Kassien

I apologize if there is a post already about this (I seriously did try to look) or if this belongs in another part of the forums.  

I've got an unofficial server going with The Island as the main map.

At first I was only running The Island, until recently I've decided tried to take that and build it into a cluster and run Scorched Earth along with it. 

I've followed the guides out there trying to follow any examples I could to get it working. 

I have a machine running Ubuntu 16.04. Using system commands to run ARK as a service. 

The Island runs perfectly, but Scorched Earth doesn't seem to be running at all. On Steam's server's list it shows up with the SessionName, but no map and 0/0 players connected. When I try and connect anyways, it gives me a Network Error, Unable to Query for Invite. I am using a firewall, but as a test I completely brought down the firewall, with the same results. And yes where I've put <session> and <clustername> I fill in, that's not what I've actual put. And I've updated to the latest version of ARK 277. 

My Start for The Island

[Unit]
Description=ARK Survival Evolved
[Service]
Type=simple
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5
StartLimitInterval=60s
StartLimitBurst=3
User=arksurvival
Group=arksurvival
ExecStartPre=/home/arksurvival/steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/arksurvival/server +app_update 376030 +quit
ExecStart=/home/arksurvival/server/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?SessionName=<session>?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015 -NoTransferFromFiltering -clusterid=<clustername> -server -log
ExecStop=killall -TERM srcds_linux
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Command to run Scorched Earth. 

[Unit]
Description=ARK Survival Evolved
[Service]
Type=simple
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5
StartLimitInterval=60s
StartLimitBurst=3
User=arksurvival
Group=arksurvival
ExecStart=/home/arksurvival/server/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer ScorchedEarth_P?SessionName=<session>?AltSaveDirectoryName=Saved2?Port=7779?QueryPort=27017 -NoTransferFromFiltering -clusterid=<clustername> -server -log
ExecStop=killall -TERM srcds_linux
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I do not host on Linux myself, so I cannot provide any Linux specific support.

But I do have 2 years experience running Ark from a private machine.

So I have a couple of questions: Are the ports you are using on SE open on both your router, and your firewall on your PC (assuming you have one)?
Also, is this line "-clusterid=<clustername>" in your start parameters just a placeholder or is that your actual cluster ID?

Did you install each server fresh, or did you install your island server then copy the folder and configure the copy to run SE?

Lastly, can you post a screenshot of both of your servers running side by side? I attached a photo of mine. Not sure if it looks like that on Linux, but it might give me an idea of what is wrong.

servers.png

So Yes, I've mess with the firewall. I've opened all of the required ports, as wells as disabled the firewall completely. Neither worked. 

<clustername> is just a place holder.

From what I read Linux doesn't need a fresh install, you run the same instance twice with difference map designated. 

I don't know how to see the server running like that. I followed https://linode.com/docs/game-servers/create-an-ark-survival-evolved-server-on-ubuntu-16-04/ as an example to setup the server initially. 

Have you tried running the scorched Earth map by itself ?

Have you specified a directory name for the cluster (-ClusterDirOverride=/Ark/ClusterDir) ?

Do you have the same clusterID and Cluster Directory specified for both maps?

And have you setup port forwarding for Scorched Earth?

On 2/11/2018 at 11:45 PM, DuoMog said:

Have you tried running the scorched Earth map by itself ?

Yes I've started it and ran the server by itself. Seemed to be just fine. I took the first script quotes above, and just changed the map. 

Have you specified a directory name for the cluster (-ClusterDirOverride=/Ark/ClusterDir) ?

Nope, something to try I supposed. I'll check it out and try.

Do you have the same clusterID and Cluster Directory specified for both maps?

Cluster ID yes. Directory No. 

And have you setup port forwarding for Scorched Earth?

It's the only server on it's IP, and only a firewall before it. I've opened the fire firewall to all ports, but the router routes all ports to that IP to the one server. 

2 hours ago, Kassien said:

Yes I've started it and ran the server by itself. Seemed to be just fine. I took the first script quotes above, and just changed the map. 

That doesn't test the port numbers you're using for SE.  Can you disable or remove the Island's config completely, and have just Scorhed Earth's config enabled.  You need to be confident that the port numbers you've used for Scorched Earth will work for you - by seeing it up and running.

A couple of observations...

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup  has a couple of lines in the example that you've missed.  I don't know if these are important.

Only your Island config looks for a server update.  If it starts to pull down an update, will SE try to start anyway, using whatever executable is there (and causing a potential mis-match of files)?

On 2/13/2018 at 11:53 PM, DuoMog said:

That doesn't test the port numbers you're using for SE.  Can you disable or remove the Island's config completely, and have just Scorhed Earth's config enabled.  You need to be confident that the port numbers you've used for Scorched Earth will work for you - by seeing it up and running.

I've disabled the firewall all together so ALL ports are open. Still no success. 

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup  has a couple of lines in the example that you've missed.  I don't know if these are important.

I'll take a look. 

Only your Island config looks for a server update.  If it starts to pull down an update, will SE try to start anyway, using whatever executable is there (and causing a potential mis-match of files)?

I've usually kept The Island started for a bit until the update has been completed and then start SE.

The Steam Server list shows the current version on both too and I've been updating the game regularly. 

So when I do a 'systemctl status arkscorched.services' I get a 

arkscorched.service - ARK Survival Evolved
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/arkscorched.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2018-02-15 10:42:51 MST; 57min ago
 Main PID: 31653 (ShooterGameServ)
   CGroup: /system.slice/arkscorched.service
           └─31653 /home/arksurvival/server/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer ScorchedEarth_P?listen?Sessiontame=Deep_Shadows_Scorched_Earth?Port=7779?QueryPort=27017 -NoTransferFromFiltering -clusterid=<myclusterID>

When I do the status on my island it gives me

arktheisland.service - ARK Survival Evolved
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/arktheisland.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2018-02-13 21:07:30 MST; 1 day 14h ago
  Process: 18176 ExecStartPre=/home/arksurvival/steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/arksurvival/server +app_update 376030 +quit (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 18205 (ShooterGameServ)
   CGroup: /system.slice/arktheisland.service
           └─18205 /home/arksurvival/server/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?SessionName=Deep_Shadows_The_Island?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015 -NoTransferFromFiltering -clusterid=<myclusterID>

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Yea. It's a lot simpler in the long term as it can self install to cron, do auto backups, and auto mod and server update.

When you do make it, just have all the 'default' config files ready, (Game.ini and GameUserSettings.ini) The config files for arkmanager are for commandline and other options.

It's easier to run multiple copies of the server folders, though it can apparently share them. The steam app side of things is also taken care of by this.

1 hour ago, Kassien said:

I've disabled the firewall all together so ALL ports are open. Still no success. 

Sorry, I don't think I explained too well.

Temporarily stop the Island map from running, and test Scorched Earth by itself on ports 7779 and 27017.  Does SE work if the Island isn't running.

Have you port-forwarded 7777 to 7780 and 27015 to 27018 (plus any RCon ports you use) ?

SOLVED: 

So I'm not sure exact what part I changed fixed this, but I did the following to both command lines. 

Removed ?listen? from both scripts

Removed -server -log from both scripts. 

And the last part, which is probably more likely the fix, I feel like was obvious. I was always hesitant to add a AltSaveDirectoryName= to the command for The Island. In fear I might have to start over. However, I added AltSaveDirectoryName=SavedArks (Which is the default for Ubuntu/Linux). 

One of those three things, got it working. I'm sure it was the later. 

9 hours ago, Kassien said:

SOLVED: 

So I'm not sure exact what part I changed fixed this, but I did the following to both command lines. 

Removed ?listen? from both scripts

Removed -server -log from both scripts. 

And the last part, which is probably more likely the fix, I feel like was obvious. I was always hesitant to add a AltSaveDirectoryName= to the command for The Island. In fear I might have to start over. However, I added AltSaveDirectoryName=SavedArks (Which is the default for Ubuntu/Linux). 

One of those three things, got it working. I'm sure it was the later. 

Nice one Kassien.

You should have a different directory for each map, otherwise you might have problems with tribes and survivors as (unlike the map save file) these don't have unique filenames across maps.

Sorry I didn't spot the missing parameter.

Archived