Hyaenodon pet buff, any official word?

ClanTKC

So I finally tamed a hyaenodon, not so easy on a PvE server where you can't pick them up with your bird. Anyway, after getting her back to my pen I notice the option to 'pet' her and when I do, she glows. I instantly look for any information on what kind of buff she's getting/giving(?) and from what I can tell, there has never been any kind of official word from the developers. Can anyone offer a link to reliable information on the buff? If a mod can ask a developer the question and pass it on that would work too. Thanks!

2 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

saddle does, but not the buff and afaik it only works for various meats.

Petting gives them an attack and damage resistance(?) buff.

I've seen the idea that it gives an attack and damage resistance buff, what I haven't seen is any kind of link to a dev comment or post or something that gives me 100% confidence in that assumption/theory.

1 hour ago, ClanTKC said:

I've seen the idea that it gives an attack and damage resistance buff, what I haven't seen is any kind of link to a dev comment or post or something that gives me 100% confidence in that assumption/theory.

walk the hyenadon out somewhere. attack a dodo. pet it. attack another dodo. record your results.

It's a damage resistance buff. I've used a Hyaenodon pack quite a few times, and the pet is definitely a damage resist buff. Kind of a pain though having to pet them every 5 minutes or so. They heal like mad when eating corpses (any tame Hyaenodons within proximity of the corpse gets healed, not just the one chomping on the corpse), which is why i would use a Hyaenodon pack rather than a Dire Wolf pack (Dire Wolves do a lot of damage, but would also get damaged faster due to no Saddle armor and couldn't heal quickly). Hyaenodons are slow as frozen molasses though when they're swimming, which due to their small size, they have to swim even through the Island's swamp.

47 minutes ago, ClanTKC said:

And what is the community using to populate the wiki?

Data gathered from:
- devkit that is freely available (in rare cases reverse engineering)
- purely empirical evidence
- patchnotes

That is why wiki can contain incomplete, outdated or incorrect information and thats completely fine.

17 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Data gathered from:
- devkit that is freely available (in rare cases reverse engineering)
- purely empirical data
- patchnotes

That is why wiki can contain incomplete, outdated or incorrect information and thats completely fine.

Or no data at all. Don't really think that's fine personally. At least they could tell us what the buff does, they don't have to give us numbers. That I could live with. My guess is it's an oversight, not a choice.

Archived