TLC patch this weekend ?

Guest vassiliOFP85

Guest vassiliOFP85

Anyone else is worried by the TLC patch they're going to push to comp servers this weekend ? TLC means upgraded graphics, means high textures... What kind of patch size can we expect in your opinion ? My slow connection is going to suffer... Again, and i think we're numerous in this case.

And by the way, isn't it possible for WC to push a "pre-download" of a patch like a week in advance, so people aren't stuck when a big patch magically hits the servers ?

Just my thoughts...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, vassiliOFP85 said:

Anyone else is worried by the TLC patch they're going to push to comp servers this weekend ? TLC means upgraded graphics, means high textures... What kind of patch size can we expect in your opinion ? My slow connection is going to suffer... Again, and i think we're numerous in this case.

And by the way, isn't it possible for WC to push a "pre-download" of a patch like a week in advance, so people aren't stuck when a big patch magically hits the servers ?

Just my thoughts...

Well that would help with downloads.. preload most of the files during the week, then the final download of files on the day of the drop.. might mean you download a file or two twice if it changes between the initial load and the final released version if they are still working on it up until drop day..

2 minutes ago, GP said:

Not worried no, excited yes!

That's how I feel towards console's release date. I hope the ETA turns into a confirmed date.. Really just need a gaming computer so I don't have to live in the past for PC anymore. But I guess I do get the benefit of not living through so many bugs PC players have to... so maybe it's a balance?

• Volunteer Moderator
23 minutes ago, vassiliOFP85 said:

Don't think WC can do this mainly since they don't host the files you are downloading. WoW used to have this problem as well at some point they had to build an entire mechanism and application to background download the game. But they had/have full control of the servers and backend that issued those files. WC doesn't.

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Don't think WC can do this mainly since they don't host the files you are downloading. WoW used to have this problem as well at some point they had to build an entire mechanism and application to background download the game. But they had/have full control of the servers and backend that issued those files. WC doesn't.

Basically this. There are a lot of feature requests I've seen in Ark forums that echo features which are commonplace in Blizzard games. Unfortunately it's not always easy to recognize the technological and financial limitations that prevent most game developers from implementing similar features...especially smaller studios that don't have the luxuries that go along with 25 years in the industry, untold millions of copies sold, 6 paid expansions released, and 14 years of millions of people paying $14.99 per month. (Among other things) 

1 hour ago, vassiliOFP85 said:

Just my thoughts...

I have some concerns...but I'm not necessarily worried. The patch size will probably be very large, and your connection will probably suffer. People will get mad, there will be a couple new "I'm not buying a new hard drive" threads with people talking about how big the game files are...but aside from the process should be fairly cut and dry. It'd be nice if they could do some pre-patch downloads, but I just don't think that's something that will be possible any time int he near future. 

Drake [ Lead Engineer ] tweeted
Releasing ARK 278 ("Dino TLC1" update) early -- this weekend -- means it'll also be coming to consoles early, along with various Ragnarok updates. Looking like approximately Feb 20 for the console versions!"
"PC TLC Phase #1 ETA has been updated to the 10th of February. Check out our upcoming patch notes here:"

Guest DJRone89
4 hours ago, SirPeter said:

Bummer it used to say Feb 18 for consoles. 

No it didn’t. It said the 18th for PC only and nothing for consoles. Now we have an actual ETA.

Was really surprised when they moved the ETA forward with their record of often pushing their estimates. I mean, ofc I know ETAs are just that - estimates - and very susceptible to delays, but I love that the estimates are pushed earlier, too, sometimes :D

Just had to share, sitting here 9:40 am (my time) and like: "what time could it possibly be in the states?", "what time do I think it will come out?". I feel like a little girl at Christmas xP

12 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Excited? yes.

Concerned? also yes, because releasing big patches during weekend usually means that any problems that will pop up will go unattended until monday/tuesday of next week. It also disrupts breeding/raising people usually do during weekends.

+1

• Volunteer Moderator
48 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Excited? yes.

Concerned? also yes, because releasing big patches during weekend usually means that any problems that will pop up will go unattended until monday/tuesday of next week. It also disrupts breeding/raising people usually do during weekends.

Not necessarily. If a patch drops at weekends generally it is only console that may have to wait until Monday due to cert process. PC updates on weekends rarely have to wait until Monday/Tuesday to get it fixed.

Btw they said Feb 10th Afternoon Eastern, so a bit of a wait yet. I suspect for Europe and further it will be very late Saturday/Early Sunday at the earliest.

43 minutes ago, GP said:

Not necessarily. If a patch drops at weekends generally it is only console that may have to wait until Monday due to cert process. PC updates on weekends rarely have to wait until Monday/Tuesday to get it fixed.

That would imply that they work 7 days a week which has been proven incorrect several times in the past when updates were pushed to the end of the week and then not attended until the next week.

8 minutes ago, RoyHess666 said:

After this "patch" (again - like most of the time - without patch notes) the game still says v277.0

Maybe they had to fix another unintentional game mechanic? ;-D

I wish Studio Wildcard would be - massively a lot extreme - better at publishing patch notes along with the release of the patch itself.

Maybe it’s something to do with the note at the top of the forums being removed 

Archived