v278 Giga enrage mechanic changes

DarthaNyan

- The Giga is no longer raged by fall damage
- The Giga's rage mechanic is now based on damage taken before reduction from external sources (saddles, yuty)

This here basically means that tamed Gigas will enrage from literally every serious source of damage: alpha rexes, wild gigas, titanos.
And will be pretty much perma-raging during raids.

It is just a conjecture at this point but what are your thoughts on this one?

Edit: rider's buff will probably also count as an external source, as well as mate boost so its "pure damage vs rage meter", but dont quote me on this one.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use my Gigas as meat gatherers so I am not too concerned. If there are any Alphas or Gigas - I turn to my Lightning Wyv - find a ledge and Zzzaap Zzzzap Zaaaap!

It would be quite annoying if they are now unable to help protect you from a wild Giga or A Rex though as I know not many people have time time to get Wyverns etc to take these out. As there are limited places for bases - some people have no choice but to inhabit one of the more dangerous islands.

Unless WC's aim is to make the Giga a no use dino and one that is there purely as a Wild dino then this idea would make it exactly that as noone would bother taming/raising one.

Guest vassiliOFP85

I'm very worried by this change as well, as I feel it will render Giga useless apart from being a good meat gatherer.... It's the damn APEX predator, shouldn't it be able to take on other high damaging dinos?! Sounds seem fair to me.

10 minutes ago, Sharpshot879 said:

Stop with the giga nerfs please...

Not necessary a nerf if done properly.

The change just means that Giga will enrage from X number of hits coming from same source no matter what. Number of hits depends on threshold devs will set (probably in % of max HP). So, for example, if your Giga has 30k HP and threshold is 50% (will probably be way lower tho) then giga will enrage no matter what as soon as it gets 15k of unfiltered damage in quick succession.

3 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

This here basically means that tamed Gigas will enrage from literally every serious source of damage: alpha rexes, wild gigas, titanos.
And will be pretty much perma-raging during raids.

It is just a conjecture at this point but what are your thoughts on this one?

Edit: rider's buff will probably also count as an external source, as well as mate boost so its "pure damage vs rage meter", but dont quote me on this one.

Maybe it encourages us to ACTUALLY let the giga rage.

Think about it. The giga is pretty ill-suited for a traveling mount (low stam, low mobility, etc). Wouldn't it be more efficient to let it follow a tamed flyer, or some other mobile land dino (like a thyla) which you will ride?

And afaik raged gigas won't turn around to attack you if they're already fighting something (ur just in the line of fire if you were riding one) so you should be OK, and also end up with a tougher giga.

Yeah, that Giga nerf is pretty terrible, especially for me. I mostly play on an Unofficial that has 3x Dino Damage, 3x Dino Resist (so Dino vs Dino is 9x damage), makes PvM pretty fast paced. If my 154 Armor Giga Saddle and 30% reduced damage from 100% Imprint aren't going to make Rage less likely, then my Giga will be enraging constantly. Yet another Giga nerf.

If this is how they approach it. 

10 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

The change just means that Giga will enrage from X number of hits coming from same source no matter what. Number of hits depends on threshold devs will set (probably in % of max HP). So, for example, if your Giga has 30k HP and threshold is 50% (will probably be way lower tho) then giga will enrage no matter what as soon as it gets 15k of unfiltered damage in quick succession.

Maybe their aim is to get people to put some points in HP not just melee thus balancing it out in their views. 

I'm impartial to this nerf as I don't own a Giga just trying to figure out reasoning for it. I will say it's going to be a sight to see some video's of people air dropping Giga's into bases off of Quetzal's now that fall damage doesn't rage them. 

Glad to know I'm not the only who saw that patch note. I do hope WC changes that because that makes mc and asc giga saddle useless since it'll enrage anyways.

Gigas are good meat gathers but bred gigas help stop wild ones as well as players, good for pvp and pve, this nerf will make it near impossible for tribes to defend themselves from wild gigas and even harder to raid with em. This makes getting giga hearts difficult as well, considering my imprinited giga I spent two weeks on is nothing but a meat gather now?

Wish wildcard would just leave the poor giga alone, hasn't it taken enough punishment already?

11 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

So what, gigas are to become a useless dino now apart from being a very over the top meat collecting machine ? Whats the point if that is the case ? Remeber the threads for when the giga rage was bugged ? Going to be good fun if the gigas going to be perma raging lol.

Useless, yet does over 2000 damage per bite at 30+k health

6 minutes ago, McTayTay said:

A bred giga does =)

Again, what is the point if it can enrage so easily now? saddles and yutys can't help it anymore.

I think the meta with gigas will be to whistle them unridden on stuff if you expect them to get hurt. So youd fly above your target, and whistle a couple gigas on a titan or something. Maybe wildcard views them as the untameable beast you have to keep far away from you.

1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Maybe their aim is to get people to put some points in HP not just melee thus balancing it out in their views. 

I'm impartial to this nerf as I don't own a Giga just trying to figure out reasoning for it. I will say it's going to be a sight to see some video's of people air dropping Giga's into bases off of Quetzal's now that fall damage doesn't rage them. 

1 hour ago, Wazzamaniac said:

I think the meta with gigas will be to whistle them unridden on stuff if you expect them to get hurt. So youd fly above your target, and whistle a couple gigas on a titan or something. Maybe wildcard views them as the untameable beast you have to keep far away from you.

Frankly I think you guys are putting a lot more thought into this than wildcard did haha. I don't think the goal was to work Giga into any particular niche in the meta. Countless players have been asking for Giga to be given a rework where he's shrunken down, brought in line with Rex and Spino stat-wise, and having his rage reworked into a positive berserker effect. Wildcard knows that Giga is still OP, but one of the company's very stubborn bosses insists that everything else be a mere peon next to his favorite dino. So instead of listening to their players they just make the rage mechanic more pronounced and hope that it's enough to call it balanced.

13 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Remeber the threads for when the giga rage was bugged ? Going to be good fun if the gigas going to be perma raging lol.

Yeah this will be entertaining haha

Given the way people often use Gigas while raiding, I don't think it'll change the meta that much on the PvP side. In PvE, it'll probably force people to adapt a more-PvP-like approach, whistling the Giga onto a target from a distance. I don't know if the Rage imparts bonus damage on the tamed Giga as it does the wild Giga, but if so, they realistically just buffed the Giga by allowing it to berserk with a much lower damage threshold (i.e. it doesn't need to literally take the damage for it to rage, it just needs to have the unreduced damage inflicted upon it).

10 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

No, absolutely not. Have you ever put a point in to Health on a Giga?
It goes up by roughly 20-40 points per level. That's it. There's a reason Gigas are levelled in nothing but Melee, every other stat goes up by such small and insignificant margins.

10 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

26 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

That's weird. It's supposed to, according to it's dossier and wiki page, go up .04% of base or roughly 680 each level (base 17khp) but no, like everybody else I've always just leveled melee on Giga's. 

It is because by just imprinting you get a extra 10k health so there is no need to push health gigas are dps and health takes away from that and the little advantage you will get from putting points in health is useless a vs a full melee giga you get .04% health per level but 1% damage per level so damage is the better choice.

3 minutes ago, nautic13 said:

It is because by just imprinting you get a extra 10k health so there is no need to push health gigas are dps and health takes away from that and the little advantage you will get from putting points in health is useless a vs a full melee giga you get .04% health per level but 1% damage per level so damage is the better choice.

Lol, no I understand this. It was in reference to what the Ark devs may be trying to accomplish if they would make the rage mechanic for a Giga based off of total HP pool. If they are reducing hp of tank dino's but do nothing to prevent full melee leveled Giga's, tank dino's lose all value as a Giga will 2 chomp everything. So perhaps there thinking is get players to put points in hp somehow and the only way to do that would be to make it harder to enrage a Giga with higher HP. However as someone else pointed out, people would just use whistle commands on the Giga's and let the rage mechanic due the work on sieges. 

55 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

That's weird. It's supposed to, according to it's dossier and wiki page, go up .04% of base or roughly 680 each level (base 17khp) but no, like everybody else I've always just leveled melee on Giga's. 

I don't agree with your maths. 0.04% is the same as multiplying with 0.0004.

17 000 / 0.0004 = 6.8 so basically: if your Giga only has the base damage of 17khp, each level will give you just under 7hp increase... In order to get 20 hp per level your Giga needs to start (at post tame/maturation) at 50 000hp which at 40hp/lvl (according to the wiki) is 825 levels so either 20 is more than you can get, or the wiki is wrong.

No wonder people don't level it up!

5 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

I don't agree with your maths. 0.04% is the same as multiplying with 0.0004.

17 000 / 0.0004 = 6.8 so basically if your Giga only has the base damage of 17khp, each level will give you just under 7hp increase... No kidding people don't level it up!

:$ My math's is bad. This also explains a few other miscalculations. 

What's that over there!!!!

5a7dbb7ca0d1f_Imgone.thumb.gif.d855f3a2dff375047eac4020706d7d2b.gif

Archived