Major Update at key playtime nice one

vtallbloke

So at prime time over the weekend you guys think is the best time to drop the next major update?

10/10 for balls -several million for good planing.

Seriously prime time for us Euro players - I know its always likely to be evenings for us, but on the weekend cmon chaps.

We have not had a breeding event again for almost a month. I am guessing the valentines day event wont be offering this like previous years either?

Can we please look ( I know you have had lots of requests over this already) to not be dropping major updates over a weekend? thanks again for your consideration

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, KrazedOne said:

I don't have an issue with the update happening when I'm trying to play the game. I have an issue with a 1.1 GB file taking an hour to install. Why do the updates, no matter the size, take forever to write to the disk?

If it's taking an hour to install then it must be something with your machine. Mine has already downloaded and installed, nowhere near an hour.

If it was my machine, then it would be affecting all other installs and downloads. I've had  a couple of different downloads today, totaling about 10 GBs, and those finished pretty quickly, as in about 30 minutes. 

The last update (6.6 GB) took over 3 hours to install, and that was for myself and 4 other people trying to update to be able to play on my dedicated server. Mine took 3 hours, wife's took 4 hours, 1 friend didn't get to play till the next day, and the other two took 2 hours each. 

If this was just my machine, why are there so many others that have the same issue when trying to download the updates?

1 hour ago, ElMariachi2004 said:

why don´t you send them your weekly schedule plan so that they can plan their updates accordingly?

Dont be an ass.

You know exactly what I mean. There are no test servers so exactly what we fear has happened, they rolled out a broken update that now needs a rollback. So for all the euro players, thats another wasted evening, at prime time (namely the weekends)

Im not comparing this to other online games, but most of those patch on a tues - thurs away from prime playtimes of the weekend.

1 hour ago, KrazedOne said:

I don't have an issue with the update happening when I'm trying to play the game. I have an issue with a 1.1 GB file taking an hour to install. Why do the updates, no matter the size, take forever to write to the disk?

I'm not sure why your update would go so slow.  I just got my updates caught up (3.2 GB total), started at 4:40pm and comleted at 5:05pm... so something is amiss somewhere that isn't causing the same slow update experience for everyone.  The timeframe on the other updates you have done don't shed much light on the matter as different updates can have your system doing radically different things.

As a side note, gentlemen, lets try to avoid personal insults in this thread please.

2 hours ago, vtallbloke said:

Dont be an ass.

You know exactly what I mean. There are no test servers so exactly what we fear has happened, they rolled out a broken update that now needs a rollback. So for all the euro players, thats another wasted evening, at prime time (namely the weekends)

Im not comparing this to other online games, but most of those patch on a tues - thurs away from prime playtimes of the weekend.

Sorry, I know what you mean, I am just kinda sick of ppl complaining about everything. Too much updates? "Why do you update so often?" Few updates "Please update this crap!" 

Didn´t mean to be rude, just wanted to make a funny reply ;) I played over 2.5K hours, believe me, I know this company, perhaps that is why I am kinda relaxed now when it comes to updates and ETAs. And I played subnautica the last week, just started to play ARK again after a longer break. Just relax, don´t mind eagles walking in the air (hilarious btw^^) and enjoy the game :)

1 hour ago, metsfan92286 said:

Have you ever played a game made by any other company? No one rolls out major content patches on saturday nights.  

Yeah I know, I am just more relaxed these days, had a week off, no pressure and some other games to play and wildcard acting strange is nothing new to me ;) But I understand that it suxx if you want to play, sorry.

to be honest, looking at the twitter feed, I didnt fair as badly as many others.

100s of characters appear to be lost (even after the second rollback/fix) so loosing a few hours not so bad after all.

I am not going to be moving servers for a day or 2 though, incase I get caught up in the lost char scenario.

Im slightly worried about people saying "duping" is all back again, the game is still got a long way to go- This was why I did not buy aberation

11 hours ago, GP said:

If it's taking an hour to install then it must be something with your machine. Mine has already downloaded and installed, nowhere near an hour.

It's a known issue with downloading Ark through Steam. For some reason, Ark, and seemingly Ark alone, has issues with certain download nodes. For instance, the 9 odd GB patch they put out last major version took me 45 minutes to download and install if I downloaded it from Mexico, but if I tried to use a US node, the download speed was around 5-10 KB/S. It isn't necessarily my computer, as about 20-25 of my tribe mates, from places ranging from Brazil to Germany, were having similar issues with non-Mexico download nodes. It should be stated that yes, it was Ark specific for some reason, as I had no issues downloading PUBG updates literally minutes before in a normal amount of time from my native US node. 

Regardless of which part of the world you are in, they released a 3.2gb patch on a weekend. Weekends are not only the most popular times for people to play (for obvious reasons) but Wild Card themselves actually encourage more people to play on weekends by giving everyone EVO events.

So to go and release this big TLC update, with no warning when it was supposed to be released some time next week. Is not just bizarre, but also poor planning from a fan's point of view.

But I guess if the devs cared about what fans wanted, we wouldn't be seeing a lot of the changes that we are... *shrug*

2 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Regardless of which part of the world you are in, they released a 3.2gb patch on a weekend. Weekends are not only the most popular times for people to play (for obvious reasons) but Wild Card themselves actually encourage more people to play on weekends by giving everyone EVO events.

So to go and release this big TLC update, with no warning when it was supposed to be released some time next week. Is not just bizarre, but also poor planning from a fan's point of view.

But I guess if the devs cared about what fans wanted, we wouldn't be seeing a lot of the changes that we are... *shrug*

Ill be completely honest with you. The patch was probably internally slated for something more reasonable, like a week or two ago, and then due to whatever in the code not compiling, it got delayed until now, where they immediately released it. The devs do actually care, but it is worth remarking on how poor their timing and management in general seems to be. 

Guest DJRone89
11 minutes ago, iAmE said:

It's a known issue with downloading Ark through Steam. For some reason, Ark, and seemingly Ark alone, has issues with certain download nodes. For instance, the 9 odd GB patch they put out last major version took me 45 minutes to download and install if I downloaded it from Mexico, but if I tried to use a US node, the download speed was around 5-10 KB/S. It isn't necessarily my computer, as about 20-25 of my tribe mates, from places ranging from Brazil to Germany, were having similar issues with non-Mexico download nodes. It should be stated that yes, it was Ark specific for some reason, as I had no issues downloading PUBG updates literally minutes before in a normal amount of time from my native US node. 

Same issue on Xbox. I have around 40 down but Ark updates can crawl to below 1kb/s.

Just now, DJRone89 said:

Same issue on Xbox. I have around 40 down but Ark updates can crawl to below 1kb/s.

If possible, try switching your download region to like, Mexico. There's something messed up between Ark's main download server, and some of the download nodes in Steam, which is resolved by using other regions to force a different IP route. A similar solution may be applicable in your case with consoles as well. 

13 minutes ago, iAmE said:

Ill be completely honest with you. The patch was probably internally slated for something more reasonable, like a week or two ago, and then due to whatever in the code not compiling, it got delayed until now, where they immediately released it. The devs do actually care, but it is worth remarking on how poor their timing and management in general seems to be. 

The TLC was planned to be released on Feruary 18 and for some reason they changed the date to the 10th.

5 minutes ago, Weiss said:

The TLC was planned to be released on Feruary 18 and for some reason they changed the date to the 10th.

I aware of that, I'm just skeptical of it, due to the fact that if this was true, it's the first time since steam release that I've seen Wildcard has ever release something on time, or before their predicted date. That or they cut something major out of it along the way. 

5 minutes ago, iAmE said:

I aware of that, I'm just skeptical of it, due to the fact that if this was true, it's the first time since steam release that I've seen Wildcard has ever release something on time, or before their predicted date. That or they cut something major out of it along the way. 

Ah ok, now I understand! 

55 minutes ago, iAmE said:

Because you were going to lie to me about your opinion?

Archived