the childish way they act every single weekend without fail!

So YES, Evo Events should end! They should have ended at the point 2x became permanent.

3 minutes ago, Hobgobblin247 said:

I'm not quite there yet, still playing officials.. only just dabbled on unofficial

Gave up at the turn of legacy. I keep thinking about returning for the giggles but I like not having the game running my life hahaha. Just saved my nitrado servers last night at the eleventh  hour before the axe as friends decided to play again.

Also should have said that the evo events were good but the problem is it was always a bit of a middle finger to those of us regularly working weekends. Personally events, what ever form they take should be rare and over a period of a week so everyone can get a chance at them. 

Evolution events do contribute to a decline in players during the week and I agree there isn't much incentive to tame dinos during the week. That said if taken away a lot of players would probably stop playing all together.

I would be favour of raising the Official rates to 2x permanently. Its pretty extreme to expect players to spend 6 hours taming an Anklo or Doed on Aberration or any creature for that matter. This would be good for PVP since players and tribes can build up faster after getting wiped. As well less time required for farming is more time for slaughter.

Apologies for extreme large text,  my mobile phone has dodgy default browser settings. 

In response to people saying if they stopped it people would quit,  why not (for the 2nd time unfortunately)  have the double rate as standard and LEAVE it like that.  That way people who was only prepared to play for weekend rates will still play? 

26 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

Apologies for extreme large text,  my mobile phone has dodgy default browser settings. 

In response to people saying if they stopped it people would quit,  why not (for the 2nd time unfortunately)  have the double rate as standard and LEAVE it like that.  That way people who was only prepared to play for weekend rates will still play? 

This in my opinion would cause the same issues because people are visual.. we like to see something or results. Right now your giving me 2x (again technically 4x) I see the words that say that and I see the effects. I look forward to 2x.

If you just give it (2x again) I eventually would feel like I'm not getting anything special anymore (as evidenced by the fact we really are at 2x already from the past)

And to new people this new technical 4x would be the norm and they would want to visually 'see' something special or feel they are occasionally being tossed a bone by yet another visual 2x etc etc...

I'm not apt to play a game for years that I just log in and nothing cool or out of the ordinary happens in.

Right now I look forward to the very few events and 2x.

Which gives me time to play other games and/or try things that I might like better or feel better about.

I would love to be 'all on board' with ARK, its a great concept but haphazardly executed...

-Cob

I think so. Frankly, I've thought the bonus weekends were a dumb idea since day one. There are WAY too many gamers who simply aren't mature enough to grasp that they aren't entitled to a bonus. Similarly, I'm of the opinion that the "I require a bonus on official servers every weekend or I'll quit" mindset is flat out dumb. If you're only willing to play the game with boosted rates, go play on servers with boosted rates like the rest of us who don't want to invest the kind of time required on official servers. Simple. 

I’d actually like to see them just up the maturation rates. Harvest is fine, it’s a game of grinding. An 18 hour baby stage..... pretty excessive. The reason I would like to see them go is the increased lag. Currently I’m typing this uninterrupted by my Game because it’s in a massive lag spike where I can run around but nothing registers. Can’t open doors, feed babies, time stands still. This happens at an increased rate every weekend, but during maturation events? Oh boy. To put it into perspective- our flock of gigas was set to turn to Juvy at exactly 9pm. Worked out nice. It’s now 11:27 and we’re at 5.7% matured. It’s basically taking double the amount of time from what is intended. Mind blowing. 

Guest DJRone89

So my understanding is that people enjoy the standard evo events and some only play the game for that bonus. As others have so rightly mentioned, the devs should just hardcode those specific rates again.

Now, what you’re left with, is the evo breeding events. These can either remain as they are, once a month or so, or like the standard evo event, removed and hardcoded into the game too.

Everyone’s happy.

On another note, when evo events first came about, it took many weeks for the above to take place (excluding breeding rates), but was done so due to the reception of the events. The devs have allowed a bonus to escalate and turned it into an expectation, but it’s made worse by the fact that many servers are tame capped to even enjoy it and most likely became that way because of the frequency of the events.

13 hours ago, Cobreean said:

There are far more optimized and properly working multiplayer games I would be better off spending my time on and also might spend my extra money on in game transactions even.

I supported Wildcard  when I; 1. bought ARK (early access) 2. bought Scorched Earth (but never set foot there) 3. Bought the season pass for Aberration. 4. I bought my daughter the complete full version after release.

I've only played on Center to begin with (now a legacy server) and now I play on Aberration and I mostly enjoy it.

Take the event out and add in game transactions for example, for 99 cents I get a Strawberry Cake that when I eat it it gives me 48hours of 2x.

I have extra money I might spend on that and I would have the choice to do 2x when I want to.

I have no problem giving those game makers that I enjoy   .99 to 9.99 every so often for in game purchases so now Wildcard would have to compete for my 99 cents plus...

-Maybe- that would give them incentive to fix their core game first and treat their users better. I dont know. Otherwise I just spend my 99cents somewhere else.

As it is now, they have our money we spent and no incentive to assist us further.

Thoughts?

-Cob

Gross. That would ruin the game you derp.

16 hours ago, GP said:

What I think is most internet browsers have the capability to zoom in on text if needed so no need for massive font that takes up way to much unnecessary space and scrolling.

However, as for Evolution Events I feel that if they were to be stopped completely now, then they would probably lose a lot of players, particularly those that only make an effort to play at the weekends because of the events.

Now there's a difference between "should they" stop the events, and "if they" stop the events. So what I said was in relation to "if".

As for "should they" then I think yes, however, it depends on the Devs reasons for doing it in the first place. The Evo Events started off as being a random thing, it may happen, it may not, but it pretty much instantly became a regular thing every single week.

What that resulted in was the expectation from players of an event every single weekend, and if there wasn't one there was outrage. Then there was the outrage of the fact they were never started at the same time every week (yes Wildcard could have timed them better to happen at the same time each week, but they didn't, but that doesn't stop people complaining about the same thing every single week).

Then, 2x became permanent, that was great, people (in general) were happy. Then not long after, 2x started again at weekends. Big mistake to make. Now people still expect 2x every single weekend without fail, and complain every single weekend without fail because it's "late".

Every single time the ARK Devs tweet something out, 99% of the replies are are we getting 2x breeding?, even if the tweet has nothing to do with the Evo events, and even if their tweet has nothing to do with ARK, they still get "are we getting 2x breeding".

Now I must admit, Wildcard has brought this on themselves by introducing the Evo Events in the first place. The Playerbase can't be blamed for that, and can't be blamed for expecting Evo Events every weekend. But the playerbase can be blamed for the childish way they act every single weekend without fail!

So YES, Evo Events should end! They should have ended at the point 2x became permanent.

Sounds like they should bite the bullet and make the current 2x perminant and eliminate the EVO events ?.

Then instead of a random event, with everything set to the current 2x, every 2nd weekend of the month  (for example) do a breeding event. That way the core 3 rates always stay the same but once a month we get a little incentive to breeding. And if that's not enough for some individuals, unofficial is just a few clicks away.

18 hours ago, Cobreean said:

Thoughts?

-Cob

No to micro transactions. It will just unbalance to game even further. 

19 hours ago, Cobreean said:

You would still play if they removed weekend events.

So the one thing that is keeping you playing is the x2 events on weekend?

AND a big fat NO to the other ideas, I won't even repeat them they are such a bad idea.

20 hours ago, jackthelad said:

In my opinion and a lot of my tribemates, when weekend rates first became a thing we thought it was a awesome to begin with,  however as time has gone on and double harvest and taming weekends seem to become the norm,  I feel it is bringing more negatives than positives to the official servers. Unfortunatley,  the general motivation to go out and farm resources,  or tame a high level dino through the week is much lower for a lot of people than it would be compared to the weekend.  I mean after all,  whats the point in wasting your time doing something that can be done twice as fast if you can wait until the weekend?

Personally,  I feel WildCard should either leave the rates as they are or have weekend rates as standard official rates,  and scrap evolution events unless for rare occasions.  This way the motivation to do a task and play the game will be just as high for people every day of the week. 

What's everyone else's thoughts? 

TLDR;  Are regular weekend Evolution Events (double harvesting and taming) causing people to lose motivation to tame and farm during the week when they can spend half the time doing it on weekends? 

No no no, just no. I am dedicated and play all the time but I work! And I’m a solo player! I don’t choose to be solo but I can’t find people that are open to/ right fit to make a tribe. The weekends are great to have the event and give me a chance to actually get things done, even then it’s slow progress. If the events at the weekend went away I would be so de motivated and annoyed. Keep double harvest and tame speed all weekends!

20 minutes ago, AnnabelTamara said:

No no no, just no. I am dedicated and play all the time but I work! And I’m a solo player! I don’t choose to be solo but I can’t find people that are open to/ right fit to make a tribe. The weekends are great to have the event and give me a chance to actually get things done, even then it’s slow progress. If the events at the weekend went away I would be so de motivated and annoyed. Keep double harvest and tame speed all weekends!

Or like op suggested just make it permanent x2 all week so people don't feel unmotivated on weekdays. The common thing on a Monday is peopel moaping around not doing anything because rates feel too low and the common complaint is that it' gone back to old x1 not normal x1 after the event because it feels so grindy. Permanent x2 is what we need so you can play all w3ek not just on weekends 

Microtransactions ruined star wars battlefront 2 so bad, even Disney told EA enough, I think, that pretty much being said, is a terrible idea, bar none, as for the 2x events? I am on the fence with it, its good for resource collecting and such, maintaining your base and keeping everything running, changing the parameters to permanent would work also, breeding though needs to be consistent, there is a lot of changes that need to be done, there is a lot of long term grindy to this game that needs to be phased out somehow or improved upon. the 2x should stay regular and have evo events on breeding and egg/baby maturation and once a month would work just fine for that. ive done gigas on normal time so, id be welcome to have the evo breeding ones, if they can get the new timer issues adjusted, still not making 100% on giga on normal time, needs some....slight adjustment there

i think wildcard should realize that pvp and pve should have different set of rules and rates. pve game should have lower xp so progress takes longer and that people dont have insta unlocked engrams as in pve development is part of story. pvp should have boosted rates as there is pointless to spend taming animal for hours and to have it killed over night. so at least x2 rates should be permanent. weekend evolution events are great. lot of people dont have time for time demanding game ark is over work week. even i prefer to play something with shorter time investment like pubg or bf1. but on weekends, when i have time to play longer, i prefer ark

I'd like to keep the events.

You can always just farm mats on the weekend and spend the rest of the week building if you feel like farming without event sucks.

Not playing during the week is even more "lost progress" than playing at regular rates.

If someone really hates the regular rates, they can always do caves, boss fights, loot crates, steal eggs, trade, explore the map, visit neighbours, paint dinos and buildings, cook kibble etc.

Archived