Tansfering from Official PVE to a Player Dedicated server?

Ice1089

Hello all,

I have tried to find information on this, but I may be looking for it in the wrong way. In my time playing on Offical servers, I have noticed pillars everywhere, it is practically impossibly to build anything. I am new to the game and want to find someplace that my two sons and I can play together without the annoying tether. I have set up a small base on a server, but now I can not even finish some of the walls due to pillars that have been appearing around my base. Limiting what I can do.

I am seriously thinking about changing servers, but what PVE server? I like the Official servers, but all I seem to read about, is how toxic they are or have become. I have also thought about creating a dedicated server on my Win 10 laptop and playing via cross-server. Can I transfer my charater, dinos and items from an official server to a player dedicated server? Will I lose everything if I try? I know I am new, and have not accumulated a lot of stuff. That doesn't mean I want to lose anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 minutes ago, RasFW said:

I heard you can. The private server has to be set up to allow transfers from any server, tho. 

I've never hosted but I heard it was possible to open that up.

Never in my 2+ years of playing Ark have I heard of people being able to do this. Pretty sure it’s impossible to transfer from official to unofficial and vice versa. Otherwise we’d have people spawning in lvl 500 million gigas and then transferring them to official.

4 minutes ago, Royalstar said:

Never in my 2+ years of playing Ark have I heard of people being able to do this. Pretty sure it’s impossible to transfer from official to unofficial and vice versa. Otherwise we’d have people spawning in lvl 500 million gigas and then transferring them to official.

I heard it was possible to transfer official to unofficial if the unofficial was set up to be a cluster server without a cluster ID. Official has a unique cluster ID, and therefore only accepts downloads from servers with the same ID. A blank ID was like a wild card. Again, I never hosted but I remember hearing this was possible.

4 minutes ago, Royalstar said:

Far as i know it has to be on the same cluster network not just the propper settings in the ini. official to unofficial just doesnt work

However!! when they started shutting down legacys they released the Old official save files.. (Assuming you have your own server Or are playing SP)..Using THAT you can load up the savefile from officials.. upload into an obi.. Then load up normal savefile.. And download your dinos. GL getting a recent savefile tho..

Still completely different from simply transferring

Guest DJRone89
3 minutes ago, RasFW said:

I heard it was possible to transfer official to unofficial if the unofficial was set up to be a cluster server without a cluster ID. Official has a unique cluster ID, and therefore only accepts downloads from servers with the same ID. A blank ID was like a wild card. Again, I never hosted but I remember hearing this was possible.

Nope. You can download repurposed Legacy official server saves though.

No you definitely cannot transfer anything from official to unofficial, unless you were granted access to the official servers saves (which only happened to the closed Legacy servers).

I don't get why so many people dislike starting over in Ark...it's in the nature of the game. And if/when the OP finds a nice unofficial or better yet, host it himself, then he'll get what he wants. a nice place to play the game with his two sons and a place to play on until they get tired of the game. I can think of worse things to do in Ark than rebuilding with your friends (but don't get me wrong, it's something one can only endure so many times before it gets dull and annoying).

Thank you to everyone for your replies to my question. I thought that it might not be possible, but I wanted to know more. I did not want to setup a dedicated server, upload my character, dinos, etc. only to find out that I can not download them and potentially lose them. I guess it really is not so much starting over, but to lose the dinos I have managed to collect at this stage, to a rash or impulse move, would be silly. I really do enjoy the people on the server that I play, it is a great community. The only draw back is the amount of pillars everywhere. Plus there are some that are less than hospitable. Yet again that can be said for any aspect of online gaming or even irl.

Thank you all again for your replies, it does clear up the ambiguity. :)

On 2/14/2018 at 9:27 AM, Ice1089 said:

Thank you to everyone for your replies to my question. I thought that it might not be possible, but I wanted to know more. I did not want to setup a dedicated server, upload my character, dinos, etc. only to find out that I can not download them and potentially lose them. I guess it really is not so much starting over, but to lose the dinos I have managed to collect at this stage, to a rash or impulse move, would be silly. I really do enjoy the people on the server that I play, it is a great community. The only draw back is the amount of pillars everywhere. Plus there are some that are less than hospitable. Yet again that can be said for any aspect of online gaming or even irl.

It might help you to know that if you set up your own dedicated server you can use Admin/Cheat commands to re-create all of the dinos you had on your Official PvE server.

Of course, you won't get to keep the levels that they earned after you tamed them, but you can make up for that by assigning them a higher level when you tame them.

If you're going to try a dedicated server that you allow other players to play on, you need to be careful not to give yourself free stuff unless you're going to give it to other players also, otherwise you're basically cheating on your own server. But if you plan to play solo, or your only goal is to re-create what you had on the Official server, that's something you can do without too much trouble. Creating the dedicated server is the hard part, after that the Admin commands are easy to learn.

8 hours ago, Yster said:

you said your new to the game.. just start over on unofficial. 

I have thought about it, quite a bit actually. I have been blessed by some of the players on this server. They have given me high level tames, some that I know I would not attempt to tame anytime soon. Granted it is only a game, but I feel torn between, not wanting to give up the dino's I have, and the ability to play and build with my children in an area that would allow us to build a base that does not look like a piece of a puzzle due to all the pillars.

I know I have a lot more to learn, and figure out what design works better. Someday...maybe

I know I am far from any sort of veteran player, but as time goes on, I seem to interact more with some of the people on the server. There really are some great people on the server, very helpful with tips and help if needed. I could seek out the owners of the pillars as mentioned by "Milsurp", Thank you by the way!!  I have not as of yet asked them, I have been hesitant as I am not out to upset anyone, or make it seem as though I am encroaching on their territory. I am finding that, while there are pillars all over, there are still some places available. It just takes time to find an area. I have a main (for now) base, and am in the process of scouting other areas that would be open to a larger complex if needed. I have not completely ruled out moving from official to private.  I would like to thank everyone for your replies, they have been most informative and helpful!!

Archived