Best way to solo tame carnivores

AnnabelTamara

Hi guys. I saw a video that building a 1x1 stone foundation with 3 walls, 1 door and doorframe and then building doorways all around the second floor with a roof was the best way. Is this still the case? In the video he could shoot the rex/ any large aggressive carnivore and it couldn’t touch him. Is this the best way/ any other good ways? I am at the moment solo playing as the tribe leader I am with never is online... any tips wecome as I need to take on carnivores and keep dying when I use traps/ am not always lucky to find a good cliff to shoot from.

The best way to solo tame in my opinion is to trap them using bear traps and then shooting them with tranqs. I'm pretty sure that you should wait at least three or five seconds before shooting them so you can get the most out of your tranq arrows. Have a flier next you just in case that dino gets too close. Encasing a dino with gateway or walls will help a lot just in case they don't run off.

Not always an option especially on PvE with pillar issues and what not and not the most economical on the resource front but I love using a traditional pitfall trap type trap. Just kite the carnivore of your choice over the ramp and into the trap where it cant escape leaving you free to shoot away. Once tamed just walk out dino gate/behomoth gate. Granted it is a little resource heavy, at least the design I use

I don't think there is one answer. 

Small carnivore: Raptor, saber, wolf, carno, etc just leading them to a ledge and shooting down works fine. Sometimes I will just land my argent with solid health and a decent saddle close and let them attack it and shoot at them until they are knocked out. Other times I can pick them up with a flyer and drop in a pen/cage with no ceiling. 

Large carnivore: Rex, allo, etc leading to a cliff can be very effective, not always available. You can build a container and just build what works best for you. I like to build one where one wall is a ramp and I can literally fly over it and they will walk up ramp and fall in then they can't get out. Be sure to build in a material the target can not destroy. I also like to kill any wild other dinos around so they don't get distracted while I am trying to lead them. Sometimes I just sit on top of my quetz or now my Griffin and shoot them. The beauty of this game is there are multiple ways to accomplish the same goal. 

Experiment and get creative. 

The easiest way for me was always getting a frog mount because they are more than fast enough to outrun/keep up with any land predator. Since you can shoot off the back of it you can just chase your catch down without having to waste time building cages and it's jumps will very easily keep you at a safe distance.

It does take a little practice aiming and shooting while on the move but once I did get used to it my rate of taming became much more efficient.

I use many different ways...

Taming raft with gates for walls, ive tamed large ones like spinos and rex with this.. Lure and trap, place last gate behind it

Rocks and cliffs work to keep away from the teeth

Ive used pillars and ladders when i first started out

Ive also used Tanks to just let the aggressive carnivore chomp on your dino, a turtle or something with high hp works

Lately all i use are large bear traps and several gates.. One opening.. Lure giga in and let it step on the beartrap inside the gates.. Place last gate to box it in. Start tranqs

5 hours ago, AnEliteDolphin said:

The best way to solo tame in my opinion is to trap them using bear traps and then shooting them with tranqs. I'm pretty sure that you should wait at least three or five seconds before shooting them so you can get the most out of your tranq arrows. Have a flier next you just in case that dino gets too close. Encasing a dino with gateway or walls will help a lot just in case they don't run off.

Why wait a few seconds? I tried this and they usually just break the trap...

For fun, try the Dewey Method; 

Dump a whole lot of points into movement speed, stay ahead of your target, turn, shoot, (assess distance), maybe reload and shoot again, or reload while turning and running more. For targets with wider turn radius, get behind them, shoot while they circle around to you, then buzz past them so they have to turn around again. You might get bit now and then, so be extra careful using this method on high level tames and larger carnivores, even wearing decent armor. 

Archived