The future of Ark, after Extinction?

Guest DJRone89

5 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Be sure to check out the club. I still post all server news there. You only need the Xbox app on a mobile device to access it, turning on your Xbox is not necessary.

It’s my duty as a host to keep the community up to date with all things Ark, despite not playing the game myself, hence my activity on the forums.

And we all thank you and appreciate you for your dedication. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if you guys checked out the ending cinematic yet, but there is something clearly there. Won't spoiler it for people that want to see it themselves, but there must be something after this. I bet it's the transition to ARK 2, where we can (hopefully) keep our character but have it in a brand new engine. Another DLC wouldn't fit in tbh, it states in a lot of news posts that Extinction is the final DLC for the story of ARK.

1 hour ago, FluffyDinoPartey said:

I don't know if you guys checked out the ending cinematic yet, but there is something clearly there. Won't spoiler it for people that want to see it themselves, but there must be something after this. I bet it's the transition to ARK 2, where we can (hopefully) keep our character but have it in a brand new engine. Another DLC wouldn't fit in tbh, it states in a lot of news posts that Extinction is the final DLC for the story of ARK.

the ending cutscene shows there's more left to do, which could indeed mean another DLC down the line. also, the "ARK" storyline is just the first ARK, and the ones we've been on. ARK ENDS on earth, now we have a story on EARTH to tell. it makes sense

BEYOND IS SPOILERS

Spoiler

All the ARKs return to earth on Extinction. the ARKs are no more, so ARK's story is over, that's not a question. Aberration came down with, and reactivated, now on earth. Earth has a story left to tell

5 minutes ago, Zederia said:

the ending cutscene shows there's more left to do, which could indeed mean another DLC down the line. also, the "ARK" storyline is just the first ARK, and the ones we've been on. ARK ENDS on earth, now we have a story on EARTH to tell. it makes sense

BEYOND IS SPOILERS

Reveal hidden contents

All the ARKs return to earth on Extinction. the ARKs are no more, so ARK's story is over, that's not a question. Aberration came down with, and reactivated, now on earth. Earth has a story left to tell

Good point sir.

I think the devs have quite a lot of freedom here with what to do.

If they want they could continue with Ark, and make more Ark maps like scorched earth. e.g. an ocean map, a snow map, or a jungle map would all be cool. These would just not be part of the main story and take place before the Arks returned home.

Or they have the option of going straight to Ark 2, and continuing with this story they they set up to continue at the end of Extinction. They could even do both these options.

OR..... they could just never touch Ark again in any form. Just as likely.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:05 PM, chancho33015 said:

Can someone explain me how can there be an Ark 2 when ark one...Doesn't have a story? I mean...a relevant story. Sadly the story is so irrelevant that there are only a few people who have put a video together explaining...attempting to explain the story. But the writers did such a bad job on the story...it doesn't allow itself to be explain.

I mean, the delivery of the story is not important to the gameplay...perhaps that is why no one cares.

But it is clearly just bad writing and story implementation to the actual gameplay.

I think if they want to make Ark 2 they have to understand that this game is a fail in the storytelling and a win in the platform they created.

If they want to make a better game they need to hire people who have a big imagination. Ark itself if we are honest is nothing but a copy of Jurasic park in its essence. What is great about this game is the environments and the ability to do just about anything. Gameplay! However, future DLC will struggle I think since honestly doesn't push the game story wise anywhere as you are playing the game so the only motivation is he people you play with.

Also, is it me...or the only reason we all love this game is because we can do just about anything? Lol I mean, I can complain all day about ark...but still love it. Lol

I’m not gonna y’all about starry here because Ark is a survival game and you don’t need a story at all in order to have a decent survival game. What I’m gonna address here is you saying “Ark itself if we are honest Ian nothing but a copy of Jurassic Park.” Gimme a moment...*inhales* BOI, comparing Ark to Jurassic Park is like saying “Oh Hey, Mass Effect is just Halo because aliens exist in both of them!” They’re two entirely different franchises. There is no space age tech in Jurassic Park. Nobody’s riding dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. There is hardly any survival aspect Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park is a different franchise that treats the concept of dinosaurs completely differently than Ark.

As far as I am aware, there is no information on any further, major content expansions for ARK: Survival Evolved. It feels like the end of an era to me, somebody who bought it on Day One, twice. So, I put the question to you all, whilst we all enjoy Extinction, what do you think comes next? 

Does the ending spur your hopes for a sequel, as it does for me? Do you believe they'll keep building upon the current game for the future? Or something entirely different? I'm interested to know, as I for one, am very excited and optimistic for the future of the franchise!  ❤️

43 minutes ago, SneakyMcGee said:

As far as I am aware, there is no information on any further, major content expansions for ARK: Survival Evolved. It feels like the end of an era to me, somebody who bought it on Day One, twice. So, I put the question to you all, whilst we all enjoy Extinction, what do you think comes next? 

Does the ending spur your hopes for a sequel, as it does for me? Do you believe they'll keep building upon the current game for the future? Or something entirely different? I'm interested to know, as I for one, am very excited and optimistic for the future of the franchise!  ❤️

Some claim we'll have a new DLC based on the current ending of Extinction, others says WC prepared the setting for an Ark 2 game.

I've been here since day 1 as well. As much as I love the game, I would not like to see an Ark 2 game anytime soon. WC just proven no later than Thuesday that they can't deliver on time, nor a properly finished product (invisible rocks/trees as an example). Inherent bugs, exploits, duping, meshing and lack of any real disciplinary actions for the first 2 years of the game...

I laughed hard when peeps found out the BLDX, one of the most well known tribe (not for good reasons) beta tested SE/Aberration for WC, having an unfair advantage over the rest of the player base.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and the money spent (on my 2 accounts) was well worth it considering that I'm nearly at 5k hours into this adventure. The game has such a vast potential, especially with the survival aspects and map designs. Just take a look at PGMaps, such a cool thing with highly customizable features, BUT impossibility to had obelisks or bosses fights...

To answer your question, I tend to believe we'll have a 4th DLC (I'd call it Salvation based on the current ending) before having an Ark 2 game.

Regards.

1 hour ago, Darkholis said:

Some claim we'll have a new DLC based on the current ending of Extinction, others says WC prepared the setting for an Ark 2 game.

I've been here since day 1 as well. As much as I love the game, I would not like to see an Ark 2 game anytime soon. WC just proven no later than Thuesday that they can't deliver on time, nor a properly finished product (invisible rocks/trees as an example). Inherent bugs, exploits, duping, meshing and lack of any real disciplinary actions for the first 2 years of the game...

I laughed hard when peeps found out the BLDX, one of the most well known tribe (not for good reasons) beta tested SE/Aberration for WC, having an unfair advantage over the rest of the player base.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and the money spent (on my 2 accounts) was well worth it considering that I'm nearly at 5k hours into this adventure. The game has such a vast potential, especially with the survival aspects and map designs. Just take a look at PGMaps, such a cool thing with highly customizable features, BUT impossibility to had obelisks or bosses fights...

To answer your question, I tend to believe we'll have a 4th DLC (I'd call it Salvation based on the current ending) before having an Ark 2 game.

Regards.

That sounds plausible to me, and I do hope you're correct. I agree that it's too soon for a full blown sequel. To be honest, I'm not even sure I'd ever want to see a sequel - Personally, I'd prefer them to just keep expanding what they've got, hopefully taking some time to address those longstanding issues (performance, underlying meshing, etc.) but alas, it is a business, and a sequel generates more hype and talk than more DLC, so its probably inevitable.

Any ideas on what they could include in this hypothetical fourth DLC? Apart from the obvious of course (Looking at Extinction's ending, won't spoil it here just in case)

What do I hope they will do ? More optimasations, bug fixes and addition of content such as S+, kibble rework and the final batches of creature TLCs that we were supposed to get to the base game.

What do I actually thinks next. The hypothetical 4th DLC*, Ark 2 or completely new game.

*For the next DLC it would be nice to see a similiar theme to scorched, a Snow or Water DLC would be nice. More than likely I dont think it would be the 4th story DLC but a new modded map like the Center or Ragnarok.

I really hope they continue to develop the current game rather than make a new one. Like @AngrySaltire said, I hope they work on fixing the bugs/glitches/exploits, and adding some more content. For example, what happened to Primal Survival? Ascension from Scorched Earth? Boss wars? Kibble system overhaul? Implementing stuff from the Structures + mod? Adding to the Center and Ragnarok? Not to mention more creature tlc passes and all the other stuff the devs have promised over the years (just look at the “Upcoming Features” page on the Ark wiki). All this is easily a year or two’s worth of content, and that’s not counting possible dlcs (new maps and/or total conversions); whether they’re paid, free, and/or created by modders. An Ark sequel, with improved mechanics, graphics, etc, could be cool, but I feel like this game should be developed to its full potential before abandoning it and starting a new one. 

I suspect that we're not done with ARK completely, especially since Jeremy stated his interest in doing an ARK centered around aquatic gameplay multiple times during development. Even if the story is tied off completely with a nice bow (which I don't know yet because I haven't beaten Extinction) there is always the possibility of telling related but smaller stories in the same setting. For all we know, a completely different group of survivors operating on a completely different ARK made it possible for our heroes to do what they did without ever even meeting them. The potential for additional stories is quite extensive.

Ark 2 is also quite possible, but I think Wildcard would probably take a dive into a new IP (no pun intended) before they go that route, if they ever do. The main areas of improvement for ARK as a concept would have to be AI and tech trees in my opinion, and those two things might benefit greatly from a fresh slate and a new game engine/updated consumer and industry hardware.

12 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

I suspect that we're not done with ARK completely, especially since Jeremy stated his interest in doing an ARK centered around aquatic gameplay multiple times during development. 

I always thought that they missed a trick with the base game by not having one of the obelisks a sunken one and had the respective boss as an aquatic boss. 

1 hour ago, Royalstar said:

I really hope they continue to develop the current game rather than make a new one. Like @AngrySaltire said, I hope they work on fixing the bugs/glitches/exploits, and adding some more content. For example, what happened to Primal Survival? Ascension from Scorched Earth? Boss wars? Kibble system overhaul? Implementing stuff from the Structures + mod? Adding to the Center and Ragnarok? Not to mention more creature tlc passes and all the other stuff the devs have promised over the years (just look at the “Upcoming Features” page on the Ark wiki). All this is easily a year or two’s worth of content, and that’s not counting possible dlcs (new maps and/or total conversions); whether they’re paid, free, and/or created by modders. An Ark sequel, with improved mechanics, graphics, etc, could be cool, but I feel like this game should be developed to its full potential before abandoning it and starting a new one. 

I couldn't agree more! 

I hope there will be more official maps with new content and new places to explore.

I wouldn't buy an "Ark 2" if WC chose to do produce that mainly because I'm still enjoying Ark Survival Evolved.   I feel that supporting ASE's continued development is more likely to result in getting bugs fixed and getting more of the game optimised.

I also think it would be commercial suicide for WC not to bring S+ into vanilla Ark.  It's such a big quality of life improvement that lots of people want.  Nobody will ever trust or support WC with any future development if they go back on their promise to incorporate S+.

I bought Ark: Survival Evolved right around when they announced the scorched earth DLC, so I'm not as OG as the rest of you, but I have developed an emotional connection to the game over the past few years. I refuse to believe that's it, it can't be. The idea behind the game is absolutely genius, the game is already extremely fun to play and Wild Card can't just let go. So what's next? Ark 2.0? a 4th DLC? Here's this idea I have been contemplating for almost a year now:

What if, ARK had a singleplayer campaign mode. We already know the stories of the survivors on all 4 arks, so what if, we could play AS them. in the beginning, the player would choose what character they want to play as (the original 4 survivors). Then, they would be put on the map, given missions, made to explore the world, and live out the stories that we have read through explorer notes. meet the other characters, befriend them, wage war against them etc. basically, you take the game that is ARK, and turn it in an RPG with an open world. Players are still free to do as they like, explore the map, capture dinosaurs but their progression is lead by the main storyline which ends at them ascending from the ark they are in and moving on to the next.

I feel as if this would expand Ark's player base manifold, as well as enrich the experience for single players. there are mods already in place for tribes, for missions, but an official effort to make ARK into an RPG would be absolutely marvellous. The game is already there, the stories are already present, now we just need to implement human AI, missions and voila. The best possible game I could think of- Single player ark, where you live out the lives of one of the first survivors in an RPG fashion until you finally reach the ending we saw with the release of Extinction.

I would love to further discuss this. If anybody thinks the idea has any substance, please get it to the attention of the developers. :) Thanks

On 11/10/2018 at 2:19 PM, Royalstar said:

THIS! I would love to see Primal Survival, but I have a feeling that I'm dreaming. Still, it would be nice to see WC working on that list of upcoming features that they haven't gotten around to yet.

Archived