v278 Dragon Boss on Island now Harder??

SingleSidedPCB

You know how when you're taming dinos, they've lost food but still aren't eating? That's what happens with the cakes. I don't know how it works in un-official but official servers awhile ago intentionally had dino update frequency gimped, presumably in one of their "performance improvements". This makes them not eat food in a timely manner. That's usually what they do with their "performance improvements", remove game functionality to make the game run at least minimistically.

It's funny, we went to dragon with 21k HP, mate-boosted, 120 armour, Yuty buff, cake filled Theriz and the first one died in less than 30 seconds. I don't even know how it's literally possible considering it takes the fire 50 seconds minimum to kill and thats the significant majority of the damage. Hidden variables in a fight with extreme entry costs is pretty raptored up.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Wallbuilder said:

It's funny, we went to dragon with 21k HP, mate-boosted, 120 armour, Yuty buff, cake filled Theriz and the first one died in less than 30 seconds. I don't even know how it's literally possible considering it takes the fire 50 seconds minimum to kill and thats the significant majority of the damage. Hidden variables in a fight with extreme entry costs is pretty raptored up.

Maybe you parked/whistled them into the lava pool?

We had exactly the same issue with the Rag boss fight. We have an advanced team of highly levelled rexes with 35k+ health, 100+ saddles, a yuti, pig and experienced riders.

We regularly farm alpha rag without too many issues. It's a tough fight, but we have always won, and the rexes have about 10k heath left by the end of the fight.

After the v278.1 update, we did the beta fight, and it was a complete disaster. The dragon had knocked 85%-95% of the health off the rexes within the first 2 mins of the fight. Most rexes were down to 1K-2K health remaining by the time the dragon died, which only took 3 or 4 mins.

I have never seen anything like this before. We very nearly lost our entire rex army, which would have been a HUGE disaster for us.

Instead of nerfing the dragon, the devs appear to have tripled the damage it does, if not more.

4 hours ago, bigfishrob said:

I suspected it to be a matter of time before veggie cake method went south. Should be planning to mitigate dmg instead of absorb it. Use a bait rex or dino(5-6 dinos rotated) to bait the breath before engaging. Ppl want to herpa derp and tanky spanky instead of avoiding dmg.

That might be a workable strategy for a large tribe, but not an easy one when the dragon does 3 fire breaths in under 5 mins. also the fire breath AOE is massive now, and without crossing the lava streams there is no avoiding it.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:59 AM, LPTF said:

Instead of nerfing the dragon, the devs appear to have tripled the damage it does, if not more.

You mean they fixed it? Because it has been weak and paper-thin on Ragnarok before but still gave full rewards which is kinda unfair.

Same applie(s/d) to Broodmother on The Center - did 1/3rd of damage and received 3x times damage from all sources.

12 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

That might be a workable strategy for a large tribe, but not an easy one when the dragon does 3 fire breaths in under 5 mins. also the fire breath AOE is massive now, and without crossing the lava streams there is no avoiding it.

i guess you could always go sp and spawn some good stuff in to do it. Sorry to say official is geared towards a tribe working together, not solo play.

17 hours ago, bigfishrob said:

I suspected it to be a matter of time before veggie cake method went south. Should be planning to mitigate dmg instead of absorb it. Use a bait rex or dino(5-6 dinos rotated) to bait the breath before engaging. Ppl want to herpa derp and tanky spanky instead of avoiding dmg.

Let me ask you a question. When did you last do an alpha dragon fight on the island, or even ragnarok?

39 minutes ago, LPTF said:

Let me ask you a question. When did you last do an alpha dragon fight on the island, or even ragnarok?

Did all that bout a month after release. But we redid rag alpha about 4 days ago to get engrams for me and another tribemate who lost chars. But the mechanic has been there. We never relied on 500 veggie cakes shoved in dinos to get by, we did the mechanics of avoid dmg and have used this mechanic from the start and did it with rexes hatched 11.2k hp and 414 melee. Mechanics over stats is why we didnt have to wait months and months to do it in the first place.

1 hour ago, bigfishrob said:

i guess you could always go sp and spawn some good stuff in to do it. Sorry to say official is geared towards a tribe working together, not solo play.

I guess you didn't read the Original Post. we would normally do the fight with 5-7 people. we've done all the boss fights many times, probably the alpha dragon on the island most of all trying different strategies. I don't need to do it again, that doesn't mean i wouldn't like it to be fixed. My point that seemed to go over your head was, if you have 10 people in the fight then baiting the dragon around to get in some heal time/avoid fire could well work. It did not work well for us, so we went back to the throw everything at it and kill it before the fire DoT killed us strategy.

Ragnarok is (was) a completely different fight, so much more room to move around and avoiding damage when you need to is much easier for smaller tribes. there is also much more room for strategy in that fight than there is on theisland.

50 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

I guess you didn't read the Original Post. we would normally do the fight with 5-7 people. we've done all the boss fights many times, probably the alpha dragon on the island most of all trying different strategies. I don't need to do it again, that doesn't mean i wouldn't like it to be fixed. My point that seemed to go over your head was, if you have 10 people in the fight then baiting the dragon around to get in some heal time/avoid fire could well work. It did not work well for us, so we went back to the throw everything at it and kill it before the fire DoT killed us strategy.

Ragnarok is (was) a completely different fight, so much more room to move around and avoiding damage when you need to is much easier for smaller tribes. there is also much more room for strategy in that fight than there is on theisland.

We have used same strat on island with as little as 6 ppl for sure. coordination is critical. The "beat the dot" method hasnt had a chance hardly in a long long time and by nature of the mechanics make no sense that it could.

25 minutes ago, bigfishrob said:

We have used same strat on island with as little as 6 ppl for sure. coordination is critical. The "beat the dot" method hasnt had a chance hardly in a long long time and by nature of the mechanics make no sense that it could.

That's kinda the point of this whole thread, it DID work before v278. v278 was supposed to make it an easier fight but judging by my own and others experiences both here and on reddit, it in fact made it much harder. Jeremy himself said they would be decreasing the dragons fire damage in a digest (6 months ago?). most agree the DoT is a crap mechanic and needs to change. When the tek cave and end boss is easier than one of the bosses that's a requirement to get there, something is off...

They should treat it like every other nerf they do, nerf it to the ground and buff it back up (except they never seem to do the buff it back up part xD).

9 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

That's kinda the point of this whole thread, it DID work before v278. v278 was supposed to make it an easier fight but judging by my own and others experiences both here and on reddit, it in fact made it much harder. Jeremy himself said they would be decreasing the dragons fire damage in a digest (6 months ago?). most agree the DoT is a crap mechanic and needs to change. When the tek cave and end boss is easier than one of the bosses that's a requirement to get there, something is off...

They should treat it like every other nerf they do, nerf it to the ground and buff it back up (except they never seem to do the buff it back up part xD).

With most of this game excessively ez it is nice on fights like this requiring mechanics. Game shouldnt be buy top rex eggs raise stand there and left click to win. It may be a bit overtuned now but that is from messing with a fight that was fine already of course it is gonna get mucked up. What was wrong with it before? The feared dot was workable and ppl cried saying dot too strong. Like i said we did with 11.2k hp 414 melee base stat rexes, now you got 13-15k and 496-550 bred rexes lurking around and similar theriz.

8 minutes ago, bigfishrob said:

With most of this game excessively ez it is nice on fights like this requiring mechanics. Game shouldnt be buy top rex eggs raise stand there and left click to win. It may be a bit overtuned now but that is from messing with a fight that was fine already of course it is gonna get mucked up. What was wrong with it before? The feared dot was workable and ppl cried saying dot too strong. Like i said we did with 11.2k hp 414 melee base stat rexes, now you got 13-15k and 496-550 bred rexes lurking around and similar theriz.

Not everyone that plays the game can "buy top rex eggs". that's a very narrow view and one the devs should not share. i don't know when you did the Alpha dragon with 11.2k hp 414 melee base rexes, but it must have been a long long time ago. we had 10.5k hp 443 melee base rexes and we could barely win with them sometimes. and by win i really mean loose cause getting out with at best 3 rexes doesn't count as a win to me. that's why we and a lot of others switched to theriz for the dragon in the first place.

since you seem to think it was so easy before and this thread is about changes in v278, why don't you go risk your dinos to try it.

11 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

Not everyone that plays the game can "buy top rex eggs". that's a very narrow view and one the devs should not share. i don't know when you did the Alpha dragon with 11.2k hp 414 melee base rexes, but it must have been a long long time ago. we had 10.5k hp 443 melee base rexes and we could barely win with them sometimes. and by win i really mean loose cause getting out with at best 3 rexes doesn't count as a win to me. that's why we and a lot of others switched to theriz for the dragon in the first place.

since you seem to think it was so easy before and this thread is about changes in v278, why don't you go risk your dinos to try it.

Yes with a Youtube video

19 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

With base 11.2k hp and base 414 melee and even a couple wild tamed rexes on pc pve official new servers sometime around i think oct-nov. Those stat rexes and the second attempt once we got a plan and executed we lost 3 rexes total. The last time we did it with same hp base and melee base about 425 i even brought in a barryonx for my ride and we lost no dinos. Why am i not going to waste my time doing it again?? well for one it is pointless for two my tribe has no need or desire to redo the boss yet again. We will do it again as needed when wc deletes another one of our chars and we need engrams again. Actually since we bored with current content and have done everything alpha including rock and tek cave we may go play with dragon with some troll builds just for giggles. Prob next on it will be a full set of my bred barryonx line.

Considering the amount of time sunk into creating said Tyrannosaurus and Therizino bloodlines, I'd argue that a great deal of time and effort was already expended with a not unreasonable expectation of having an easier time fighting a boss like the Dragon. Percent based damage which ignores total health is a broken ability as it is. It also does not change the fact that the dragon was supposed to receive a minor nerf (initial fire damage) in this patch, not a major buff. 

2 hours ago, bigfishrob said:

With base 11.2k hp and base 414 melee and even a couple wild tamed rexes on pc pve official new servers sometime around i think oct-nov. Those stat rexes and the second attempt once we got a plan and executed we lost 3 rexes total. The last time we did it with same hp base and melee base about 425 i even brought in a barryonx for my ride and we lost no dinos. Why am i not going to waste my time doing it again?? well for one it is pointless for two my tribe has no need or desire to redo the boss yet again. We will do it again as needed when wc deletes another one of our chars and we need engrams again. Actually since we bored with current content and have done everything alpha including rock and tek cave we may go play with dragon with some troll builds just for giggles. Prob next on it will be a full set of my bred barryonx line.

I feel like if your going to give strategy advice, you should at least be willing to try it yourself...

Our tribe had no need to do the alpha dragon fight, but we wanted to see how the update effected it. Since we have a newer better theriz line, we didn't need the ones we lost anyway (but 19 120 armor asc saddles sucks to loose). and since we lost so badly, with dinos and a strategy that had won before, i thought i should at least warn others that the fight may be broken.

Archived