v278 Dragon Boss on Island now Harder??

SingleSidedPCB

- Dragon's Fire Breath direct impact damage reduced by 50%

TL-DR: Island Dragon Fight is harder now

The tribe thought we would have a little fun tonight and test out how the changes to Gigantopithicus would affect the Megapithicus boss fight (no noticeable difference)

And how the Nerf to the Dragon's Fire Breath direct impact damage (not to Damage Over Time as it should have been) affected the Alpha Dragon fight.

We(4 of us) used 19 better-than-average Bred, Imprinted theriz with 120 armor ascendant saddles and 15 veggie cakes each and a yuty.

We(6-7 of us) had won this fight with these same theriz before, with minimal losses...this time, when the fight was supposed to be easier...was a total loss.

In less than the first 5 mins of the fight the dragon landed 3 times, did a fire breath each time, and immediately took off. The theriz were below 50% of their HP with hardly a scratch done to the dragon. The next time it landed it stayed on the ground long enough for us to get it down to about 3/4 health, but it didn't matter....by then most of the theriz were dead. Watching the health bar on the theriz i was riding, it never seemed to go up...so i fled to the back of the arena to look in it's inventory and it had eaten 4 cakes. I fed it another one manually (don't know why it didn't auto eat one, it was down to maybe 15% health) and watched as it got barely any HP at all from it. Avoided taking any damage to the theriz for a couple more minutes but it didn't matter, next fire breath it was dead. dragon chomped me twice and i was dead. GG wildcard.

We really didn't care that we lost the match, we didn't take anything in that we couldn't afford to loose (though i wouldn't have minded getting the saddles back lol) but what pissed us off is HOW we lost. There were obvious undisclosed changes/buffs to the dragon and nerfs to the theriz/cakes.

I don't plan to do the dragon fight on theisland again any time soon, but if anyone else is willing to take the time to test the changes more in depth I'm sure the community would appreciate it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:

Well, then stop using theriz, there are more methods, last time i went to that alpha fight, my mates went 3 on fast hervivores with shoguns, and 5 more on rex tanks. Easy win.

I think he is more pissed that there was no info about the nerfs/buffs than actually bothered about the fight , theri was an easy win before, he's already done alpha dragon once no need to do it again 

1 hour ago, SmokeyB said:

I think he is more pissed that there was no info about the nerfs/buffs than actually bothered about the fight , theri was an easy win before, he's already done alpha dragon once no need to do it again 

Yea, More disappointed in the devs than i care about losing the fight.

I've actually done the dragon fight dozens of times, lots of different ways...we had a test server setup for months just for trying strategies on the island dragon.

50 minutes ago, aggravating said:

dragon was doing way more damage to our rexes in the rag boss fight.

since v278 patch? just did alpha boss fight on rag with rexes the other day on v277 with just 2 of us. was a bit tricky, but we pulled it off with no losses :)

1 minute ago, Kayin said:

Nice. So there was a ninja buff to the dragon and only the fireball was mentioned.   Guys.  DILO 

Not the fireball, the immediate damage from the dragon's fire breath is what was supposed to be nerfed...but the damage over time from being ON fire from the breath is what has always done massive damage.

We just did the fight for fun to check it out, so i wasn't paying as close attention to everything as i could have...but it was certainly a harder fight than it used to be.

16 minutes ago, spacemansg1 said:

all the nurfs are in the update notes. ppl need to start reading them before they complain. 

Excuse me? i read the notes thoroughly. There's no mention of any buffs to the dragon or nerfs to the theriz or cakes.

There's supposed to be a NERF to the dragon and a BUFF to the FOOD cakes give to SNAILS. perhaps you should take your own advice and read before you complain about others complaining.

-edit: just re-read the entire notes....nope nothing there

So the fire damage over time (dot) wasn't changed at all. But does the fire breaths initial hit do less damage? From what I'm understanding it's the same. So damage taken should be unsurprising.

The cakes however.. sounds like they broke something with them again, like they always do when they try to change something up. 

Devils advo, but given the track record for fixing one thing and unintentionally breaking another, I'd err on the side of its a bug rather then a shadow-buff. Just my thoughts.

6 minutes ago, Rencraft said:

So the fire damage over time (dot) wasn't changed at all. But does the fire breaths initial hit do less damage? From what I'm understanding it's the same. So damage taken should be unsurprising.

The cakes however.. sounds like they broke something with them again, like they always do when they try to change something up. 

Devils advo, but given the track record for fixing one thing and unintentionally breaking another, I'd err on the side of its a bug rather then a shadow-buff. Just my thoughts.

Probably need to lose 500 food before they eat the cake now. lol

Just did a quick test at base with a theriz and cakes, and they seemed to work more or less as they should.. 2,045 hp recovered in 30 seconds. it ate a second one as soon as the timer was up. It sure didn't seem to be healing that fast in the dragon arena though, and i did have to force feed it one.

I wish i would have recorded the fight, it's difficult to pay attention to health bars when in the midst of it ;)

49 minutes ago, wardem0n said:

So if it’s intended.  Would rexes be the way to go now over the theri’s?

I'd say skip the island dragon all together. do the rag dragon for engrams, do the hard island monkey for element. if you need the dragon trophies for the ascension cave, maybe wait awhile and see if the devs decide to fix the dragon right. or borrow them from another tribe, pretty sure you still get the boss trophies back after ascension.

7 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Absolutely not, theris still take less fire damage because theyre herbivores

I'm fairly certain the devs cheat with this in the dragon arena. i don't think the herb fire resistance, mate boost, imprint rider bonus, or saddle armor help at all against the fire breath DoT.

36 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Depends on what exactly went wrong in OP's case and, if there are changes to cakes, what exactly those changes are.

So it is a bit too soon to draw any conclusions yet.

It wasn't the best coordinated alpha dragon fight I've ever been in, but it's the worst loss. the dragon still had 3/4 its health when it was over. I don't think my non bred mammoth test fight went that bad xD

I don't have a test server anymore, and i don't have another 19 extra theriz or asc saddles to throw away... so I'm hoping someone else will do a through test to figure out the exact changes.

10 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

since v278 patch? just did alpha boss fight on rag with rexes the other day on v277 with just 2 of us. was a bit tricky, but we pulled it off with no losses :)

yeah it since 278 did beta rag and almost lost with the same rexs/setup we have farmed alpha with. I mean beta dragon is doing more damage then what alpha used to do before 278 DILO is up with that. Dragons AI also seems to have changed it seems to like to fly more then normal now.

21 minutes ago, aggravating said:

yeah it since 278 did beta rag and almost lost with the same rexs/setup we have farmed alpha with. I mean beta dragon is doing more damage then what alpha used to do before 278 DILO is up with that. Dragons AI also seems to have changed it seems to like to fly more then normal now.

That seems consistent with what i observed with the island dragon....damn. so they screwed with the boss fights on island, rag and center in 1 update.

Not sure if applicable, but possibly relevant. During one of the first 5-6 nerfs they did on Bosses, they specifically targetting Alpha Brood . Instead of nerfing it, like they said, they ended up accidentally buffing it to absurdity. (It was one shotting 300k HP Rexes with 200 armor saddles)

They may have done something similar with the Dragon, as the nerf with Brood was also targetted at her acid spray. 

Archived