How do you stop your dung beetles from wandering away?

20GT

Guest DJRone89

Doesn’t really matter how you do it, wandering creatures are prone to structure rendering issues.

However, like others have said, the best method for me is the wooden cage.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Last dungbeetle cage I had was in the middle of my egg farm.

Made them a 3x2 box, and had the feed trough in the back edge. Never had issue with them escaping, but had issues opening the door at times.

1 hour ago, IanHighlander said:

Put them in cages

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Wooden_Cage

I've had dung beetles glitch through just about every possible enclosure I've ever made for them, with the exception of the wooden cages, never had a single one get out of these. I now use these for all dung beetles and achatinas.

This is the right way to do it. If i remember correctly cages was been patched to allow small creatures for this specific reason.

2 hours ago, IanHighlander said:

Put them in cages

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Wooden_Cage

I've had dung beetles glitch through just about every possible enclosure I've ever made for them, with the exception of the wooden cages, never had a single one get out of these. I now use these for all dung beetles and achatinas.

I've tried this method many many times and it failed miserably. 

Our trick is to build a double pen. Like in this picture. 

5a81e9c2cc7cd_Sanstitre.thumb.png.3f74f0be8242f42d0c1113d8f232d70b.png

The idea is that the wider space is a level one box, it can be empty, or like in our case, we put a feeding trough and boxes where we store the fert/poop. 

Beetles are in the smaller box that is level two box. Usually they will not glitch thru walls but thru ceilings when they get rendered. Most of the time, they do not glitch, but when they do, they drop down in the level one box area where they are easy to pick up and put back into their holding area. I've had this set up for over a year now and I have never had a beetle escape the 2nd (level 1) box. 

Putting them in a wooden cage is half the answer.  The BACK of the cage needs to be against a wall of some kind.  I have had them get out of cages in the middle of a room.  Never had one get out of a cage that had it's back against a wall.

EDIT: Wooden cages can also be used to keep problem dinos from falling through the floor.  I have put a lot of cages together in a small area, side by side, front to back to create a kind of platform.  I then place my mantises and thylas on top of them.  They don't fall through and end up on the ground below my house.

43 minutes ago, JamesDoty said:

EDIT: Wooden cages can also be used to keep problem dinos from falling through the floor.  I have put a lot of cages together in a small area, side by side, front to back to create a kind of platform.  I then place my mantises and thylas on top of them.  They don't fall through and end up on the ground below my house.

any floor on top of the cages? Screen shot? Curious exactly how you implemented it.

3 minutes ago, SirPeter said:

any floor on top of the cages? Screen shot? Curious exactly how you implemented it.

No floor.   I just built a rectangle about 4 walls long, 2 deep, of cages sitting next to each other, packed pretty close to each other.  If my base from my old legacy server is still up, I will get a pic tonight. 

Only way that worked for me was wooden cages. I built some fancy beetle pen for like nooblets did in one of his videos, but they kept escaping or just vanished without a trace (no death message in tribe log ever). I've never had one escaping from a wooden cage. Well I had, but only when I put 2 in 1 cage. So don't do that.

Here is a pic of how I set up cages for animals to stand on so they don't fall through the floor.  Nothing fancy, but they don't end up on the ground under my house.  The bottom floor of this building is on metal pillars tall enough that a wild giga can not reach the floor from ground.  From the bottom floor, the building is more that three behemouth gates tall.

one.jpg

Archived