Ravager - Direwolf - Sabertooth

natman

I am a huge fan of cats in general and i love the sabertooth in ark. Now with the TLC pass the wolf got a beautiful new model and useful features. The sabertooth already had a tlc pass a while ago, but the only thing it really got was a new model (which looks great). So i know this is a biased opinion, but i feel like the sabertooth is a bit neglected. As a small and agile mammal it has a similar position in the game as the direwolf and the ravager from aberration, and they even share the same dragweight, so i thought i´d compare those three.

Below i ranked them after their base stats (and % per level up if stats are same) naming the best one first, then second best and then worst.

• Health: Ravager, Direwolf, Sabertooth
  • Stamina: Ravager, Direwolf, Sabertooth
  • Weight: Ravager, Sabertooth, Direwolf
  • Melee damage: Direwolf, Ravager, Sabertooth
  • Movement speed: Sabertooth, Direwolf, Ravager
  • Specials: Ravager and direwolf have the pack bonus. The ravager has weight reduction on a number of key resources and can climb on ziplines. The wolf got the new sniff abilities. Wolf has no saddle (but according to the ark wiki 40% damage reduction).

So the sabertooth has nothing really. It is (not by much) the fastest of the three and collects chitin/cheratin/hide slightly better than the other two, but thats about it. Its stats are worse and it has no special abilities. Even the purlovia is better. Compared to the pack animals that direwolf and ravager are, i would think the sabertooth being a solitary creature would have better stats, but would be outperformed by a wolf/ravager with active pack bonus.

would be cool to see the sabertooth have increased damage resistance/output against flyers, seeing that it’s a big cat. since it’s so fast and can jump so far, the sabertooth’s bite damage should be increased during mid-jump and should be scaled with how fast you are traveling during the jump. that would make people use the sabertooth much more frequently and would suit its role as a pouncing predator, not being outclassed in almost every way by the thyla.

I would really like to see the sabertooth get something to make it stand out. Maybe some armor piercing on it's attack due to its long teeth. Armor piercing alone would end up making it the go to damage dealer out of the 3 of them when not in a pack. I could also see a sneaking ability which removes it's footstep noises and allows it to do a shortish range Thylo style pounce, stun, and damage effect (Pretty much exactly how the monsters pounced and damaged people in the game Evolve) but purely from the ground. Thylos would still have superior range on it and all their climbing aspects. It would put Saber in a good place. Wolf obviously has the whole pack thing and now the ability to track notes and weakened prey.

While I generally agree that the sabertooth should have some special utility, keep in mind

1. Sabertooth has increased armor over a direwolf via its saddle

2. This was only TLC phase 1. I imagine they will in good time get to a lot of creatures. Phase 1, and the upcoming phase 2 only cover a small amount of creatures in the game.

I like the suggestions demigod made about the saber getting a damage boost if it bites while jumping btw

Baryonyx?? its got the same size hitbox..

For caves the Barry wins hands down.. as good as the wolfs/ravangers/wolfs are.. the Bary is still my fav.. you can breed eggs to hatch at once over a weekend.. where all the rest is a single baby from a female.. and gestation periods can't be done in advance. 

damages is higher. up to 5 times higher when solo.  twice the HP..  swims and spins stun, no oxygen.. 

only drawback is that is doesnt eat meat.. only fishmeat. 

The Smilodon ("Sabertooth") could be made into a very useful mount. Ravagers and Direwolves are pack hunters and get the Pack Buff, so Smilodon should have higher base-stats than both. Its niche ability could be a damage increase against large/medium-sized mammals. This would nicely compliment its affinity for gathering pelt. Big cats are notoriously vicious when it comes to defending their food, so maybe make Prime meat decay slower in its inventory? This would be a nice nod to the aforementioned tendency.

10 hours ago, Yster said:

Baryonyx?? its got the same size hitbox..

For caves the Barry wins hands down.. as good as the wolfs/ravangers/wolfs are.. the Bary is still my fav.. you can breed eggs to hatch at once over a weekend.. where all the rest is a single baby from a female.. and gestation periods can't be done in advance. 

damages is higher. up to 5 times higher when solo.  twice the HP..  swims and spins stun, no oxygen.. 

only drawback is that is doesnt eat meat.. only fishmeat. 

Oh you´re right! Totally forgot about that guy. Has a drag weight of 120 like wolf, saber and ravager and outclasses all 3 of them, except the ravager in weight.

also important to mention: requiring bronto kibble the saber has the hardest kibble of the abovementioned creatures.

Before the original mega dino nerf, Sabers were gods.  My level 60 raw meat tame in a pirmitive saddle could kill anything on the map short of an alpha rex or giga... Alpha Rex finally killed it, but it was close!  After the dino nerf, they're pretty useless.  Thylas act like the original saber used to act and it can climb.

The Smilodon ("Sabertooth") could be made into a very useful mount. Ravagers and Direwolves are pack hunters and get the Pack Buff, so Smilodon should have higher base-stats than both. Its niche ability could be a damage increase against large/medium-sized mammals. This would nicely compliment its affinity for gathering pelt. Big cats are notoriously vicious when it comes to defending their food, so maybe make Prime meat decay slower in its inventory? This would be a nice nod to the aforementioned tendency.
Is it smilodon? I think smilo had short tail. Stronger face

5 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:
On 2/13/2018 at 3:28 AM, Shrekasaurus said:

Is it smilodon? I think smilo had short tail. Stronger face

The dossier refers to them as smilodon brutalis.

These arent exact replicas of the real deal, as per lore

I love the sneak and pounce attack idea, as well as an armor piercing ability due to its long fangs. 

I think base wise, it should at the very least equal the Direwolf in attack damage (33) and not be 80 base hp below the wolf either. I am kind of removing the Ravager from this equation. It's a work of a malfunctioning program so who knows where it drew its inspiration from?

I think at very least sabers new base stats should be

300 hp, 275 stam, 150 oxy, 1200 food, 33 bite damage/35 swipe attack, 200 weight, 132 tamed speed

Saber shouldn't be as far below wolf's hp as it is so bump it up though I still think it should be below the wolf.

Should have higher stamina than a wolf.

Oxy and food are throw away's.

Same bite damage as wolf but with an armor degradation ability

An added swipe attack, I mean it's a cat.

A stun/pinning pounce attack.

Reduced fall damage (think this was actually added),

Maintain weight (think wolf's should actually be raised)

Maintain higher speed. 

I think the slight add on's and upgraded stats will bring the solo saber up to par with the pack wolf. 

Archived