Major Update at key playtime nice one

vtallbloke

18 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

The argument is 100% relevant, you did nothing to address it. The importance of an argument or assertion within a discussion doesn't change because someone says, "nuh uh!" The concept of an always-active player base is a significant part of the discussion and directly addresses the argument you and many others have made in suggesting that Wildcard move updates to a more "convenient" time. The casual nature with which you dismiss said argument doesn't render the argument moot, it just indicates that your ability to rebut the point is limited at best or, more realistically, missing entirely.

The fundamental core of this discussion is the frustration certain players have experienced when having to update the game while they're in the middle of playing the game. The reality of this situation is that there will always be someone playing this game, meaning there will always be disappointment and vitriolic tantrums thrown when updates are pushed. Changing the time of day won't fix this, it will just inconvenience someone else...and that's what people, including you, are really asking for. "This isn't fair. Inconvenience someone else instead next time then it will be fair!"

That's not a solution. That's demanding preferential treatment based on geographical coincidence. 

No. The fundamental point here is that they are dropping updates during event weekends. If a patch drops at 10 pm in China on Saturday night, it's dropping at 9am? Saturday morning for those on the East coast US.  All day Saturday and Sunday for anyone = event times since it runs Friday night to Monday afternoon. Im sure WC runs the events like this so everyone in the world can get a full weekend event. It doesn't matter what time it drops on the weekends, all that matters is it's dropping during event hours- otherwise perceived as prime time since that's when most are inclined to play, during event times.

Does it really bother me at the end of the day? Nope. I download/install so fast it doesn't matter to me, but it's still inconsiderate. Is it a big deal? Nope. 

Thats all. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RawOrange said:

No. The fundamental point here is that they are dropping updates during event weekends. If a patch drops at 10 pm in China on Saturday night, it's dropping at 9am? Saturday morning for those on the East coast US.  All day Saturday and Sunday for anyone = event times since it runs Friday night to Monday afternoon. Im sure WC runs the events like this so everyone in the world can get a full weekend event. It doesn't matter what time it drops on the weekends, all that matters is it's dropping during event hours- otherwise perceived as prime time since that's when most are inclined to play, during event times.

Does it really bother me at the end of the day? Nope. I download/install so fast it doesn't matter to me, but it's still inconsiderate. Is it a big deal? Nope. 

Thats all. 

Was there a reason you quoted me here?

Also, who has complained about the Monday update dropping on a Monday?  The only complaints I have seen:

The update dropped 4 days after the PS4 update (Microsoft doesn't get in a hurry when certifying stuff) 

The UWP update requires a re-download of the entire game (63 GB for base game, 11 for scorched earth, 15 for aberration) 

And my newer complaint: the last 3 patches have completely broken my game for me requiring me to uninstall and reinstall the entire game resulting in a final download size of almost 200 GB. 

I have been all over both these forums and reddit and haven't seen a single complaint about the Xbox/UWP patch dropping on a Monday. 

18 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Was there a reason you quoted me here?

Your argument was that it will always be prime time for someone in the world given how time zones work- So when patches drop, despite the time, someone will always be inconvenienced. I said that argument is irrelevant when we're referring to specifically event weekends where no matter where you are in the world, your Saturday and Sunday will include the event given how WC is running the event from Friday evening to Monday afternoon. OP isn't talking about patches dropping on a Tuesday afternoon or Thursday night. 

9 hours ago, RawOrange said:

Your argument was that it will always be prime time for someone in the world given how time zones work- So when patches drop, despite the time, someone will always be inconvenienced. I said that argument is irrelevant when we're referring to specifically event weekends where no matter where you are in the world, your Saturday and Sunday will include the event given how WC is running the event from Friday evening to Monday afternoon. OP isn't talking about patches dropping on a Tuesday afternoon or Thursday night. 

I really think you should re-familiarize the chain of conversation here. The conversation you cannonballed into wasn't "referring to specifically event weekends." It was referring to one persons' assertion that big companies never push updates during prime time. I asked why you quoted me because you're arguing a point I was never arguing against. If you want to argue whether or not updates should happen on weekends, it will be a short argument.

15 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

I really think you should re-familiarize the chain of conversation here. The conversation you cannonballed into wasn't "referring to specifically event weekends." It was referring to one persons' assertion that big companies never push updates during prime time. I asked why you quoted me because you're arguing a point I was never arguing against. If you want to argue whether or not updates should happen on weekends, it will be a short argument.

This particular argument has nothing to do with companies pushing petty patches during prime hours, but rather an argument you made against someone else which I quoted. The company argument was before that. For some reason many of the posts have been deleted for some reason. 

On 2/21/2018 at 5:54 PM, LouSpowells said:

"The complaints will stop if you'd simply inconvenience someone else instead!" 

Expecting that changing the time/day of the update will reduce or prevent people who are going to complain no matter what from complaining about the time/day of the update is dumb. This whole thread is a joke.

its about what time negatively affect the fewest people. what they are saying is if you do the update between tues and thurs it will impact the fewest people. this is fact.

why is this even a debate? they are not saying the weekend affects them and thats why it shouldn't happen. they are saying it affect more people on the weekend then during the week. 

seems like a no-brainer to me.  and as a no- brainer why do you feel its wrong or people don't have the right to express this point?

45 minutes ago, IamTANK said:

its about what time negatively affect the fewest people. what they are saying is if you do the update between tues and thurs it will impact the fewest people. this is fact.

why is this even a debate? they are not saying the weekend affects them and thats why it shouldn't happen. they are saying it affect more people on the weekend then during the week. 

seems like a no-brainer to me.  and as a no- brainer why do you feel its wrong or people don't have the right to express this point?

Dude...at no point did I ever suggest that no one has the right to express their point about pushing updates on weekends...or any time/day for that matter. Like I said to RawOrange, if you want to make an argument against pushing updates on the weekends, it will be a short argument. My rebuttal to that argument will be, "I agree." The point I am making is simple and hasn't changed: 

I disagree with the argument that pushing updates at "Non-peak times" will have any effect on people complaining about update times...especially now that complaining about update times is a forum meme.

2 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Dude...at no point did I ever suggest that no one has the right to express their point about pushing updates on weekends...or any time/day for that matter. Like I said to RawOrange, if you want to make an argument against pushing updates on the weekends, it will be a short argument. My rebuttal to that argument will be, "I agree." The point I am making is simple and hasn't changed: 

I disagree with the argument that pushing updates at "Non-peak times" will have any effect on people complaining about update times...especially now that complaining about update times is a forum meme.

that may be true but i dont think legitimate gripes should be discounted because they are among a sea of bogus complaints. after all that is partially why the forum exists. to discuss the games strengths and weaknesses and users opinions on each. i will contend that not everyone articulate their views in a constructive and , or civil manner. but passions run high in some cases and i feel many people disagree with anything negative as if it were a personal attack or something. 

sorry if i mis read your view . tone and emotion are difficult things to convey and interpret via text. and i feel this may be the cause of my initial misunderstanding of your viewpoint.

3 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

and to further the original point. 

people complaining on the forums isn't the problem that needs to be fixed . 

the real thing to consider is when can they push an update , to negatively affect the fewest amount of people in the process. im  not talking about forum users or what will stop complaining.

im talking about the entirety of active daily players. im pretty sure the answer to that is during the week when there are way fewer average players at any time during the day/night . 

i really dont see any legitimate argument for why it would be bad to push patches when there are fewer people online and its during normal business hours for wc . it sounds like a win/ win for most people involved.

3 hours ago, IamTANK said:

that may be true but i dont think legitimate gripes should be discounted because they are among a sea of bogus complaints. after all that is partially why the forum exists. to discuss the games strengths and weaknesses and users opinions on each. i will contend that not everyone articulate their views in a constructive and , or civil manner. but passions run high in some cases and i feel many people disagree with anything negative as if it were a personal attack or something. 

sorry if i mis read your view . tone and emotion are difficult things to convey and interpret via text. and i feel this may be the cause of my initial misunderstanding of your viewpoint.

2 hours ago, IamTANK said:

and to further the original point. 

people complaining on the forums isn't the problem that needs to be fixed . 

the real thing to consider is when can they push an update , to negatively affect the fewest amount of people in the process. im  not talking about forum users or what will stop complaining.

im talking about the entirety of active daily players. im pretty sure the answer to that is during the week when there are way fewer average players at any time during the day/night . 

i really dont see any legitimate argument for why it would be bad to push patches when there are fewer people online and its during normal business hours for wc . it sounds like a win/ win for most people involved.

I agree that tone and emotion are difficult to convey. In no way am I trying to discount anyone's gripes. I agree that the gripes are legitimate, and that's what made it feel like you're coming back to me with arguments to points I'm not making. 

The point I responded to implied that changing the time of patches would solve the problem and stop the complaints. I said there isn't a time of day where everyone who thinks that they play at peak play time is not affected by an update. Those who get the short end of the stick aren't going straight to the Steam Charts to see if their complaints are valid. 

I agree that problem shouldn't be stopping the complaints because they're going to come no matter what. Personally, I think they should push their updates whenever they have the most staff on hand and available to patch whatever needs fixing when it goes live. The way things have been going the last few, an odd-hours update seems like a recipe for disaster.

Archived