Missed Opportunity Dinosaurs

Akherousia

Do you feel there are any creatures in the game that were sort of a missed opportunity for Ark? Something that could have been handled different, or perhaps given new abilities like we might see with the TLC pass?

I personally feel a bit disappointed and let down by the Dilophosaurus. It's actually one of my favorite dinosaurs, but it's a bit of a joke in Ark because of how it follows the fictional representation from Jurassic Park. Not just referring to the frill and the venom, which I don't mind, but the diminutive size, too. Dilophosaurs stood about as tall as an average man, if not taller, and were pretty impressive with their 7m length. I like the current Dilophosaurus, but it really is nothing more than a beginner 'defense' tame, and then later a mere pet, and I can't help but be a little bit disappointed considering how cool it would be to see a properly sized Dilophosaurus roaming through the woods or, of course, getting to ride on the back of one. 

I would like to see if they have any plans on giving it some work with the TLC patches, but I think we all know it will likely only contain a reskin and maybe a new ability or two, but the possibility of having a full-sized, rideable variant are essentially non-existent.

Any other creatures in the game that you feel that way about?

12 minutes ago, Akherousia said:

Do you feel there are any creatures in the game that were sort of a missed opportunity for Ark? Something that could have been handled different, or perhaps given new abilities like we might see with the TLC pass?

I personally feel a bit disappointed and let down by the Dilophosaurus. It's actually one of my favorite dinosaurs, but it's a bit of a joke in Ark because of how it follows the fictional representation from Jurassic Park. Not just referring to the frill and the venom, which I don't mind, but the diminutive size, too. Dilophosaurs stood about as tall as an average man, if not taller, and were pretty impressive with their 7m length. I like the current Dilophosaurus, but it really is nothing more than a beginner 'defense' tame, and then later a mere pet, and I can't help but be a little bit disappointed considering how cool it would be to see a properly sized Dilophosaurus roaming through the woods or, of course, getting to ride on the back of one. 

I would like to see if they have any plans on giving it some work with the TLC patches, but I think we all know it will likely only contain a reskin and maybe a new ability or two, but the possibility of having a full-sized, rideable variant are essentially non-existent.

Any other creatures in the game that you feel that way about?

Quote so you see this

5 minutes ago, Sharpshot879 said:

Liopleuradon,enough said really

I completely forgot about that.
What an absolute disappointment. I was hoping it would be a halfway point between a Megalodon and a Mosasaur, but it ended up being this entirely fictional interpretation of an otherwise awesome predator with an underwhelming ability. If they were going to give us something like this, I feel like it would be better suited to a land dino since sea drops are so far spread apart. Unless you get lucky enough to find one near a cave, you're pretty much out of luck.

I was really excited to get my hands on one until they revealed what it was going to do.

2 minutes ago, BigRed1227 said:

Diplo, meso, scorp,  sarco, trike, parasour, 

Could you elaborate, though?
Trike upsets me a little bit because I think we could honestly have a Styracosaurus as an alternative Rhino of sorts, but we can't because they went the hybrid route with the Trike. Diplo is just a waste of space but the mobility is nice.

Diplo is fast as all get out. For a midget Bronto, it can scoot if you level movement. We used to have diplo races on legacy. But 0 defense. Can nudge preditors off cliffs but that's it. Needs a tail whip or stomp ability to make it relevant. 

The meso, cute shoulder pet, can unlock basic wooden doors but that's it. Throws poop at attackers? I guess useful in PvP, but pve, no point.

The scorpion, really only good for the eggs. U can't breed them.

Sarco needs some more abilities. Ie. Tail whip and roll. Weak water mount but decent in speed.

Trike is good as a starter dino, but definitely needs a charge+ impale attack. Maybe also a pack attack or defensive line attack, it would make it viable again.

And then there is the parasour. Strictly a kibb dino now. Really nothing else useful about them. Decent mobility dino when you are a noob but is now out. Classed by the iguanadon.

I'll  add 2 more. 

The plesi and the megalodon 

Plesi is slow and really just derpy af.  Hit box is terrible

Megalodon really should be much bigger. As it stands now, it' about the size of a great white. No special attacks, no jump attacks or sprint attacks. Great whites swim deep then sprint up to grab prey, that's how they leap out of the water. 0 usefulness. Greatly outclassed by mosa and squid

Carno - its basically a stronger raptor and weaker allo. No special abilities.. Not worth to tame and keep.. 

Diplo - useless except for the odd prime meat from it.. The schoolbus idea is cool but cannot have a platform saddle to defend the "elementryschool kids" being transported

Mammoths could also get a platformsaddle

I do agree the megalodon should be muuuuch larger

Terrorbird - gliding is neat yes... Otherwise completely useless in my books.. Not sure what could be changed to those..

Moth - holy jebus this thing needs stam and movement speed upgrades

Compy - not many people i talk to ever have tamed one.. I have, theyre kinda neat on your shoulder but unless theyre in a group theyre way worse than the other shoulderpets

8 minutes ago, Phyrist said:

Carno - its basically a stronger raptor and weaker allo. No special abilities.. Not worth to tame and keep.. 

Diplo - useless except for the odd prime meat from it.. The schoolbus idea is cool but cannot have a platform saddle to defend the "elementryschool kids" being transported

Mammoths could also get a platformsaddle

I do agree the megalodon should be muuuuch larger

Terrorbird - gliding is neat yes... Otherwise completely useless in my books.. Not sure what could be changed to those..

Moth - holy jebus this thing needs stam and movement speed upgrades

Compy - not many people i talk to ever have tamed one.. I have, theyre kinda neat on your shoulder but unless theyre in a group theyre way worse than the other shoulderpets

I tamed a heard of compies just to get the eggs. Once I get about 300, they will die by my spear

Oh god, the moth! Forgot about that. Yea......only good for silk

2 hours ago, Akherousia said:

Could you elaborate, though?
Trike upsets me a little bit because I think we could honestly have a Styracosaurus as an alternative Rhino of sorts, but we can't because they went the hybrid route with the Trike. Diplo is just a waste of space but the mobility is nice.

Trikes are strong, if you Tame a high level trike at the start of the game nothing can really touch you and a max level kibble trike is a beast, breed one and put a good saddle on it and it will take anything in the wild except titans gigs and alpha rexs. Even a low level will kill alpha raptors. They got good weight, good health, decent knock backs and a fast attack. 

I tamed a 145 with Berrys at the start of aberation, the map was easy from then on (lvl 20) it could kill packs of 4 high level Ravengers easy, nameless crabs no problems and the knock back makes it so a mega can't even hit you. 

10 hours ago, BigRed1227 said:

Diplo is fast as all get out. For a midget Bronto, it can scoot if you level movement. We used to have diplo races on legacy. But 0 defense. Can nudge preditors off cliffs but that's it. Needs a tail whip or stomp ability to make it relevant. 

The meso, cute shoulder pet, can unlock basic wooden doors but that's it. Throws poop at attackers? I guess useful in PvP, but pve, no point.

The scorpion, really only good for the eggs. U can't breed them.

Sarco needs some more abilities. Ie. Tail whip and roll. Weak water mount but decent in speed.

Trike is good as a starter dino, but definitely needs a charge+ impale attack. Maybe also a pack attack or defensive line attack, it would make it viable again.

And then there is the parasour. Strictly a kibb dino now. Really nothing else useful about them. Decent mobility dino when you are a noob but is now out. Classed by the iguanadon.

I'll  add 2 more. 

The plesi and the megalodon 

Plesi is slow and really just derpy af.  Hit box is terrible

Megalodon really should be much bigger. As it stands now, it' about the size of a great white. No special attacks, no jump attacks or sprint attacks. Great whites swim deep then sprint up to grab prey, that's how they leap out of the water. 0 usefulness. Greatly outclassed by mosa and squid

Thanks for elaborating. I absolutely agree that the Diplo needs a whip attack. I like the idea of it being this large, tanky support herbivore and I don't necessarily think it needs to be able to deal damage, but it seems strange to have it unable to do it's 'trademark move'. Diplodocus are always featured in films and documentaries as using their long tails like a whip, and it could either do damage or continue with the support role and stun targets. It would make Diplos actually quite viable in alpha hunting, taming, and even PvP. I wouldn't be surprised if this is coming with the TLC, though.

Meso doesn't need to be useful, it's a shoulder pet. I think it should be able to unlock higher than basic wood, though, but I also don't feel like shoulder pets need to be viable, necessarily.

Agreed on Scorpion, but I don't think the Sarco needs a tail whip. Something to make it more viable in the water would be great, though. Agreed.

Parasaur's only advantage seems to be that the saddle comes earlier. It's a nice mobility mount and packmule, but I agree, the Iguanodon is simply better.

There are honestly so many things they could make the Trike do as an improvement, and I'm really excited to see what they choose to go with, but I do feel like the Trike is fine as it is. 

7 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Trikes are strong, if you Tame a high level trike at the start of the game nothing can really touch you and a max level kibble trike is a beast, breed one and put a good saddle on it and it will take anything in the wild except titans gigs and alpha rexs. Even a low level will kill alpha raptors. They got good weight, good health, decent knock backs and a fast attack. 

I tamed a 145 with Berrys at the start of aberation, the map was easy from then on (lvl 20) it could kill packs of 4 high level Ravengers easy, nameless crabs no problems and the knock back makes it so a mega can't even hit you. 

You either missed the point, or meant to quote BigRed, but even then you would've missed the point. I'm arguing that the Trike is a missed opportunity in that its lore locks out the possibility of getting a Styracosaurus down the road, which would be a really cool tame to have in the game. Red is simply saying that there is room to make it more interesting, but not once did he argue it was a bad tame. Neither of us did.

Archived