Win 10 Xbox X-Play Server Port Forwarding

Hi, 

So I tried running a windows 10 server previously so that myself and a couple of friends could play on our Xbox's.

It didn't work at the time as no one could join the server apart from me on the same network as the server. The Win 10 version was just released as was Aberration, so I've given it a bit of time so that they can work out the bugs and hopefully away we go.

I want to get it everything sorted first, and after a bit of reading I should open up some ports ... and the questions begin...

Q1 : Is it just these xbox ports that need opening, or is there more?

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • Port 3544 (UDP)
  • Port 4500 (UDP)

Q2 : Do they need to be open on my router or firewall or both?
Q3 : Does both my PC and Xbox need these forwarding?

Q4 : If I have to port forward through my router, you can only forward to one I.P, either the PC or the Xbox, what am I missing here?
Q5 : If I have to port forward through my firewall on my PC, am I forwarding Local or Remote ports? Or both? And are theese inbound rules or outbound rules?
Q6 : My NAT type shows as OPEN on the Xbox App on my PC, Do I even need to open my ports if my NAT is showing OPEN?

Q7 : Is the Aberration server save bug fixed?

I will leave everything alone for now, and will see if myself and my friend can get on later.

Q1 : Is it just these xbox ports that need opening, or is there more?

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • Port 3544 (UDP)
  • Port 4500 (UDP)

There are more ports as when I run the netstat -an from windows powershell I see a lot of private ports used in the 57000 range, the devs have never actually stated which ports are required for ARK when using windows 10 store version. You obviously need the default xbox ones, but beyond that is anyone's guess. I have had the best luck using UPNP and letting it figure out but I still can't get my server to appear in ark server list. It will randomly hit the list after a few days for about an hour or so because my server population will instantly go to 70 but then the server won't show up in the list anymore.  

People join my server by first adding my hosted xbox account as a friend, then joining the game in progress under that hosted xbox account. 

Q2 : Do they need to be open on my router or firewall or both?

You need both, router and windows firewall, by default pretty sure ARK install it is set to any ports under windows firewall so I wouldn't worry about that, make sure ARK has access on both private and public networks though (little checkbox under allow app through firewall and make sure xbox is also checked for this)

Q3 : Does both my PC and Xbox need these forwarding?

Only the hosting device needs these

Q4 : If I have to port forward through my router, you can only forward to one I.P, either the PC or the Xbox, what am I missing here?

Consumer routers are limited, you try UPNP or 3rd-party firmware

Q5 : If I have to port forward through my firewall on my PC, am I forwarding Local or Remote ports? Or both? And are theese inbound rules or outbound rules?

See my Q2 answer

Q6 : My NAT type shows as OPEN on the Xbox App on my PC, Do I even need to open my ports if my NAT is showing OPEN?

No

Q7 : Is the Aberration server save bug fixed?

IDK

I Agree with Juggernaut based on what i have done in my own research. I have been running in to the same issue though.

i have my server hosted on my Gaming PC through the Windows 10 Store version of Ark with a Silver account and me and my friends Play our gold accounts on the Xbox One
Once set up, i did not see my server in the Player Dedicated list which im not to worried about, but i was able to Join in my LAN by friending the silver account and just going to Join Game.
My friends could not connect from outside my network though even when invited from the server.

At first i only had the following forwarded and i could join but my friends got Join Failed message

TCP: 3074
UDP: 88,500,3074,3544,4500
I also set up rules to allow them through my windows firewall and tested their availability with a port checker

Currently i am set up with the following ports forwarded and my windows firewall disabled on my PC (I know that's not secure but did it for troubleshooting purposes)

TCP: 3074, 25147, 27015-27030, 27036-27037
UDP: 88, 500, 3074, 3544,4380, 4500, 7777, 25147, 27000-27031, 27036

All the above ports are forwarded for both the "XBOX and "PC" versions of the game as per https://portforward.com/ark-survival-evolved/

I have not tried to add the raw socket of 7778 UDP but some of my research suggested this, but i think its mroe for the steam version

Just like Juggernaut i ran the netstat -an from windows powershell I see 7-8 private ports used in anywhere between 51000 the 57000 range, either one or the other - never mixed between the two.

My netstat command also showed that ShooterGame.exe was looking at UDP port 7777 which i though was a steam only port for the game but now im thinking it may be just the games port

I would recommend adding at least 7777 and 7778 to see how it goes. I am currently reinstalling on both my xbox and computer to try again with a clean slate so i cant test at the moment.

19 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

I have had the best luck using UPNP and letting it figure out

2 Quick questions that i have a hunch is gonna make me feel like an idiot

Q1 Which UDP port is your uPnP using? Mine changes between 53131 and 500

Q2 Is your uPnP pointing to your XBOX or to the PC hosting the server? Mine has always been going to the XBOX

1 hour ago, Zeddicus919 said:

2 Quick questions that i have a hunch is gonna make me feel like an idiot

Q1 Which UDP port is your uPnP using? Mine changes between 53131 and 500

Q2 Is your uPnP pointing to your XBOX or to the PC hosting the server? Mine has always been going to the XBOX

My hosted windows 10 store pc version is using port 53071 based on upnp, it always first point to my host computer. If i turn on my xbox it will then punch a new port. 

IF i run netstat -an the hosted pc version is hitting ports ranging from 50100 - 51100 which appears to be for each connected individual on the server. 

I don't host from my xbox but I can play on it and with another separate PC and connect back to the host PC (that is running ark via windows 10 store version). 

I am running windows 10, stock windows firewall/anti-virus, no double nating, eg my fiber modem is bridging to my router (netgear stock firmware) so my NAT is truly open. I have no ports forwarded in my router, just UPNP, I tried forwarding ports but it made no difference if my server showed up in the list or not, ppl could still connect either way though xbox friends lists. Ark is allowed to use any incoming/outgoing ports based on windows firewall settings, router control is set to just UPNP.  My ISP doesn't block xbox ports, some ISPs block certain ports. I do not have a static external IP (I do use a ddns server but that is not for ark) and I am using a static internal IP for the host machine on IPv4. 

35 minutes ago, Juggernaut said:

I don't host from my xbox but I can play on it and with another separate PC and connect back to the host PC (that is running ark via windows 10 store version). 

That's exactly how im trying to set up. I kinda feel silly now i had been seeing uPnP this whole time and saw it was enabled but never thought to point it at my hosted PC First. Ill give that a try when i get home. Thanks for the help on this Juggernaut.

Not sure if i did it right but i started the uPnP service on my computer, my Netgear N600 only lets me turn on or off uPnP. Couldn't find a way to make it so it shows up in my router as being used or set it to my reserved static IP address first but my wife and i can connect from within my LAN again. im having my friends test and will let me know tomorrow if they can connect from outside the LAN. Will post then if its working.

15 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

I have no configuration on my router for upnp, just turn it on or off. Are you using windows 10 xbox app to connect? Did you check your xbox app network settings, it has a self tester in there that shows NAT type, ping, etc. 

I did not realize the app has its own setting for NAT type ill have to look at that because i did not check it. i know on my Router and Xbox the NAT type is Open and on the Router and PC i have UPNP enabled/turned on and the service is running on the PC. ill post again after i have had a chance to look. i also removed my password completely from my server just in case that was it too but it had no affect for my friends joining. so far still getting join failed.

3 hours ago, Zeddicus919 said:

I did not realize the app has its own setting for NAT type ill have to look at that because i did not check it. i know on my Router and Xbox the NAT type is Open and on the Router and PC i have UPNP enabled/turned on and the service is running on the PC. ill post again after i have had a chance to look. i also removed my password completely from my server just in case that was it too but it had no affect for my friends joining. so far still getting join failed.

The xbox app doesnt have its own NAT type but it has a tester to determine if your NAT is open and communicating with xbox servers. I would go under your firewall settings and make sure that you allow the xbox app through the firewall. Sounds like some your allowed apps are set to private network only and not also public network.

20 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

The xbox app doesnt have its own NAT type but it has a tester to determine if your NAT is open and communicating with xbox servers. I would go under your firewall settings and make sure that you allow the xbox app through the firewall. Sounds like some your allowed apps are set to private network only and not also public network.

I see what you mean now, i looked and while both my xbox one and Router have NAT type set to open my Xbox app shows an error that "Teredo is unable to qualify" or something close to that and from looking in to that it also explains why it shows that "Server Connectivity" is "Blocked". I will troubleshoot the Taredo IP issue and see if i can get it working. Thanks again for all your help Juggernaut!

I get that Teredo issue all the time after a computer restart sometimes if you have a VPN driver for the network adapter. You can easily reset it via command prompt, google the exact command it is on xbox's website. you disable it and then just renable it. The only affect I have seen because of it is, failure to join parties but this normally only happens on my gaming PC, as I don't have VPN setup on my host machine. 

19 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

I get that Teredo issue all the time after a computer restart sometimes if you have a VPN driver for the network adapter. You can easily reset it via command prompt, google the exact command it is on xbox's website. you disable it and then just renable it. The only affect I have seen because of it is, failure to join parties but this normally only happens on my gaming PC, as I don't have VPN setup on my host machine. 

Once i fixed the Teredo NAT issue the server connectivity also fixed as well. having my friends test to see if they can connect. My issue with Teredo lied in the registry. I'm on an ASUS ROG computer and one of their ROG programs disabled a function by changing a registry entry. Changing it back and rebooting fixed it. Hopefully they can connect. Will post the results.

On 2/22/2018 at 11:27 AM, Juggernaut said:

Fixing the Teredo Issue worked my friends can now connect! Thank you for all your help Juggernaut!

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 2:21 PM, Zeddicus919 said:

That's exactly how im trying to set up. I kinda feel silly now i had been seeing uPnP this whole time and saw it was enabled but never thought to point it at my hosted PC First. Ill give that a try when i get home. Thanks for the help on this Juggernaut.

How exactly do i portforward and how do i do any of this including point my UpNp at my PC. My friends get join failed  when i try to host it on PC so we moved to xbox hosting but i still wanna try and host it on my PC

9 hours ago, Omdididom said:

How exactly do i portforward and how do i do any of this including point my UpNp at my PC. My friends get join failed  when i try to host it on PC so we moved to xbox hosting but i still wanna try and host it on my PC

Portforwading is done on your network router.

You forward the port numbers to your server.

Archived