v278 Dragon Boss on Island now Harder??

SingleSidedPCB

6 hours ago, Kayin said:

Allowing us to build in the Boss arenas for cover would go a LONG way to giving strategic options.  Or fliers even.   I'm pretty sure I could juke a dragon while my buddy shoots it from the back of my Tape. 

I agree with the sentiment that it is annoying every good strategy for fighting the dragon almost immediately gets nerfed.  Beating the dragon shouldn't come down to "I did it before it was cool".   It's not the hipster dragon. 

Disagree for building. Its only a matter of time before some tribe builds a room out of tek with a locked gate to trap everyone else attempting the boss on the spawn platform. Or general griefing, placing pillars everywhere to stop you from moving around etc.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Disagree for building. Its only a matter of time before some tribe builds a room out of tek with a locked gate to trap everyone else attempting the boss on the spawn platform. Or general griefing, placing pillars everywhere to stop you from moving around etc.

Since the boss arenas are temporary instances I would assume the structures would also be temporary.  Whatever you place down you lose.  I'm fine with that if it meant a fun fight. You risk whatever you take in there anyway. 

I'd be open to the Boss Fights being objective based, where it isn't about the DPS, it's about strategically achieving objectives to win the fight.  Like having to reassemble some great dragon killing weapon  while it circles you and reigns fire down.  

So many options. 

On 15/02/2018 at 8:11 AM, bigfishrob said:

tribe is bored with it dude. it is beating a dead horse at this point. bosses aint fun, its antique content. when you been beating all the island bosses since well back into legacy nobody cares once you got ur engrams. like i said when i finish my play pretties we might look again, but it is tough enough getting em to get on for re doing tek cave and rockwell for the same reason... just old content now.

Gave me a good chuckle, 

cant do it cus done it 3 thousand times and boring now

On 16/02/2018 at 12:26 AM, 3mptylord said:

Wildcard should focus on making more creatures useful rather than nerfing the others - that is to say, make other dinos replace DPS rather than nerf the DPS.

For example, the Yuty and Daeodon became staples in boss parties without having to nerf the rexes.

In my opinion, they should remove the Yuty's Bonus Resistance and move the buff to the Pachyrhino - so you now need both to receive the full suite of buffs. 

They could then add a War Trumpet to the Mammoth that grants Stamina and perhaps Torpor Resistance - allowing you to use low-stamina creatures without worrying about them passing out. This could then allow Wildcard to buff the Broodmother to actually do something other than being a tank (e.g. substantial torpor-infliction).

The Alpha Allosaurus's 'Rend' currently doesn't work on bosses - make it work and you'd see at least 3 allosauruses in every boss fight. It would be better to add a cap to the Rend damage than disable it entirely, if the %health damage is too strong. 

If the Megalosaurus only generated sleep deprivation when in the sun and not just during "day time", they would be viable in the Broodmother's cave and versus the Dragon under the volcanic-ash clouds.

Biggest issue with Megalosaurus is the unridden bug, where when it is unridden it mostly just tries to grab instead of bite, even tries to grab things much bigger than itself rendering it useless.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:01 AM, SingleSidedPCB said:

they could also give us something fun to do in the world to gain xp on dinos faster...It feels ridiculous having to get the whole tribe together to mindlessly sit on dinos while someone grinds stone :/

Other ways we have gained xp on our dino's. 

A) Drag Wyvern's to them. Wyvern kills supply a great amount of XP and you get a bonus of harvesting prime meat. 

B) A version of the grind stone is hatch and kill stuff that doesn't make the cut. Keep and hatch then kill all Wyvern eggs no matter level if you're not raising them. High level Rex hatches that don't get what you're looking for. Giga hatches too. If you do that at same time as running some grinders, narcotics, and with a lystro buff you get a bunch of xp

C) My favorite of all time. Take your Giga out to kill Titan's and bring along whatever you want to get xp. My favorite one was I buffed the Giga using a Yuty we needed leveled. Did 3 titans back to back to back. Giga was 34k hp, 230 melee hatch at 410 % melee, 109 armor saddle, 100% imprinted to the rider. Normally a single Titan would take about 6-11k hp off the Giga. Bringing the Yuty with, the Giga ,between 3 Titans, lost about 4k hp. The Yuty got 50+ levels added. It was fun and we had the whole server watching. 

D) I agree that adding additional ways to earn xp for your dino's like some sort of dino test cave would be a good idea. 

32 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

D) I agree that adding additional ways to earn xp for your dino's like some sort of dino test cave would be a good idea. 

Would be cool if defeating bosses would give a lot of xp to all dinos in the arena. Then we could train our dinos in the boss fights, starting with gamma and working our way up.

3 minutes ago, Thorium said:

Would be cool if defeating bosses would give a lot of xp to all dinos in the arena. Then we could train our dinos in the boss fights, starting with gamma and working our way up.

I agree and I think in the boss fights alliances should also get a run off xp even if it's only 1/2 of the tribe run off. Alliance's are encouraged, strategies and practice are encouraged, so some sort of training program or as you state a progression of sorts xp would be great. 

11 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Other ways we have gained xp on our dino's. 

A) Drag Wyvern's to them. Wyvern kills supply a great amount of XP and you get a bonus of harvesting prime meat. 

B) A version of the grind stone is hatch and kill stuff that doesn't make the cut. Keep and hatch then kill all Wyvern eggs no matter level if you're not raising them. High level Rex hatches that don't get what you're looking for. Giga hatches too. If you do that at same time as running some grinders, narcotics, and with a lystro buff you get a bunch of xp

C) My favorite of all time. Take your Giga out to kill Titan's and bring along whatever you want to get xp. My favorite one was I buffed the Giga using a Yuty we needed leveled. Did 3 titans back to back to back. Giga was 34k hp, 230 melee hatch at 410 % melee, 109 armor saddle, 100% imprinted to the rider. Normally a single Titan would take about 6-11k hp off the Giga. Bringing the Yuty with, the Giga ,between 3 Titans, lost about 4k hp. The Yuty got 50+ levels added. It was fun and we had the whole server watching. 

All good options, but there's pro's and cons to them..

A) Not every map has wyverns, Not every base on a map that does have them is close by, and poison wyverns are an issue without gas masks..

B) Shhh.... I'm not so sure that's intended :ph34r: and you still just end up sitting at base doing something repetitive :/

C) With the new changes to how a giga rages, I'm not sure that's viable anymore... needs testing.

It used to be fun hunting alpha dinos, but they slowly and methodically nerfed away at them to where it's boring and not worth it. They nerfed the xp from land alphas significantly, removed ability to use soups (enlightenment) on dinos, nerfed the loot you get from alphas, and 9 out of 10 are level 20 or lower. Add to that the drastic across the board nerf to speed on land dinos and it's like they want you to sit at base all day grinding stone...lol

They should undo some or all of those nerfs they made to alphas, and they should make alpha rexes more common (cant even remember the last time i saw one?)

I Also Love the idea of a cave specifically for leveling dinos...that sounds fun :)

9 minutes ago, Thorium said:

Was just in the process of typing XP from bosses when you replied ;)

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Experience

You get a whopping 16 xp from killing the broodmother.. 6,000 from any other boss (same as killing a non alpha deathworm).

The whole xp from anything in ark is a mess and makes no logical sense.

Ran alpha dragon last night 

First attempt we got him down to bout 10% and then server crashed so we had to redo him 

Second time we killed him 

Both times we used 18 zino 1 daedon and 1 yutu

Daedon had bout 4000 zino kibble that we burned through healing 

Both attempts we only lost 4 zinos before the server crashed 

Since 277 we have done the dragon 4 times on island and 2 of them we have had a server crash mid fight :/

Has anyone seen any further info on the breaking changes they made to the dragon in v278?

They promised to make the dragon do less damage in the v278 update, and instead it does many, many times more damage.

We can't run boss fights on our rag server until they fix this, and we're almost out of element to run our tek generators.

Any further info would be appreciated.

15 hours ago, LPTF said:

Has anyone seen any further info on the breaking changes they made to the dragon in v278?

They promised to make the dragon do less damage in the v278 update, and instead it does many, many times more damage.

We can't run boss fights on our rag server until they fix this, and we're almost out of element to run our tek generators.

Any further info would be appreciated.

I think they just want to stay quiet on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? Has anyone figured out how to beat the dragon since the "nerf"? Several in our server cluster were getting ready to attempt the tek cave but were waiting to fight dragon until after the update, and I really don't thing spawning in a bunch of dragon heads or using kill codes in a boss fight should be something an admin does.

Think i figured out exactly what the buff to him was. He appears to use his Firebreath attack more often now, which means that not only does it negate the 50% damage nerf, but he also has a higher uptime of his 20% Max Health DoT (the real killer) on your dinos. He reapplies the Flame DoT to your dinos almost as soon as it wears off.

This bug they introduced with the Dragon breathing more often, honestly reminds me of the infamous Onyxia Deep Breath bug from vanilla WoW. Just look up "Onyxia Wiped" (uploader is "dar2") on YouTube if you want to see what that was like. Warning though, there is a fair bit of cursing in the video, but it's absolutely hilarious.

2 minutes ago, Daedros said:

This bug they introduced with the Dragon breathing more often, honestly reminds me of the infamous Onyxia Deep Breath bug from vanilla WoW. Just look up "Onyxia Wiped" (uploader is "dar2") on YouTube if you want to see what that was like. Warning though, there is a fair bit of cursing in the video, but it's absolutely hilarious.

Ughhh, why bring up that Trauma?   I was a Horde Warrior tank, we didn't have fear ward like the cheese faction did. :/

4 minutes ago, Migol said:

Ughhh, why bring up that Trauma?   I was a Horde Warrior tank, we didn't have fear ward like the cheese faction did. :/

Well, at least Undead Prot Warriors had Will of the Forsaken to break and immune to Fear. Still though, when i realized that the Dragon was breathing more often than usual, that video was the first thing that popped in my mind.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Migol said:

Soooooo....not to reroll Necromancer but has anyone tried alpha dragon on Island lately?    Would rather not flush all the Theriz down the drain if he's still bugged to do more damage from the patch that was nerfing him...

I would also like to know. Planning on knocking some bosses out this weekend

Archived