Getting Started on Official?

Slvr

Hi all,

so I got Ark around Christmastime last year and I've been having a blast between my singleplayer world and some private server worlds with friends. But while I'm still having tons of fun in the singleplayer world, I'm also a little bored, and want to get into the official server scene because the harshness of vanilla settings (which I'm not brave enough to enact on my singleplayer world, what with my ridiculously fast breeding and whatnot lol) seems exciting... as long as I had a tribe. I suppose my question is... how would I find a server to play on, much less a tribe to join?

And please... don't give me the anti-official talk. Trust me, in all my time googling crap before posting this, I've come across more than enough "Official servers are cancer" posts and I've taken that into consideration, haha. 

First off there are two types of Official servers one is PVP and one is not. The first type the PVP version is how the was originally intended to be played by the devs with its full feature set. The second is a stripped down kind of 'safe' mode not to different from say a creative building mode in most games.

You will want to choose the PVP option as it will give you the full experience and render you a better player in the long run. My baisc tips for starting on an Official PVP server are as follows:

1. Don't build on the beach

2. Build small at the start. Expected to be raided/wiped so don't store your loot all in the same location

3. Don't "store" building materials in boxes. Place it down and use it. I've lost count of how many bases I have raided that have had 100 metal foundations sitting in a box ready for some future base.

4. Work the diplomacy. Combat is only half the story to a PVP server. The other half is politics. You could be a really bad fighter but still survive because you are an effective diplomat.

5. Power level and try and get turrets on your base ASAP.

Everything @ForzaProiettile mentions is great advice for getting started. The other thing that I'll add, get on tribe revolving door ASAP and ideally try to spend some time in an alpha tribe. A month of being a "slave" taught me a TON about how big tribes thinks how to counter them, and you're exposed to dozens if not hundreds of players worth of experience. Whether being a cog in the machine is your cup of tea or not, its an invaluable learning experience.

24 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

First off there are two types of Official servers one is PVP and one is not. The first type the PVP version is how the was originally intended to be played by the devs with its full feature set. The second is a stripped down kind of 'safe' mode not to different from say a creative building mode in most games.

You will want to choose the PVP option as it give you the full experience and render you a better player in the long run. My baisc tips for starting on an Official PVP server are as follows:

Now thats a new level of arrogance and contempt for for PvE if ever saw it.

OP do you want to PvP or PvE

5 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

Everything @ForzaProiettile mentions is great advice for getting started. The other thing that I'll add, get on tribe revolving door ASAP and ideally try to spend some time in an alpha tribe. A month of being a "slave" taught me a TON about how big tribes thinks how to counter them, and you're exposed to dozens if not hundreds of players worth of experience. Whether being a cog in the machine is your cup of tea or not, its an invaluable learning experience.

That is a very valid point Arkasaurio. There are a lot of tips and tricks and some might even say slight exploits that you can pickup while playing as part of a tribe that has much experience. In any case being in such a tribe for even just a few weeks you will learn the most efficient ways to do things which as a new player you might not have realised about before.

3 hours ago, thatguy0890 said:

do alpha tribes take applications ?

Most won't take direct applications. You can just join a server, type a few words in global and expect to be recruited. Most tribes will wait till you have been on that server for at least a month and get to know you a bit better before even considering it. The biggest threat to Alpha tribes these days is rarely other Alphas its people insiding them.

Either join an alpha tribe, or resort to being a 1-man-troll-army-dedicating-literal-whole-days-to-making-c4/rockets like myself. 

I was spawnkilled about 4 times when joining Rag 272, must have been they saw a number increase not in the roster. There were only 9 people on, I eventually found a spawn point. I asked them why, they told me to get out or get wiped. So I reported them all, since they were making my experience literally unplayable.  

Long story short, I wiped out most of their stuff except only the hugest bases. I was greeted in the morning with a whole slew of cursing, I reported two of them and I was notified later that Xbox had taken action :D

Edit- Another tip..Ragnarok is a H.U.G.E. map. You’re 1 person. 

23 minutes ago, 1david25 said:

The best way to get started is to find a very low population server and stay under the radar. Build yourself up and take it over.

That's actually the exact opposite of what you should do on Official pvp. Noobs can't build up "Under the radar" on Official PvP. Low pop servers are usually either dead from a raid, and usually suffer continual griefing afterwards (This type of griefing easily wipes new players and tribes), or are low pop because its a key server for an already established group.

This game doesn't have a skill curve that allows you to "Covertly build up and take over" a server. Couple that with the wide-spread abuse of both exploits and third party programs and the advice you give is a recipe for disaster. Instead, new players should look for fairly high pop servers, spawn new characters there, and scout them. There are a few different kinds of groups in Official PvP, and a couple of them are welcoming to noobs/new players. 

Assuming we're talking about PvP of course. Easier in PvE. Just spend a couple days trying to find a decent place that isn't pillared off, and start playing single player. 

Archived