What is mutating and how can I do it?

Gogohorse

Hi, I have heard about mutations and have been wanting to try them. Just so you know everything I am going to say comes from a completely inexperienced view point so please don’t judge me. So, I’ve heard that you can mutate the stats on your Dinos and the colors and want to do it myself. I have a couple of dodo eggs to practice on if I need to experiment, but I really want the black dodo of doom!

27 minutes ago, Gogohorse said:

Hi, I have heard about mutations and have been wanting to try them. Just so you know everything I am going to say comes from a completely inexperienced view point so please don’t judge me. So, I’ve heard that you can mutate the stats on your Dinos and the colors and want to do it myself. I have a couple of dodo eggs to practice on if I need to experiment, but I really want the black dodo of doom!

Ok, so the Reader's Digest Condensed Version: (I'm not going into raw numbers) 

Every time you breed two animals together there is a chance they will get the stats from either parent. The same goes for the colors of the parents. 

In most cases, they will get combinations of the stats and colors from their parents, but every so often (pretty rare) one of the stats or one of the colors will change to something new. It's a random roll of the dice, really.

If you're breeding for stats, you'll want to read up a lot on the topic to make sure you have a plan and a methodology. There are plenty of how-to guides on that topic that will be far better than anything I can type up here in one post.

If you're breeding for color, you'll want quantity. Sheer quantity is the best way to get colors. The way I do it is to always keep the freshest high level male as the stud, and breed it with all the females. Once the births have matured, if there's a newer male (higher level than the last male), it's your new stud. Breed with EVERY female whenever they're ready. I'll usually incubate them all down to ~10 seconds to go and hatch a couple dozen at a time.

When you finally get a color mutation, your goal is to get that color into a male. If you get a female with a color mutation, keep breeding with that one until you get a male with the color. From that point continue your mass breeding, except this time kill anything that doesn't have the color you want. Over time you'll get different colors and such, but you don't really get to choose what color you get.

It's luck of the draw to get one with a mutated color. It's luck of the draw to get a color you want. It's luck of the draw to get the color you want in the region you want it in. It's a pain in the ass to get all the colors you want in all the regions you want.

Have fun!?

2 minutes ago, Gogohorse said:

Ok, I’m probably going to look into the cheats for color ids. I’m not killing babies.

Well, I'll tell you this...if you ever plan on breeding lots of dinos, you'll have to get real comfortable with it real quick. lol

It used to be really hard to bring myself to do...now I just keep metal arrows on me and plug'em the moment they pop out if they aren't what I want. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
58 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

Uhh...you know you can paint dinos, right?

Color mutations are always better.

Screw the dodo, go for Raptor/Dimorphodon.

3 hours ago, Gogohorse said:

Ok, I’m probably going to look into the cheats for color ids. I’m not killing babies.

Trying for color mutations is fun...I’m trying with dimorphodons and featherlights right now, but I would never kill one of my babies. If I hit tame cap I’ll move to a new game and start all over, so I understand.

Mentioned above, you can use a paintbrush and dye to custom color dinos, or you can use the admin command “settargetdinocolor (region) (color)” to get exactly what you’re looking for: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Color_IDs This page has all the color IDs and info, and the wiki pages for the dinos will tell you exactly what color regions they have.

Good luck trying for a natural color mutation, but in the meantime a black dodo of doom can easily keep you company while you try for it. ?

Have fun!

5 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Хорошо, поэтому The Reader's Digest Condensed Version: (Я не собираюсь вводить сырые числа) 

Каждый раз, когда вы разводите двух животных вместе, есть шанс, что они получат статистику от любого из родителей. То же самое касается цветов родителей. 

В большинстве случаев они получат комбинации характеристик и цветов от своих родителей, но каждый так часто (довольно редко) одна из статистики или один из цветов изменится на что-то новое. На самом деле это случайный бросок кубиков.

Если вы размножаетесь по статистике, вам нужно будет много узнать о теме, чтобы убедиться, что у вас есть план и методология. Есть много практических руководств по этой теме, которые будут намного лучше, чем все, что я могу напечатать здесь в одном сообщении.

Если вы разводитесь по цвету, вам нужно количество. Простое количество - лучший способ получить цвета. То, как я это делаю, - всегда держать самого свежего мужчину высокого уровня в качестве шпильки и разводить его со всеми самками. Как только роды созревают, если есть более новый мужчина (более высокий уровень, чем последний мужчина), это ваш новый шпиль. Порода с КАЖДОЙ женщиной, когда они готовы. Я обычно буду инкубировать их до ~ 10 секунд, чтобы пойти и вылупить пару дюжин за раз.

Когда вы, наконец, получите цветную мутацию, ваша цель - получить этот цвет для мужчины. Если вы получаете женщину с цветовой мутацией, продолжайте размножаться с этим, пока не получите мужчину с цветом. С этого момента продолжайте массовое размножение, за исключением того, что на этот раз убейте все, что вам не нужно. Со временем вы получите разные цвета и такие, но вы действительно не можете выбрать,  какой  цвет вы получите.

Это удача от розыгрыша, чтобы получить один с мутированным цветом. Это удача от розыгрыша, чтобы получить нужный вам цвет. Это удача от розыгрыша, чтобы получить нужный вам цвет в регионе, в котором вы хотите. Это боль в заднице, чтобы получить все цвета, которые вы хотите, во всех регионах, которые вы хотите.

Повеселись!?

In addition to this, I want to say that, as my practice has shown, the frequency of the appearance of colors depends on the number of mutations in the line.
The number of females also, but the main criterion is the least number of mutations. The avalanche of colors was when the number of mutations was 1-3.
With the growth of color began to appear less often.
On legacy, where, for example, the Rex had 64,000 mutations on each side I almost never received new colors. Only sometimes a shade. Never a basic, bright color.

Archived