Colour Mutations losing value now?

Grandta

this represents the devs catering to the casuals. to people who aren’t dedicated to the game and don’t know how to utilize the more advanced game mechanics, coloring dinos takes too long and requires too much work. so wildcard is pampering players by giving them pre-made mutations that offer colors otherwise unattainable without mutations.

i’m willing to bet that the fourth of july will bring red, white, and blue dinos. i don’t like the idea but it can’t be helped.

Guest DJRone89
8 minutes ago, Demigod said:

this represents the devs catering to the casuals. to people who aren’t dedicated to the game and don’t know how to utilize the more advanced game mechanics, coloring dinos takes too long and requires too much work. so wildcard is pampering players by giving them pre-made mutations that offer colors otherwise unattainable without mutations.

i’m willing to bet that the fourth of july will bring red, white, and blue dinos. i don’t like the idea but it can’t be helped.

The latest conspiracy is now in...

1 hour ago, Demigod said:

Imagine a video game catering to casuals, shocker ! Makes a nice change to the usual full time job this game usually is. How are colour mutations an advanced mechanic anyway, its just chance. Hatch enough eggs and you will get a colour mutation. 

4 hours ago, Grandta said:

With Christmas we had red, green and now we're getting red, white and pink.

Have Dino's with those colours lost value over it?

I'm guessing orange will be used on Halloween.

I can see why people think this and I dont blame them. I guess it does kinda devalues those certain colour but I am ok with that for the purpose of an event. I just wish these events were more than just server side events though :(

On a side note did the valentines event last year have these coloured dinos ? I can remeber most of the event but dont seem to remember dino colours but seem to remeber trading for a valentine tapejara afterwards though from a friend. 

2 hours ago, Demigod said:

5d-tinfoil-hat-.jpg

IT'S A SECRET CONSPIRACY TO BAMBOOZLE ME!!!

...and no, holiday colors aren't causing other mutations to lose their "value." They're just colors, no different than any other mutation colors. (Which are much easier to get than is complimentary to the intent of this thread.) The funny part is, they're better in the hands of a skilled breeder anyway...so it actually has the possibility of increasing the value of certain lines with colors that people want...but that's none of my business...

It has been my experience that a color mutation isn't worth all that much on a low level Dino, so you still have to take these colors and bring them into a successful line, which is often very tedious.  However, I can see where someone spending weeks developing a green and red line would have been upset when anyone could go out and tame them during the Christmas event.  I I think the net effect could be less dinos being bred and less dinos against the tame cap on each server.  I know that when I am going for a rainbow line it takes a lot of breeding which makes for a lot of dinosaurs that I don't even want, but keep around to increase my chances.  All of those can go away if I tame a nice rainbow in the wild. 

Guest DJRone89
9 minutes ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

...Isn't themain reason for breeding to get better stats anyways? The colors while neat are a secondary reason for most people.

And the fact you can just paint dinos whatever colour you like anyway...

10 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

...Isn't themain reason for breeding to get better stats anyways? The colors while neat are a secondary reason for most people.

Honestly, to me personally, the colours are a downside of mutation! At least the "unnatural" colours: they are way too bright and look just that - unnatural. With mutations I keep wishing for the colour mutation to go into an unused region.

12 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

On a side note did the valentines event last year have these coloured dinos ? I can remeber most of the event but dont seem to remember dino colours but seem to remeber trading for a valentine tapejara afterwards though from a friend.

IIRC, the first time there were colour themed dinos for an event was last christmas event and I assumed it was a way for the devs to make the event have a visual impact that didn't take much in the way of coding because they didn't have time. Personally, I'd prefer it if they scrapped the themed colours and went back to the more elaborate events of yore :P (or, as people seem to like the colour mutations - I can just not use them! - why not both?)

Entering colored dinosaurs into the game really reduced the value of color for dinosaurs.
If earlier you had to spend several weeks to get the color, now any player who is not too lazy to tame someone will be able to get it.

In addition to this, all will run to tame tons of useless dinosaurs 5 lvl, which will make the situation with the server limit even worse.
I do not know what the idea is being pursued by the developers, but I do not like it

Spoken like a true no lifer. Lol that not dedicated could also mean people with a wife and kids and full time job.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using SurviveTheArk Community mobile app

Wild 150's with hard to get colors are nice. If anyone has any sort of knowledgeon breeding for a specific color knows how hard it is to get a certain color. Purple, orange, white and to some extent, pure black. Not that kinda grey black either, but true black. 

Most colors are cyan, magenta/pink, yellow green blue and red. But give me a full on purple or orange mutation and I'll give you my first born. Super rare colors are where the value is. Combine that with those god stats and you can get whatever you want. 

But it is kind of nice being able to pick up a rarer color in the wild for us who have a life outside of the game.

I sold a 240 lvl Blue Argy for 6k ingots recently. I cant remember how much they used to be worth but this was on an official. I dont raise colours to sell off but I prefer the non-neon mutations as they look nicer. Our rex has a tan/orange colour which is quite nice as its kinda looks natural to a certain degree.

I dont know many people asking for colours recently and I am one who isnt bothered by the colour of my mount - only the level as that shows your progress in a breeding line more than a colour. 

Riding around on a 350+ dino for me looks a bit better than a Blue Argy - but that is just my opinion.

I'm personally a big fan of these event.

Yes it devalues SOME color mutations, pink, red and green so far(a very small portion on all possible colors). But, you still have to work in order to get said colors with the stats you need. 

I think its great that new players can get ¨color mutations¨ without having to spend the crazy amount some people ask for color mutations sometimes.

And for breeders, you all should embrace it. Being able to get a color mutated line with no mutation is a great thing.

12 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Honestly, to me personally, the colours are a downside of mutation! At least the "unnatural" colours: they are way too bright and look just that - unnatural. With mutations I keep wishing for the colour mutation to go into an unused region.

IIRC, the first time there were colour themed dinos for an event was last christmas event and I assumed it was a way for the devs to make the event have a visual impact that didn't take much in the way of coding because they didn't have time. Personally, I'd prefer it if they scrapped the themed colours and went back to the more elaborate events of yore :P (or, as people seem to like the colour mutations - I can just not use them! - why not both?)

I felt the same way when it came to the mammels. I always tried for the mundane colors instead.

I honestly don't know what's more shallow...
Breeding just for color mutations, or buying a dinosaur just for color mutations. I'd like to think the colors are just icing on the cake and that a well-kept breeding project is still going to be more valuable simply for the stats it brings to the table.

Personally, I find color mutations to be atrocious and often take away from the appeal of the dinosaur. The only exception, for me, is my Blue Baryonyx with the white belly and I'm hoping to get some Cyan stripes onto it. Blue just suits that thing, but otherwise, it tends to look out of place. A Magenta/Green/Whatever Tyrannosaur? Yeah, no thanks. I don't mean to be rude, but it's hard not to with the level of snark going on in this thread, and personally I just think that bright color mutations are for the easily impressed and shallow. Still, I think it's pretty cool that Wildcard are giving players the option to pick up these colors without having to work against the odds to acquire them. I mean, hell, my dream is to get an all white Allo and I knew that breeding for that would be next to impossible, but now I just have to scout the map until I find multiple Allos with the white in different regions and then breed them together for an all white variant, then breed that with my current breeding pool for the stats. It's still a lot of work, but it's way less than it would have been to just gamble on getting that slim chance at a color mutation, and then the even slimmer chance of it being the exact color I want.

At the end of the day, this is just a sunken costs kind of thing. You put in the time and you feel ripped off because now that precious Green, Red, Pink, and White aren't as rare as they used to be, but there's way more benefit to breeding than just colors, so excuse me for not being overly sympathetic. 

Archived