Rollback on prime time ?

Guest vassiliOFP85

31 minutes ago, Lancelot4u said:

First, I'd like to know whats up with Wildcard doing major updates on weekends?

Any other time my opinion might be different, but this update was announced well in advance.  Everyone knew full well that a huge update was scheduled for this weekend, so folks complaining about the timing of it, like they were somehow caught by surprise, is a little odd.  That being said, I do fully understand the opinion that it was inconvenient for them, but the time to voice that might have been better when the update was first announced.

19 minutes ago, Lostmymarbles said:

if you check the video out they have apes on aberration going hand over hand on the zip lines

His point was that prior to this patch there were no apes on Aberration to tame, and therefore no tamed "old apes" to lose levels.  Just apes tamed after this patch dropped... the pic was to show them post patch.  The roll back was likely to remove any tamed immediately after the patch, and fix the error so that it would not continue to happen.

As to the rest I'm going to make an observation from the point of view of someone whose been gaming since the Commodore 64 days.  I never plan involved game activities the day a major patch drops, including something serious like breeding or moving a character in this particular game.  Things can and do go wrong in (especially major) patches all the time, in literally every game I've ever played.  So while yes, technically you can do these things right away, in reality it's often an unwise thing to do.

I'm not saying this to defend an error slipping through, we all know that happens frequently in the gaming world.... no, it's just something that may not be obvious to everyone.  Something learned the hard way after my doing exactly as many here have done.... so please don't take this as a criticism.  It's intended as a suggestion that may prove valuable to you in the future.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frozenhole said:

Because your company rolled back the servers during prime time no warning due to bad software.

Keep in mind that if they hadn't done the roll back and fix immediately it would have been far worse for the player base, as more apes would have been tamed in the meantime... and the rollback would have still had to go back to the same point in time.  It would have been far worse to wait.

2 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Any other time my opinion might be different, but this update was announced well in advance.  Everyone knew full well that a huge update was scheduled for this weekend, so folks complaining about the timing of it, like they were somehow caught by surprise, is a little odd.  That being said, I do fully understand the opinion that it was inconvenient for them, but the time to voice that might have been better when the update was first announced.

His point was that prior to this patch there were no apes on Aberration to tame, and therefore no tamed "old apes" to lose levels.  Just apes tamed after this patch dropped... the pic to show them post patch.  The roll back was likely to remove any tamed immediately after the patch, and fix the error so that it would not continue to happen.

As to the rest I'm going to make an observation from the point of view of someone whose been gaming since the Commodore 64 days.  I never plan involved game activities the day a major patch drops, including something serious like breeding or moving a character in this particular game, for a day or so after a patch drops.  Things can and do go wrong in (especially major) patches all the time, in literally every game I've ever played.  So while yes, technically you can do these things right away, in reality it's often an unwise thing to do.

I'm not saying this to defend an error slipping through, we all know that happens frequently in the gaming world.... no, it's just something that may not be obvious to everyone.  Something learned the hard way after my doing exactly as many here have done.... so please don't take this as a criticism.  It's intended as a suggestion that may prove valuable to you in the future.

the update was scheduled for feb 18th which of course is well in advance i agree on that... it was moved forward to feb 10 like ... on feb the 10th? which is no where near well in advance.

the fact that its bad if not even plain retarded to release a major patch on a weekend during an event stands no matter what.

the fact that this "major" update obviously wasnt tested since the most obvious test wouldve been to check what happens to old dinos if one is to change the models stands as well.

yes you dont play on patch day ... normally for big AAA games patch day is during the week and not on the weekends when people actually have time to play and yes theres a lot of people you dont see only throughout the week but only on the weekends...

all in all WC is obviously a too unexpienced company to deal with a FULLY RELEASED triple-A game (which i guess they want ark to be)

Just now, isu said:

Ranger1, you know that all items which were uploaded during rollback time got duped + all characters downloaded from cloud in same time got LOST.

Well, I figure it's likely that it was done on short notice to keep any duping attempts to a minimum.  Some people are always going to try when there is a roll back, regardless of what WC do.  Far from ideal, I agree.

Character uploads that happen to fall during the time affected by a rollback are going to cause issues for some folks as well.  That's why I gave the personal advice on not doing it directly after a patch like this.  I've learned that lesson, in various ways and in various games, too many times in the past.  Again, not a criticism of anyone that did it anyway.

Guest vassiliOFP85
2 minutes ago, MrNomad said:

My server was just setback to day 0 O.o WHAT?

don't worry, means it's restarting, it's loading save...

2 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Well, I figure it's likely that it was done on short notice to keep any duping attempts to a minimum.  Some people are always going to try when there is a roll back, regardless of what WC do.  Far from ideal, I agree.

Character uploads that happen to fall during the time affected by a rollback are going to cause issues for some folks as well.  That's why I gave the personal advice on not doing it directly after a patch like this.  I've learned that lesson, in various ways and in various games, too many times in the past.  Again, not a criticism of anyone that did it anyway.

people want to play on the weekend plain and simple.... dont do patches on the weekend and people might even be like "ok i dont play today because i dont have much time for it anways"

Guest vassiliOFP85
1 minute ago, Gluupor said:

people want to play on the weekend plain and simple.... dont do patches on the weekend and people might even be like "ok i dont play today because i dont have much time for it anways"

TOTALLY agreed. It's WC that shouldn't push patched on weekends... NOT US that should not play there !!

Archived