Performance impact of Spectre/Meltdown on official Ark Server DCs?

Zed38

At my workplace we saw:

overall drop in performance for:

Desktops/Workstations: 1-4%

Database svr: 9-22%

ADDS: 6-10%

Heavy Use App svr: 5-20%

Of the impact, those servers with high IOPS were most heavily hit, especially on the SSD systems. CPU use increase was lower than expected (the numbers above are average of both compared to previous 3 month period of performance audit across clusters, as well as a select few critical systems). I am assuming ark's DC hardware also experienced a substantial hit (assuming they actually patched it all already, the hardware microcode was recalled and most of the vendor bios/firmware is still pending release).

How impacted was ark's official servers? What steps is WC taking to make up for the shortfall in performance?

1 hour ago, Zed38 said:

How impacted was ark's official servers? What steps is WC taking to make up for the shortfall in performance?

WC doesn't really care about the performance of it's officials. Our group just dropped a Rag server (IE Left the server), where raising a Giga took almost two whole extra days, and imprints were reliably around 9-10 hours per, due to the lag inherent to the servers. They host 3-4 "Servers" per box and their performance is famously bad. 

They will likely take no steps to make up for the shortfall. To be frank, even if the lag was increased by 50% on all servers, most people probably wouldn't notice the difference given how bad most Officials are. 

20 hours ago, iAmE said:

WC doesn't really care about the performance of it's officials. Our group just dropped a Rag server (IE Left the server), where raising a Giga took almost two whole extra days, and imprints were reliably around 9-10 hours per, due to the lag inherent to the servers. They host 3-4 "Servers" per box and their performance is famously bad. 

They will likely take no steps to make up for the shortfall. To be frank, even if the lag was increased by 50% on all servers, most people probably wouldn't notice the difference given how bad most Officials are. 

Oh... I am quite aware :)

I was looking to see if there was an official stance just out of curiosity - I host my own maps on my own hardware for my crew.

side note @whoever moved this post - a post talking about ark and the official servers doesnt really belong in Off Topic.

1 hour ago, Zed38 said:

Oh... I am quite aware :)

I was looking to see if there was an official stance just out of curiosity - I host my own maps on my own hardware for my crew.

side note @whoever moved this post - a post talking about ark and the official servers doesnt really belong in Off Topic.

The moderators move threads around pretty often and pretty liberally. Particularly if the thread could possibly be construed as negative and hasn't "Taken off" yet. They know most of their users frequent General Disco and not much else, so they like to keep it as clean and positive as they can. 

Archived